murga-linux.com/puppy/ moderation freedom, and common sense

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bugman

#16 Post by bugman »

Sylvander wrote:3. "Should children and the mentally fragile like myself, be free to listen
to conversations without being assaulted by others 'freedom'...?
"
See 2 above as an example out there in the bid-wide-world.
lol, i have picked up the [unfortunate?] habit of uninvited participation in similar public conversations as well as their cell phone cousins

usually sotto voce but sometimes i forget and go normal . . .

shariebeth

#17 Post by shariebeth »

@cthisbear:
Something must be wrong with your English to Aussie translator. Or are you the one in Sylvander's example that never listens, but just keeps talking?

I am not asking for more rules. I am asking for the ones that are unwritten but acted upon to be identified and clarified.

I am asking for said rules be applied fairly and consistently to all.

I am asking for no hate talk.

I am sorry to disagree with you but "relaxed" does not equate to rude, obscene, abusive, hateful, and namecalling.

And for the record, I could care less about your age or rough edges. We've all got age and we've all got rough edges. It doesn't excuse you a bit.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#18 Post by Lobster »

Hope I may be allowed to deviate a little:
Talking of deviants.
I was amused by Bugmans candle comment. :D

[ahem]

Sometimes we are not all on the same bus.
Some Puppy community members are stoic, posting on topic
in Spartan fashion.

Moderation is a service not a privilege. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

I once witnessed a disgruntled customer venting to a clerk in an ice cream store. I got in line behind him after he'd been going on for a while, so I never heard what made him mad. Finally, he demanded that the girl behind the counter, "call me a taxi." So I said, "Okay....you're a taxi!"

I figured the girl would at least crack a smile, but both of them just stared at me for a moment and then went back to their conversation.

The moral of that story is, you just can't predict how people will react when you butt in. :lol:

shariebeth

#20 Post by shariebeth »

Lobster wrote:
Hope I may be allowed to deviate a little:
Talking of deviants.
I was amused by Bugmans candle comment. :D
Bugman needs to get a new jokebook. His innuendoes are littered all over the forums, some actually rather blatant.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Sometimes we are not all on the same bus.
Some Puppy community members are stoic, posting on topic
in Spartan fashion.
Pretty sure I, at least, have not complained much about off topic other than in a specific instance when attempting a serious conversation in a serious thread and was frustrated when it was locked because of that.
Moderation is a service not a privilege. :)
I've moderated and been an admin. I know how much dirty work is involved. I know it's a thankless job. I know you have to have a thick skin. I also know how easy it is to be transparent and the importance of that to keep the general population happy. People want explanations and they like to know their boundaries. People want to know they aren't being singled out for censure if it happens. People want to know what is going on. Saves everyone's energies for the reasons they are in the forums in the first place.
I stand by my comment. It is a responsibility, even if it is a volunteer "job", and part of that responsibility is accountability to the people you "serve".
I never belittled the job of moderator or administrator. There is a LOT of busywork, chasing around idiots, you name it.

shariebeth

#21 Post by shariebeth »

Flash wrote:I once witnessed a disgruntled customer venting to a clerk in an ice cream store. I got in line behind him after he'd been going on for a while, so I never heard what made him mad. Finally, he demanded that the girl behind the counter, "call me a taxi." So I said, "Okay....you're a taxi!"

I figured the girl would at least crack a smile, but both of them just stared at me for a moment and then went back to their conversation.

The moral of that story is, you just can't predict how people will react when you butt in. :lol:
Okay i just have to say that's funny. :D
Not enough coffee yet? Maybe. But I literally laughed out loud.

Bruce B

#22 Post by Bruce B »

shariebeth wrote:I am asking for said rules be applied fairly and consistently to all.

I am asking for no hate talk.
Shariebeth,

You could wiggle out of the rule above like this.
  • Chris, I love you, but the way I'm feeling right now (then hit him with all you've got)
Bruce

Sylvander

#23 Post by Sylvander »

1. Funny, but...
There are certain people...
When I see they have posted...
I make sure to go read what they've posted...
No matter what the topic.
And usually I'm not disappointed.

2. "Bugman needs to get a new jokebook. His innuendoes are littered all over the forums, some actually rather blatant."
Bugman is one of those mentioned above.
Don't mind his innuendo's one little bit.
I think I understood the concept he was conveying.

artifus

#24 Post by artifus »

beauty is in the eye of the beholder
ohm's where the art is

artifus

#25 Post by artifus »

edited by artifus to keep thread on topic.
Last edited by artifus on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 17:04, edited 2 times in total.
ohm's where the art is

artifus

#26 Post by artifus »

post edited by artifus to remove content as it is no longer relevant to the thread and i apologise to the community for ftt.
Last edited by artifus on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
ohm's where the art is

artifus

#27 Post by artifus »

post edited by artifus to remove content as it is no longer relevant to the thread and i apologise to the community for ftt.

was having a bad day.

have copy and pasted my edited posts to a local text file which i shall hang on to for a day or so before deleting should anyone feel they should be restored. let me know via pm.

*edit* should no such request be forthcoming then i ask that my recently edited posts be deleted.
Last edited by artifus on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 17:26, edited 2 times in total.
ohm's where the art is

ggg

#28 Post by ggg »

If you observe your duties,
when will you need rights?

PS Bruce B - interesting
I clicked on Register.
Last edited by ggg on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#29 Post by nooby »

>> I suspect one or more persons are trying to persuade you to ban me
>> permanently by making bogus posts hoping you'll think it's me.
>>

I hope that is not true.

How does one protect against such?

To something else quoting SharieBeth

I've moderated and been an admin. I know how much dirty work is involved. I know it's a thankless job. I know you have to have a thick skin. I also know how easy it is to be transparent and the importance of that to keep the general population happy. People want explanations and they like to know their boundaries. People want to know they aren't being singled out for censure if it happens. People want to know what is going on. Saves everyone's energies for the reasons they are in the forums in the first place.
I stand by my comment. It is a responsibility, even if it is a volunteer "job", and part of that responsibility is accountability to the people you "serve".

/quote

You having these personal experiences then I get why you are so upset about Puppy forum.

The moderation standard on this forum does not live up to you expectations.

You want it to improve to a standard you can approve of. That is what I read into what you say in this thread and in others on the forum.

As I get it the Admin and Mods on this forum does not want to be on that level of detailed Moderation.

I can sure see merit in what you suggest. But it is the Admins on this forum that set the standard. You can have wishes but them decide.

That is it! That is the way it is here. It only change when the Admin have the motivation for it to change.

I rather prefer their current level than what you write here.

I base that on your saying this: "chasing around idiots"

In your eyes I am most likely one of the idiots that you would chase around.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

shariebeth

#30 Post by shariebeth »

nooby wrote: That is it! That is the way it is here. It only change when the Admin have the motivation for it to change.
Yes, I agree. And I am presenting my case why I feel, in my opinion, they should consider it. You don't have to keep saying it's their decision. We KNOW that. This thread is presenting a case with a proposal and request for discussion, for a bit of a change, namely clarification, consistency with what is already done, and transparency.
I see no request or suggestion for anything more, other than to please eliminate the hate talk (which I can't imagine you would object to).
I base that on your saying this: "chasing around idiots"
In your eyes I am most likely one of the idiots that you would chase around.
Nope, not even close. I can be annoyed with you, or disagree with you, without wanting you gone or considering you an idiot. And really, I'm only annoyed when you harp on the adhd and when you helped derail a topic I considered serious and important, and WhoDo considered serious and important.

You have a lot of good and useful things to say, you are active, you are helpful, and you represent a very real section of users. You don't have to put yourself down all the time or make excuses. Just tone down the sheer volume of times you say that. In my opinion. (thank you artifus)
Last edited by shariebeth on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

artifus

#31 Post by artifus »

you forgot to add 'in my opinion' at the end of your last sentence, if i may be so bold as to say so, shariebeth. the word 'humble' could be thrown in for good measure too. in my humble opinion.
ohm's where the art is

2byte

#32 Post by 2byte »

@shariebeth

Hypothetical situation:

A member is banned for disruptive negative troll-like behavior on the forum. Said member then rejoins as a new member under a different name and immediately resumes acting like a troll by, oh I don't know.. joining a topic and making negative comments, baiting other members and attempting to derail the topic into an insult fest? All of this behavior being a personal opinion of you, the admin.

How would you, as an experienced forum admin / moderator, deal with this imaginary scenario?

Edit: Anyone else with forum admin or moderator experience is encouraged to comment on this too.
Last edited by 2byte on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

artifus

#33 Post by artifus »

Last edited by artifus on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 16:54, edited 3 times in total.
ohm's where the art is

shariebeth

#34 Post by shariebeth »

2byte wrote:@shariebeth

Hypothetical situation:

A member is banned for disruptive negative troll-like behavior on the forum. Said member then rejoins as a new member under a different name and immediately resumes acting like a troll by, oh I don't know.. joining a topic and making negative comments, baiting other members and attempting to derail the topic into an insult fest? All of this behavior being a personal opinion of you, the admin.

How would you, as an experienced forum admin / moderator, deal with this imaginary scenario?
Okay fair enough. Not so hypothetical, not so uncommon either. Given I don't the know the forum software limitations here offhand without researching, I'll go from experience.
1. I would delete any trolling rants. I would post and say I deleted the trolling rants and warn in that post that further continuation of that behavior will result in posting abilities removed. That serves not only as a warning to that member, but any others thinking to carry on with it as well.
2. Behavior continues: posting restriction. Not the same as an IP ban.
3. New accounts made with new name to continue: (My forum is set up as admin approval but that is a pain in the a** but we're currently having spam bot and bad-stuff advertising nightmares there as well.). Anyway, if new accounts are being made on the same IP, you ban the IP.
4. When they use a proxy and still continue: You do the best you can and advise the other admins to watch out for new accounts exhibiting similar behavior. Obviously legitimate new accounts are not going to head straight to the problem thread and continue. Proxies are a pita. No question. You do the best you can to catch them and use your best judgement. Usually speech patterns and promptness of join to post ratio is a good hint.
5. I'd make a post in the thread explaining that the person was banned until he makes a reasonable attempt to apologize and discuss the issue rationally. Also that we are doing our best (administrators and moderators) to control the problem but please bear with us if some get through. I have no problem with explaining myself, and no problem discussing any actions I've taken. But the massive disruption that sort of behavior makes is a different problem than that member's having an issue with my moderation.

I also advise that every situation is different, and every member handles things differently. Not all people carry on like that either. That would not be how I would handle everything, just that one specific type of situation 2byte laid out.

artifus

#35 Post by artifus »

I also advise that every situation is different, and every member handles things differently. Not all people carry on like that either. That would not be how I would handle everything, just that one specific type of situation 2byte laid out.
so no hard and fast definite rules, then, just your discretion?
ohm's where the art is