Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 10:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Macpup 525 & Macpup 528 & 528v2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 32 [478 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 30, 31, 32 Next
runtt21

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun 2011, 18:55    Post subject:  

Quote:
I would try a frugal install

Try it on a usb flash drive ,then you can take it anywhere. Boot up on any computer that will boot from usb with the ram option and your good to go.If you use several computers you can make a save file for each one and any drivers/setting will be saved.See the first post in the thread for usb installs.
russoodle

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun 2011, 20:43    Post subject:  

Thanks for the Engage guide, runtt Smile

openwell2 wrote:
I do feel like a pig though! I seem to have it all.

It's good to hear of happy pigs who have it all Very Happy

I'm glad you managed to sort it out successfully and if you decide to follow runtt's suggestion to make a frugal install to usb stick as well, then you'll be even more of a pig Wink

stevecanb

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2011, 02:01    Post subject: Modifying remastered Macpup 525 startup  

I have tried Macpup 525 and really like it. I have very limited experience with Linux.

I have been experimenting with remastering it to make a live CD which my wife (who has only ever used Windows) can use painlessly to access internet banking securely, avoiding the risk of malware in a Windows system.

I have managed to save modified pppoeconf and pap-secrets files into the etc/ppp directory in a remastered version, so that my wife can start an internet connection without having to set up DNS etc.

However, I need to make a few additional changes to make it simple enough for my wife to use.

Problem 1

However, the remastered version boots to a text-only video probe screen rather than booting directly to the desktop, as the original version did. While this is easy to deal with, it will deter my wife. How can I get the remastered version to boot to the desktop? Would deleting the /tmp/root/ directory during the remastering process, and copying the contents of the root directory from RAM into the /tmp/ directory achieve this?

Problem 2

Is there any easy way to prevent the initial dialog box about personal settings from appearing after the desktop has loaded? And the subsequent message saying ‘nothing was changed’?

Problem 3

Is there an easy way to stop the automatic search for an internet connection from running once the desktop has loaded?

Problem 4

Is there any easy way to have the puppy internet connect wizard start automatically after the desktop is loaded? This would save my wife from having to navigate through the ‘Wizard wizard’.

Problem 5

Is there any easy way to have pmount start start automatically after the desktop is loaded? This would remove one more step for my wife to navigate (she would need to mount a partition on the hard drive, and / or a USB drive, to save data.

I am hoping that the solutions to problems 2-5 are similar, such as editing a startup config file.

Sorry to ask for so much help. However, the information might be useful to other beginners who would find a similarly modified version of Macpup useful.

BTW I tried to register at http://hardkap.net/forums/topic/macpup-525 to ask these questions, but registration is not allowed on the site.
James C

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2011, 02:16    Post subject: Re: Modifying remastered Macpup 525 startup  

stevecanb wrote:
I have tried Macpup 525 and really like it. I have very limited experience with Linux.

I have been experimenting with remastering it to make a live CD which my wife (who has only ever used Windows) can use painlessly to access internet banking securely, avoiding the risk of malware in a Windows system.

I have managed to save modified pppoeconf and pap-secrets files into the etc/ppp directory in a remastered version, so that my wife can start an internet connection without having to set up DNS etc.

However, I need to make a few additional changes to make it simple enough for my wife to use.

Problem 1

However, the remastered version boots to a text-only video probe screen rather than booting directly to the desktop, as the original version did. While this is easy to deal with, it will deter my wife. How can I get the remastered version to boot to the desktop? Would deleting the /tmp/root/ directory during the remastering process, and copying the contents of the root directory from RAM into the /tmp/ directory achieve this?

Problem 2

Is there any easy way to prevent the initial dialog box about personal settings from appearing after the desktop has loaded? And the subsequent message saying ‘nothing was changed’?

Problem 3

Is there an easy way to stop the automatic search for an internet connection from running once the desktop has loaded?

Problem 4

Is there any easy way to have the puppy internet connect wizard start automatically after the desktop is loaded? This would save my wife from having to navigate through the ‘Wizard wizard’.

Problem 5

Is there any easy way to have pmount start start automatically after the desktop is loaded? This would remove one more step for my wife to navigate (she would need to mount a partition on the hard drive, and / or a USB drive, to save data.

I am hoping that the solutions to problems 2-5 are similar, such as editing a startup config file.

Sorry to ask for so much help. However, the information might be useful to other beginners who would find a similarly modified version of Macpup useful.

BTW I tried to register at http://hardkap.net/forums/topic/macpup-525 to ask these questions, but registration is not allowed on the site.

Until runtt appears. I can probably help you with problem one......playdayz released a pet just to solve that exact problem and allow remasters to boot straight to the desktop.Go down to around the middle of the page.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html

Actual pet is
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Remaster_Lucid525.pet

It should work in Macpup,but you may want to wait until runtt responds.
HTH.
runtt21

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun 2011, 16:48    Post subject:  

Quote:
my wife (who has only ever used Windows) can use painlessly to access internet banking securely,

What I would suggest is that you just install mp525 on a flash drive or boot with the live cd and put a save file on a flash drive. After that first save every time you boot all of your network setting/driver settings loads up solving all of your problems. All she has to do is click on the firefox icon once and then select "start private browsing" in it's menu . Doing that with the use of the firewall is about as safe as you can be. If she wants to save pics or music or what ever just use the folder to open rox. Everything gets save at shutdown except what she does in firefox while running privately.

Quote:
I tried to register

Sorry about that .We have had some issues at our forum that are getting fixed.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul 2011, 04:50    Post subject:  

runtt21, there's a small problem with PPM - /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh replaces the category and the icon of .desktop files it doesn't like and the default is Executable.xpm, that's why the menus get so ugly.

I'm working on a workaround atm and I'm sure Macpup can benefit from it Smile

ICQ Number 
runtt21

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul 2011, 19:09    Post subject:  

That part of the script is original puppy.
smokey01

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul 2011, 21:35    Post subject:  

runtt21, very very nice.

I note you have removed all of the icon sets. Is it possible to reinstall some?

I tried and it seems to have affected the menu system.

Mind you I'm still running live from a DVD, no save file yet. Will that make a difference?

Cheers

runtt21

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul 2011, 22:42    Post subject:  

The icons sets i removed where the big one that would be on the desktop in jwm . The usr/local/lib/x11/theme stuff. I left the little icons that the puppy menus use. The icons that are used on the ibar are in /root/icons. Don't delete those unless the new one have the same name and image type, .png .jpg etc...

I dont see why changing the puppy icons would effect the menus though. What happened to them? Now there is a bug in efreet with this build that some types of icons will cause a white box (see first post in the thread) but after f1 it should be ok. Any png or jpg are ok.
WillM

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 17:09    Post subject:  

Yes, very nice. I am learning to get around in Enlightenment, it seems easy to customize without having to edit any configuration files, all from the Settings Panel. Firefox updated itself to 5.0. I showed this to a friend, he was amazed how fast Macpup runs. I want to put Macpup on a USB to show some others. Thanks for this great desktop.
smokey01

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 17:18    Post subject:  

runtt21 wrote:
The icons sets i removed where the big one that would be on the desktop in jwm . The usr/local/lib/x11/theme stuff. I left the little icons that the puppy menus use. The icons that are used on the ibar are in /root/icons. Don't delete those unless the new one have the same name and image type, .png .jpg etc...

I dont see why changing the puppy icons would effect the menus though. What happened to them? Now there is a bug in efreet with this build that some types of icons will cause a white box (see first post in the thread) but after f1 it should be ok. Any png or jpg are ok.

I have been playing with Macpup for the most part of yesterday and it is very impressive.

I haven't tried to reproduce the problem I mentioned above but then it may have been me pressing an incorrect button. Once I have backed up the save file I will install anther Icon-Set and see what occurs, probably not a lot of point really has they don't have a lot of effect. I might just change the one or two for the main shelf.

It is quite different to operate and configure from the conventional puppies, that's not a bad thing, maybe it could do with a puppy help 101 tutorial.

Thanks

runtt21

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 20:36    Post subject:  

Almost everything you need to know about using e17 in macpup( and any other e17 distro Laughing )

http://hardkap.net/forums/topic/e17-guide

A new theme this week and a new TOY !!! And I am starting to work on the lite version. Stayed tuned!!!!
Tman

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 21:40    Post subject: ...  

runtt21,

There is no doubt that macpup is a magnificient looking puplet. However, I still have a major peeve with it and with most puplets in general; messy menu entries. Other linux distros do not suffer from this. Becuase I like your puplet, I have decided to make you a pet to correct this problem. If you find it beneficial, please add it to your new releases. I just made it so it has not been thouroughly tested, but I don't see how it can effect the stability of the OS. Keep up the good work.
macpup525-modifed-menu-items.pet
Description  macpup525 customized menu entried
pet

Download 
Filename  macpup525-modifed-menu-items.pet 
Filesize  16.72 KB 
Downloaded  269 Time(s) 
runtt21

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul 2011, 16:15    Post subject:  

About the menus.... It's a bit easier than editing every .desktop file.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62013&start=100

The reason I leave the generic is explained there.
runtt21

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul 2011, 18:30    Post subject:  

The new MP Mystery theme By Agust. Logo by Archie over at the pclinuxos forum. And customized by CatDude !!!! Will be uploaded by the end of the week as well as an update to the Silk theme. These new themes are set up to work the new Clock module also coming this week. They also work with the regular clock.

The new clock combines the clock with the calendar and gives you the option to use a digital clock.( But it's huge )

Page 4 of 32 [478 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 30, 31, 32 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: