Polarpup-005 with Qt4-4.8.0 and Gstreamer libs inbuild

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
umair

#406 Post by umair »

pemasu wrote:Hmm....you possibly mean that there is no wireless icon in tray. That usually happens if the frisbee-tray loads before your wireless kernel module has been loaded and the wireless is ready for action.

Open /root/Startup/frisbee-tray file and add as first line:
sleep5
and save the file. To be paranoid, add: sleep 10
but that is extreme measure, but I have used it as generic solution.

If you mean something else, you need to elaborote your meaning more.
Thnx for the quick response.
I mean to say that, we saw LAN eth0 Activity Icon in Taskbar by default in All Puppies (where the two small monitors shows the upload and download speed of LAN).
Hope U got my point. Sorry for inconvenience.
regards
UMAIR

pemasu

#407 Post by pemasu »

Now I got it, I think. You mean network_tray. I dont include it to my builds.

But...this should work:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -2.4.3.pet

umair

#408 Post by umair »

pemasu wrote:Now I got it, I think. You mean network_tray. I dont include it to my builds.

But...this should work:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -2.4.3.pet
Thnx for the reply and help.
Yeah I was asking about Network Tray :-)
Works perfectly.
Once again Thnx pemasu
Regards
UMAIR

marco07

#409 Post by marco07 »

Hi Pemasu:
I am still enjoying Polarpup-005 on my Thinkpad R60 laptop. Lately Firefox was updated automatically to version 10. It is working OK. However, the flash player was not updated and FF is now incompatible with this old version of Flash player. How can I update the flash player? Polar 005 doesn't have a "get flash player" tool built in. Could you please help.
Thanks!
P. S., BTW, I also enjoy Snow puppy 014 (best fit) on my older Thinkpad 600X.

pemasu

#410 Post by pemasu »

Try this pet. I dont know if something is missing. but you know soon.

Install the pet and launch in console: getflash

That way you know if it errors and it give you some error message which you can post if it does not work.
Attachments
getflash-0.8.pet
(7.37 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

marco07

#411 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Try this pet. I dont know if something is missing. but you know soon.

Install the pet and launch in console: getflash

That way you know if it errors and it give you some error message which you can post if it does not work.
Here is what I get:
sh-4.1# getflash
'http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl ... 386.tar.gz'
NEWVERSION=11.1.102.55
INSTALLED=11.1.102.55

/usr/sbin/getflash: line 23: 13230 Terminated LANG=$LANG_USER gtkdialog-splash -fontsize "large" -icon $MYICON --placement center -bg $BGCOLOR -timeout $TIMEOUT -close never -text "$@"
rxvt: the locale is not supported by Xlib, working without locale support.
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
/usr/sbin/getflash: line 23: 14171 Terminated LANG=$LANG_USER gtkdialog-splash -fontsize "large" -icon $MYICON --placement center -bg $BGCOLOR -timeout $TIMEOUT -close never -text "$@" (wd: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins)
sh-4.1#

Now I do not have any Flash player at all. The installed one is apparently removed when I ran the getflash.
Thanks!

pemasu

#412 Post by pemasu »

I dont get an idea what didnt work from that code post. But I will create a pet for you which installs the latest flash. As you know....it was not intentional that you lose your existing flashplayer and dont get newer one.

I will boot Polarpup soon also and check which version of getflash works with it and if Polarpup needs some missing fix.

marco07

#413 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:I dont get an idea what didnt work from that code post. But I will create a pet for you which installs the latest flash. As you know....it was not intentional that you lose your existing flashplayer and dont get newer one.

I will boot Polarpup soon also and check which version of getflash works with it and if Polarpup needs some missing fix.
Pemasu:
Thanks!
I did not mean to say that you caused the removal of old Flash player. Of course not! Sorry if my note implied as such.
I believe it is a good idea to re-examine Polar 005 with FF 10. There might be a need for some minor fixes and upgrading. Polar 005 for my Thinkpad R60 is a jewel and I seriously do not like to lose it. It is as if it was built exclusively for this laptop.
FYI, I have been testing your exprimo puppies up to the latest x.13 and like them as well. The only reason I never install them is because of my desired application namely Kmymoney which I use on daily basis and as you know requires a lot of dependencies in Exprimo.
Thanks again.

pemasu

#414 Post by pemasu »

Okay. I believe you have the flashplayer installed and updated to the latest. It just is non functional without my firefox-fix pet.

Uninstall the previous flashget pet and install this new one. It has the version I use in dpup exprimo. It works. I have tested it in polarpup and I post from it with firefox 10 and latest flash.

You can launch it...it takes some time before the box appears. It shows if you have flash installed and the version also. If not...it tells you that. Install flash if it shows you dont have flash and after installation close the box.

Install also the firefox-fix pet. Close all firefox sessions and then launch firefox again. It should now work with latest flash.

So...the incompatibility comes from firefox 10 and latest flash. They need some arrangement.
Attachments
getflash-yad-version-0.0.1.pet
(3.51 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
firefox-fix-0.0.1.pet
(542 Bytes) Downloaded 274 times

Puppyt

#415 Post by Puppyt »

marco07 wrote:Hi Pemasu:
I am still enjoying Polarpup-005 on my Thinkpad R60 laptop...
P. S., BTW, I also enjoy Snow puppy 014 (best fit) on my older Thinkpad 600X.
+1 marco07 - Polarpup-005 is my "go to" OS on my T60 widescreen. (I have about 6 installed for dual-booting.) I reckon we should approach Lenovo to have their ThinkPad models renamed "ThinkPemasu".

I'm running FF8.0.1 on it at the moment, to no end of grief as everyone can relate to "using" the FF8 and FF9 series. I've held off upgrading (?) to FF10 and instead went with your Qupzilla pet, pemasu. What a revelation! Works just like FF used to (without add-ons), with other performance surprises under the hood.
My only reservation is that the navigation icons aren't called up properly, and there is a minor issue with the boxing for text entered into the address and search bars. I mentioned the issue on sc0ttman's 'Akita' thread and he suggested a library update - but I'm hazy on the details. Could I ask you take another look at compiling that again for PolarPup, pemasu? Also, adding jemimah's latest Frisbee would be a huge bonus, when that happens,
Cheers!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

pemasu

#416 Post by pemasu »

Sure....I could compile Qupzilla for Polarpup. I think too that the Qupzilla is best of those more or less lightweight browsers. I will compile it probably this evening.

Puppyt

#417 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks pemasu - that is most appreciated, even given that Qupzilla is in early development, your QT environment would seem to be perfect for it - from what I understand.
I was using your Wine pet earlier today, and the old Win/Mac gold-standard statistics program, "StatView 5.01", on it. It's "abandonware" nowadays, but you can find copies of it still on those filesharing sites (?) I am yet to find StatViews' equal, without having to upgrade heavily to 'R'. The PolarPup+Wine environment was rock-solid, thankyou!

P.S. After I posted about using PolarPup005 on the T60 this morning, I was checking Qupzilla for breaks etc. I noticed that it spontaneously crashed when the user was trying to change preferences. Something to look out for in the recompile, perhaps?

Cheers!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

marco07

#418 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Okay. I believe you have the flashplayer installed and updated to the latest. It just is non functional without my firefox-fix pet.

Install also the firefox-fix pet. Close all firefox sessions and then launch firefox again. It should now work with latest flash.

So...the incompatibility comes from firefox 10 and latest flash. They need some arrangement.
You are right. Flash Player was installed already.
Firefox-fix pet fixed the issues. It all Ok now.
Thanks a lot Pemasu!

pemasu

#419 Post by pemasu »

I have had a long day. I will leave for tomorrow of compiling Qupzilla.

Puppyt

#420 Post by Puppyt »

No problems, pemasu - certainly don't rush on my behalf. Works better than FF8 as it is!
Search engines for Puppy

musher0

#421 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, pemasu. There's magic in this distro :-)
Many thanks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

pemasu

#422 Post by pemasu »

Okay...I have started slowly to update packages for Polarpup-0.0.6. Let`s see if I succeed.
Anyway...problem with.... Qupzilla 1.1.5. There has been problems with compiling it and it seems my Qt-4.8.0 RC something version suffers from it also.
It compiles in final Qt-4.8.0 qt libs...in dpup exprimo....succesfully...but not in Polarpup...

I am afraid that Polarpup is the product of its time and the usefulness has its limits...now I encountered one limit.
Atm I just dont have time enough to rework whole Polarpup concept...I mean compile the Qt-4.8.0 and recompile all the apps again...not even test the previous all Qt apps if they work with that recompiled Qt-4.8.0.

I have to admit that debian squeeze based dpup is so flexible for me and the compiling in it has been non-problematic all the time. I have managed to compile in dpup difficult Qt apps also...like Musescore 1.1.
Well...Musescore 1.0 compiled in Polarpup easily also...so points to Polarpup also.

But here is Qupzilla-1.15 compiled in dpup exprimo. It is compatible because it used the final Qt-4.8.0 compiling environment.

I will continue the update bit by bit for Polarpup-0.0.6 but boy...so...many apps needs to be updated...not speaking the recent woof compatibility. I dont know when the work is done..

musher0

#423 Post by musher0 »

Allo, pemasu.

Thanks for this and your other updates.

Here is a question that may be -- or not -- an answer to the problem you expose in your previous message : "What is the most likely candidate for a LTS puppy among all your recent puppy derivatives?"

Continue the good work!

With very best regards.

Christian
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

hoven

#424 Post by hoven »

Puppyt wrote:I was using your Wine pet earlier today
Hi, can you please tell me where to find that?

jim3630

#425 Post by jim3630 »

hoven wrote:
Puppyt wrote:I was using your Wine pet earlier today
Hi, can you please tell me where to find that?
pemasu doesn't have Wine pet iirc.

green_dome is your man.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 40&t=53675