Security Measures needed for puppy linux?

For discussions about security.
abe10tiger

Security Measures needed for puppy linux?

#1 Post by abe10tiger »

I know Puppy Linux is safe and all from viruses but are there any security measures I need to take to really ensure safety?

I'm just curious and all and I don't really know much about Puppy Linux yet so I thought about asking about this.

Thanks in advance. :P
Isn't she cute? :wink:
[img]http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7800000/Icon-Yui-k-on-7823032-75-75.jpg[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Where are your weaknesses?

Ignorance?
Educate yourself :)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/security

Are you the only person using your computer?
Use multisession

Are you giving out info on Facebook or to any phish
that comes swimming by?

You could GROWL . . .
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 216#335216

. . . or you could turn on the Puppy firewall with the autowizard
and run happily ever after . . . :)

Hope that helps :)

Puppy Linux
Educating penguins since 2003
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

abe10tiger

#3 Post by abe10tiger »

Thanks for the reply. That'll really help. :D
Isn't she cute? :wink:
[img]http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7800000/Icon-Yui-k-on-7823032-75-75.jpg[/img]

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Lobster wrote:~
Lobster, your my man.

Thank you very much.

~

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

abe10tiger wrote:Thanks for the reply. That'll really help. :D
I have another reply. You joined and established yourself for a few hours and then you updated your signature to link to a commercial website.

I agree with Lobster : Educate yourself :) You have general question, there is a lot of general information already assembled on this forum to go over.

As far as Lobster's question Ignorance?

I believe quite to the contrary, abe10tiger is very savvy. Abe10tiger, want to call my bluff on that?

~

abe10tiger

#6 Post by abe10tiger »

Sorry about that Bruce B. :oops:

postfs1

#7 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 00:33, edited 2 times in total.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

postfs1,

This thread won't make sense without a brief explanation. Everyday 'new members' sign on to promote something. If the first post is promoting something, it is likely to get removed.

These removals give us as a spam free environment even though we are being spammed. Removal of certain material also prevents people from using the Forum to get better search engine rankings for the promoted website.

In this case the new member signed up with no signature, made posts and got established. Later he added the signature. It no longer exists with the link. In other words what you see is different than what was there.

I hope things make more sense with a little explanation on my part.

~

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

Haha I got fooled by the Anime Avatars. Them are kind of cute yes.
Still a kind of cheating to use such to distract us from being observant on links.

So that is how to do it. First appear to be the real thing and then sneak in the link to the spam and then even apologize. Kind of friendly spam that one.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

abe10tiger

#10 Post by abe10tiger »

Guys, I wasn't trying to promote or advertise anything. It's just selfish old me trying to be popular. I'm just selfish trying to gain fame and I hate my self. I didn't want to cause any trouble here, I just wanted to ask a few questions because I've never heard of Puppy Linux before.

I know I'm ignorant but please forgive me, I'm a young lad who's just trying to fit in. I'm not attentive either and I'm lazy to search for questions, that's why I ask.

I'm not trying to be dramatic and all, just explaining myself. Puppy Linux really saved the life of my 'antique laptop' and I really am grateful! Sorry for being suspicious but I'm not planning to do anything bad!

This might get me banned but I won't stop using Puppy Linux.

Forgive me once more. :cry:

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

You're the most brilliant forum social engineer I've ever seen and/or what you say you are. I hope you find a happy home here.

~
Last edited by Bruce B on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

Abe cool that you got the browser crashes solved. I trust that it is that you don't have enough memory. I bought a Desktop way back in 2003 or 4 and that one was a HP/Compaq and maybe it was 256 MB as you also have. So that can be challenging if one open many tabs and have youtube going.

I love this text from you.
In Wary Puppy, whenever I click the browse button, only Sea Monkey comes out and nothing else.
I hope it brought a big smile on Barry Kauler's face knowing how surprised us newbies get when it is not Firefox that greet us but SeaMonkey instead.

Devs like Barry love SM due to it is small and still have features that none else have for that size.

Reason is them want Puppy to boot to RAM and that makes Puppy super fast compared to how Knoppix or other like Ubuntu behaved in same situations. So to them SM is better than FF but your you and me we prefer FF even if it is big.

A true mystery is it not :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though