Polarpup-005 with Qt4-4.8.0 and Gstreamer libs inbuild

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#91 Post by pemasu »

I retuned originally Sheepy`s posted GUI interface for xcompmgr. It creates menu entry to the Desktop section.

Xcompmgr is already installed in Polarpup.
Attachments
gcompmgr-0.21.pet
(55.75 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

jim3630

#92 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. Great news. I suppose you had gtk style selected in qtconfig or you tested the behavior after selecting gtk style.
both, gtk preselected, qtconfig then recognized it, changed gtk style saved to qtconfig and no errors.

pemasu

#93 Post by pemasu »

Since I am not satisfied with QtWebbrowser I compiled freshly Firefox-5.0. It is still Aurora but this is the real one. Well, I am Firefox man, though I just installed Playdayz`s compiled SM2 in Ice Puppy...and almost liked it. It was sure fast enough for me. But Firefox.....
Compiled in Polarpup.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/firefox-5.0.pet

And if you want nice collection of Puppy links, install attached bookmarks file. History > Show all history > Import and backup > restore > choose file your downloaded file.
Remove the phony .gz.
Attachments
bookmarks.json.gz
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

pemasu

#94 Post by pemasu »

If your browser collection is not yet full, here is real perl. Small, but real fast and in quick test looks promising.
And it is little smaller than Firefox.

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Web ... ent=140450

James C

#95 Post by James C »

Firefox..... a much better browser. :)

Grabbed WebRender to play with too...... :lol:

playdayz

#96 Post by playdayz »

It sure is cool in Finland.
Snow puppy, Ice puppy, polar puppy. Wink
Is the winter going on a little too long pemasu? ;-)

gcmartin

#97 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks Playdayz and Pemasu for the SM2.1. Its really fast and still feature complete.

My ICE is thick and solid! Looking forward to the next ICE skating adventure..

THANKS!!!

pemasu

#98 Post by pemasu »

Is the winter going on a little too long pemasu?
I have been thinking of next woof build distro called Ice Age Puppy. That will surely last long :)

playdayz

#99 Post by playdayz »

I just installed Playdayz`s compiled SM2 in Ice Puppy...and almost liked it. It was sure fast enough for me. But Firefox.....
By my tests Firefox 5.0 is even faster than Seamonkey 2.1--it scores about 20% higher on the Peacekeeper benchmark (but Seamonkey 2.1 is just a shade faster than Firefox 4.0.1). It is really good IMHO to see a fast Seamonkey! QtWeb looks good, but it was jumping all over the place on me--I wasn't able to post a message, plus no right-click to copy and paste.

pemasu

#100 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Good to hear your test reports in this thread also. About Qt browsers. I will abandon QtWebbrowser. It is not good enough, stable enough, it uses proprietary license and so you cant compile it yourself. It also drags its own static compiled libs with it. So...I have tested these light browsers actively.

Next step. Probably I have to add gstreamer support. Just compiled Clementine. But my compiling environment with all test compiles is a bit mess. Also testing wireless microcodes and compiling compat-wireless and installing them has not helped.
I maybe have to compile Clementine in fresh environment, which means dowloading tons of libs and dev libs again. Lets see.

marco07

#101 Post by marco07 »

Just finished reading through all 7 pages in the thread. Man, i got exicited to try Polar puppy as well. Will download it later and try it this week end. it sounds like an exciting puppy!

marco07

#102 Post by marco07 »

Hello:
Had a manual frugal install of Polar Puppy 001 on an older desktop, Pentium III, 1 GHz, 1 GB ram with a legacy nvidia graphic card.
Installed Ndiswrapper pet file and set up my wireless connection with it without any problem.
Run qtconfig and selected desired font size.
Installed firefox through quick pet and updated it to FFX 5. Installed Thunderbird Mail client.
All working fine so far.
The only issue so far is that the CUPS Printer Wizard brings up the net set up page however, clicking on any tab generate 500 server error message and I could not set up my printer yet.
aside from this I am happy with this polar puppy 001.

pemasu

#103 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. Thank you of your report. About CUPS. I need to investigate the problem. I dont remember if I have used printer with Polarpup. Do you get the same problem before Firefox installation, if you boot with pfix=ram ?

marco07

#104 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Marco07. Thank you of your report. About CUPS. I need to investigate the problem. I dont remember if I have used printer with Polarpup. Do you get the same problem before Firefox installation, if you boot with pfix=ram ?
Hi pemasu:
I booted up with prefix=ram and after installation of ndiswrapper to be able to connect to my home network printer, it worked well and I could see my printer on QTWeb browser without producing any error. So it works in live boot-up.
I then went back and rebooted into my installation and removed Firefox, thinking that may work. Even lthough I removed all the remnants of Firefox, it did not work and I got the same "500 Internal server error" in QTweb when clicking on any tab. So, I suppose I need to reinstall Polar Puppy and set up my printer before installing any additional packages, in particular Firefox. Or perhaps it was because I installed Firefox from quick pet rather than using your posted .pet which I had noted after install of Firefox. Anyhow, I hope these info are helpfull to you.
Thanks!

pemasu

#105 Post by pemasu »

Marco07. I suspect or it is highly possible that Firefox changes some folder permissions so that even removing Firefox wont help. I am unfortunately now several weeks in our summer cottage and I use my mothers laptop to achieve net. No printer and no net in my working laptop. So I cant troubleshoot the Firefox now. But if it has that kind problem, I need to do something for it in the future. Maybe waiting that someone else compiles it or has Playdayz already done that ?

pemasu

#106 Post by pemasu »

Double post due to XP OS and slow 3g connection. Lol.

Tman

#107 Post by Tman »

pemasu wrote:Marco07. I suspect or it is highly possible that Firefox changes some folder permissions so that even removing Firefox wont help. I am unfortunately now several weeks in our summer cottage and I use my mothers laptop to achieve net. No printer and no net in my working laptop. So I cant troubleshoot the Firefox now. But if it has that kind problem, I need to do something for it in the future. Maybe waiting that someone else compiles it or has Playdayz already done that ?
I have Firefox 5.0b7 as a pet and SFS availiable here: http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/
It is the more stable non-Aurora version. I did not compile it..just extracted the tarball, added some modifications which I found in Barry's firefox-4.0.1-w5.pet and added my own tweaks. So I guess they are what you call static? Sorry, I am naive at this but would someone be able to tell me what major advatantage compiling firefox would have?

pemasu

#108 Post by pemasu »

Tman. Compiling yourself might brake cups and so you save in printing expenses, lol.
Seriously, I wanted to know how hard it was to compile it, but with Playdayz`s nice howto it was smooth and easy. Also I disabled dependencies to hal and dbus. I mtuned it for my intel i5 even though I would need latest gcc to fully get speed advantage. Mostly, compiling in your own environment and using tuning for your hardware should give some performance advantage.
For me, it was experience and testing suite.

Tman. I also downloaded your latest Slickpup. It was nice and really good themes for Icewm. I liked the feeling of Slickpup. Keep up the good work.

rcrsn51

#109 Post by rcrsn51 »

marco07 wrote:Even lthough I removed all the remnants of Firefox, it did not work and I got the same "500 Internal server error"
This problem is caused by packages that alter the Puppy ownership/permission system. Because CUPS runs as an unprivileged user, it will refuse to work if the permissions are wrong.

Tman

#110 Post by Tman »

Thanks Pemasu,

Since you like the look and feel of Slickpup, I will prepare a little surprise for you and Snowpuppy users next week. :wink: