Qt Interest Group

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#16 Post by pemasu »

Makoto. Those Qt 4.80 packages have basic stuff compiled. They resemble the QT libs Barry Kauler made for Wary. The size is bigger because I cant compete with T2 compiling environment. Barry gets astonishing small packages with it.

Makoto

#17 Post by Makoto »

Are they already possibly stripped, and maybe even further compressed with something like UPX? :) (Not that I know whether or not you could strip the Qt setup...)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

pemasu

#18 Post by pemasu »

They are stripped. UPXed no. And reboot is needed before they are recognized. The pinstall.sh is included in the main pet, at least.

Makoto

#19 Post by Makoto »

Do Qt programs generally need the version of Qt they were compiled against, or higher?

I re-installed Qt 4.5.3, and installed your QComicbook 0.7.2 package... but if I try to run it, it always stops with this error:

Code: Select all

qcomicbook: symbol lookup error: qcomicbook: undefined symbol: _ZN9QMetaType15registerTypedefEPKci
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

pemasu

#20 Post by pemasu »

Backwards compatibility is something I dont have right answer. Hmm...If I dont strip the compiled package, would it help, I dont know yet.

muggins

#21 Post by muggins »

Do Qt programs generally need the version of Qt they were compiled against, or higher?
Higher. Just like gtk2 apps. compiled on say pup4, will generally work fine with lupu, but not the reverse.

Unfortunately often developers will compile their app on the latest whiz bang qt4/gtk2 release, and the resultant binary can then have unrequired dependencies.

pemasu

#22 Post by pemasu »

I am guilty. I confess my sins as using the latest Qt. I hope the penalty is not permaban.

muggins

#23 Post by muggins »

I'm referring to developers of qt4 apps. If you browse qt-apps.org you'll find many apps which will not compile with qt4-4.3.2, but require newer releases of qt4.

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

Ok. Havent tracked much, since my used new Qt libs does not have that problem. But not all older apps do like the new Qt4 also. I get errors which seems to come from incompatibility when compiling.

scsijon

#25 Post by scsijon »

muggins wrote:I'm referring to developers of qt4 apps. If you browse qt-apps.org you'll find many apps which will not compile with qt4-4.3.2, but require newer releases of qt4.
Bare with me, i'll try to answer what I think you are asking.

A QT3 application needs QT3's libs to run.

A QT4 application needs QT4's libs to run.

An individual QT3/4 application may need you to update your QT3/4 libset. That may be because a libfault has been fixed, a function has been enhanced or a new function added. The last two require a "comittee" type signoff and extensive testing.

However, after upgrading your libset, all other QT4 applications you have already installed and did run with an earlier QT4 libset are suppose to still be able to run without problem. And so far I haven't seen this fail, except for one where the programmer was using the "QTlib fault" to perform a function in their program. It was fixed as soon as pointed out to them.

A prime rule in QT is that libs ARE required to be 99.999% backward compatable UNLESS a coding problem is being fixed, and that all certified QT applications are to be tested and give signoff against the upgrade.

Hope that helps.

scsijon

Makoto

#26 Post by Makoto »

As for backward compatibility...

I uninstalled QComicbook 0.7.2, and reinstalled the previous version I had (0.3.4, qcomicbook-v0.3.4-i486.pet), with Qt 4.5.3 still installed. Here's the error the 0.3.4 package throws with Qt 4.5.3 installed (as I mentioned in my first post in this thread):

qcomicbook: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Could that be solved with a symlink? (Just curious.)

I don't suppose there are any Qt 4.5 dev packages around that'll work on Puppy 4.3.1, are there? :P

scsijon

#27 Post by scsijon »

Maybe, ttuuxxxx would know.

I take it you've already checked the storage tree at http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/.

regards
scsijon

Makoto

#28 Post by Makoto »

Yes, and I went ahead and checked it again, just now... not every directory, though, of course. :oops: All I saw in the 4.3.1 directories was the Qt 4.3.2 pet. :)

scsijon

#29 Post by scsijon »

@makoto

:oops: :oops: apologies, I should have checked QT4 against the kernal version before answering.

According to the QT4 list puppy 4.3.1 's kernal should work with QT4.4.6/7, QT4.5 requires a later kernal.

Also:

your "qcomicbook: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3:..."

I haven't got this library on my dev box with QT4 either.

After a little chase,

I found it's a QT3 file, not a QT4 file (according to SLUG) and must be in a specific place. There are 48 listed errors against this one file and most seem to be still open (they go back to 2005). Part of Qt GUI Library (Threaded runtime version), Version 3.

Now I do know QT3 is in the tree and works in 4.3.1, as that's where I first used it (and I think :roll: where ttuuxxxx :wink: first built a QT library for me).

regards
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

Makoto

#30 Post by Makoto »

It's probably worse since I'm using a Retro kernel (2.6.21.7, IIRC). :) (Even though I really shouldn't have been using it, for 4.3.1.)

Guess I should uninstall Qt4.3.5 and reinstall Qt 3.3.8, then. The version of QComicbook I have runs without problem, there. At the moment, it's the only Qt program on my system. :( (...and then I'll find something else I'll want to run that needs Qt4... :D)

scsijon

This is an for information notice only at this stage

#31 Post by scsijon »

I have yet to start a build thread or call for help, that should appear early november when the first alphas get past the initial build problems, this is an for information notice only at this stage.

I shall be using Wary as I want to use T2.

regards to all
scsijon

Entered on BarryK's Wary 5.2 thread.
---------------------------------------------------
I was about to use 5141 to build the first alpha for my qt4 desktop to play with as I have decided that in the end to use the T2 stream rather than one of the other sources. Maybe I need to consider awaiting Wary 52 for the real alpha's

I will await your new W52 pets with baited breath. Will they be available at the usual place or a new diretory and any idea when?

I am also creating in parallel a basic server (no user stuff) so I can also trial frontend / backend applications, of which qt4 has plenty.
--------------------------------------------------

ttuuxxx

#32 Post by ttuuxxx »

Makoto wrote:As for backward compatibility...

I uninstalled QComicbook 0.7.2, and reinstalled the previous version I had (0.3.4, qcomicbook-v0.3.4-i486.pet), with Qt 4.5.3 still installed. Here's the error the 0.3.4 package throws with Qt 4.5.3 installed (as I mentioned in my first post in this thread):

qcomicbook: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Could that be solved with a symlink? (Just curious.)

I don't suppose there are any Qt 4.5 dev packages around that'll work on Puppy 4.3.1, are there? :P
libqt-mt.so.3 was usually found in the smaller 3MB QT3 package, http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -3.3.8.pet also I think it needed a system from /usr/lib/qt-3.3.8/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 to /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

raffy

QTlib-based Puppy

#33 Post by raffy »

I was recently frustrated with video players in my fanless Intel NM10-based netbook, with only VLC being able to play videos full-screen.

Then I remembered that VLC is based on QT (and Opera is, too), and that sometime ago, Barry has toyed with the idea of a QT-based Puppy.

Which brought me here after some search.

I see that our senior devs have been contributing here, and I hope that you still want a QT-centric pup.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].