murga-linux.com/puppy/ moderation freedom, and common sense

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
2byte

#46 Post by 2byte »

The OP stated 'Essentially this discussion is intended to be about suggestions and ideas for better forum behavior, giving rise to non-insulting posts'

Some fair suggestions re offenses, I think.

1) Post a written warning/advisory with invitation for private response to the member and optionally remove the offensive posts.
2) Post a written warning with invitation for private response to the member and disallow further posting and optionally remove the offensive posts.
3) Ban.

Written warnings posted to the thread where the offense took place along with a PM to the offending member.

I assume there is a forum section for admins and mods to discuss forum business and that all disciplinary actions would be discussed and agreed upon there, not publicly. The first and second steps could be taken unilaterally before (not without) private discussion by the moderators. Private discussion could be as simple as a notice of the action taken posted in the forum business section.

What is considered to be unacceptable behavior is at the complete discretion of the admin and moderators as a whole, of course.

2 cents

Aitch

#47 Post by Aitch »

Thanks to all for the suggestions/ideas

I have one to add....could this.....

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34480

.....be moved to the top of the forum - as a new Section, under House Training, perhaps? and made prominent, [Emboldened/coloured?] with any suggestions here incorporated....perhaps, also including John M's words?
John M wrote:The only thing I have ever wanted was common sense, and I hoped for civil discourse.
Common sense being a relative term, which I think has a minimum common denominator.

I know many people that ignore the off topic area, and it is a bit of a pain sometimes, so if you think it shouldn't exist I would recommend you ignore it too.

I appreciate feedback around how I can make this site and it's community work better, as it is important to me and I want it to be a better place.

However, rules around what you can and can't talk about I do object to.

Freedom is another relative term which is important to me.
Unfortunately freedom isn't free it seems :wink:
If anyone still has a problem with forum moderation, at least an attempt has been made to discuss and improve what we have

It has not, IMHO, been a heated topic, so draw your own conclusions....

PS: I would've linked this thread, to the forum code of conduct thread, but it's locked [Probably wisely so - thanks Flash! :D ]

Aitch :)