Gramps: genealogical research program

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
muggins

#31 Post by muggins »

@ramberler1939,

done, please see the first post.

@tallboy,

I've petified debian packages for graphviz & ttf-freefonts, on the first page, but no idea if they're working properly with gramps?

cheers

tallboy

#32 Post by tallboy »

hi muggins, thank you for the latest additions.

I get some warnings when starting gramps from a terminal window, but if the spell checker, image metadata and map functions are not needed, all other functions seem to work as intended. On my dpup484beta4, gramps is also faster that earlier versions.

Code: Select all

6200: WARNING: Spell.py: line 60: Spelling checker is not installed
12365: WARNING: bottombar.gpr.py: line 90: WARNING: pyexiv2 module not loaded.  Image metadata functionality will not be available.
12573: WARNING: geography.gpr.py: line 42: WARNING: osmgpsmap module not loaded. Geography functionality will not be available.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/plug/_manager.py", line 219, in load_plugin
    _module = self.import_plugin(pdata)
  File "/usr/share/gramps/gen/plug/_manager.py", line 256, in import_plugin
    module = __import__(pdata.mod_name)
  File "/usr/share/gramps/plugins/docgen/LaTeXDoc.py", line 51, in <module>
    import Image
ImportError: No module named Image
When I tried to make graphs from the Reports menu, which gramps specifies that Graphviz is used to make, I get this error:

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libgvc.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The font choices with the graphs, besides unspecified Default, are limited to PostScript / Helvetica or TrueType / FreeSans. I am not sure if that is any indication of an error with ttf-freefonts.

I also tried running gramps in retroprecise_5.4.2 with exactly the same results. Since both puppies are debian/ubuntu based, the libgvc.so.5 may be a debian error, I don't know if slacko puppies get the same error message.

Gramps seem to work very well without the additional files and libs, but I am in a phase where adding people to gramps is the main task, not generating reports with graphics, so I haven't tested all functionality.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

zippytex

Just downloaded the latest gramps you converted

#33 Post by zippytex »

Just a note to say thank you again for your hard work and it works just like you said it would. I am using it with the latest download of Slakopuppy.

I really appreciate your efforts as gramps frees me from Windows.

Thanks, Mary

zippytex

gramps 3.4.3

#34 Post by zippytex »

Hi, I am always coming to you with my hand out. Were you going to update the pet pkgs with this update or wait till 4.0 comes out?

Thanks,
Mary

muggins

#35 Post by muggins »

@zippytex,

will try & upload 3.4.3 tomorrow...this time as an sfs.

cheers

muggins

#36 Post by muggins »

OK, I've repackaged the debian gramps as gramps-3.4.3-3.sfs. (9.43Mbytes)

It comes with techno's python, libdb-4.4.so &, (hopefully working?), graphviz.

I tried getting spellcheck & osmgpsmap working but it is beyond my python enfeebled peabrain (I even tried using python easy_install & pip but couldn't even get them to work!)

zippytex

Sorry it took so long....

#37 Post by zippytex »

Sorry it took so long to respond, the email notification got lost in my junk mail folder. I have corrected that. Thanks so much for all the effort you put into making this available. I do love this program. Mary

zippytex

Re: Gramps: genealogical research program

#38 Post by zippytex »

Gramps has issued its last 3.xxx series update. From now on it will be 4.xxx and involves something called, python-gobject (>=3.3.2). As I understand it, they will keep the 3.xxx available for those with, I guess, older systems.

So, since this is the last update, would you consider doing it into a pet friendly form? It is 3.4.5 and after you install it, it comes out 3.4.5.1.

I want you to know that I really appreciate your efforts of support. I could mail you some great! chocolate chip cookies???

If you have the time, thanks and if not thanks!

Mary

don570

new gramps version

#39 Post by don570 »

new gramps version gramps-3.4.5
http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/92cf82e9

I dragged the newer version on top of older version and it seems to
work in Slacko 5.5 and Precise, but not in Raring (because of
problems with python). I could only make a pet version.

zippytex

#40 Post by zippytex »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87100

I used the info on this thread to install 3.4.5. It also worked on slacko 5.5

Thanks, Mary

Pelo

Gramps 3.4.1.1 Lucid 5.2.8 perfect !

#41 Post by Pelo »

Gramps 3.4.1.1 Lucid 5.2.8 perfect ! The same for Slacko 5.5.
Very nice product.
Nice too with Puppy : DataCrow collections
click here
Attachments
Monstres.jpg
Slegopen made in Hungaria runs Dracula family (Gramps)
(80.63 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

fplum

Launching Gramps

#42 Post by fplum »

First let me introduce myself. I am Forrest Plumstead. I have used Ubuntu off and on for years. (More off then on.) I have just started using Puppy because it is lighter, and doesn't slow my older computer down.

I have also used Gramps before but not very much. So please treat me as ignorant with both Puppy and Gramps. Speak slowly use one syllable words. Use the Idiots guide and 101 approach. Thank you.

Now my problem. I used Puppy Package Manager to download and install
Gramps. I said yes to all the dependencies, and libraries. I found Gramps under Utilities, but when I click on it nothing happens.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, HELP!?!

fplum

Launching Gramps

#43 Post by fplum »

Today I ran Check Dependencies installed package. I received this message: gnome-mime-data keyutils krb5 libcanberra libgnome-keyring missing dependencies.

slackfan

#44 Post by slackfan »

Hi

Until yet, to use Gramps I did restart my PC and use Ubuntu (actually 13.10) because I didn't know some SFS with Gramps for Puppy.

I did now discover in the last day that there is some one at the depository from RHS for its modulary system available for different Puplets (I am using the LazzYTHD_100 today because it starts on my PC without some Dialog directly in Xorg and works perfectly. it is enough for me!) and I did start gramps:

it works!

but

and it is not a Puppy question

how to make my data on Ubuntu usuable in Puppy in Gramps?

(if it is not possible, It make no sense to try to use gramps in Puppy as my genealogy is about ready in Ubuntu: I can and will not begin again! I will only add some lateral parents if I discover new data on the web).

kind regards

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 273#766273

slackfan

#45 Post by slackfan »

hm

it seems so, that it is perhaps necessary to start gramps in console mode to pass the name of the file. so the manpage of gramps if I do understand correctly.

but how to start a Python application out a LP2_xxx.sfs from console as it is not in the usual file system?

tallboy

#46 Post by tallboy »

slackfan wrote:how to make my data on Ubuntu usuable in Puppy in Gramps?
In puppy, Gramps makes a hidden directory /root/.gramps that contain all settings, preferences and data, upon first run.
If the Gramps in puppy containes no saved files, remove the hidden /root/.gramps directory in your puppy, and replace it with a copy of the .gramps in your /home/, or whatever they use, in Ubuntu. Always make a backup of that directory! If it is the first time you open a .gramps from an earlier version, Gramps will ask if it should convert it to the newer version (which cannot be opened by an older Gramps).

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Pelo

Gramps, lost data

#47 Post by Pelo »

Gramps, lost data. I Enjoy the previous post, tallboy, I lost my previous session. I am a new comer to Gramps.
Attachments
gramps.jpg
Genealogists use Gramps
(65.45 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Gramps, an genealogiy appli, not only !

#48 Post by Pelo »

Runs perfectly on all Puppies;
Oui answers all my questions here
oui
Attachments
Colonel.jpg
Find your glorious ancestries
(67.8 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

This topic should be the one here all topics gramps are link

#49 Post by Pelo »

This topic should be the one here all topics gramps are linked. In My Opinion.
SFS
Database of people Dead ... or Alive

Pelo

XenialDog and Antix provide Gramps using Synaptic

#50 Post by Pelo »

Gramps installed on my XenialDog (USB SmileyWorld) and Antix (USB Flash Voyager). Application downloaded with Synaptic with no trouble.
alternative genealogy appli for Puppy Linux
Beware data between Gramps versions are not fully interchangeable :!: