What is the best way to connect puppy to the internet?

Booting, installing, newbie
kpfuser

What is the best way to connect puppy to the internet?

#1 Post by kpfuser »

Hi!

I am very new to Linux and all of my past efforts with live distributions came up against the insurmountable (so far) obstacle of finding some way to get an internet connection. So far all I read about puppy sounds wonderful but I have failed to uncover clearcut info regarding how to set up an internet connection. Hopefully someone here can help.

What I have available is an ADSL connection and an external USB modem (ProLink 8000). I have recently bought a ProLink 9000 ethernet ADSL modem/router (not wireless) that I have not installed/configured yet. Could any of these modems be used to connect puppy to the internet and, if so, how?

Based on what I have read, I would prefer to run puppy from CD or a USB Flash Memory card, but I would consider running it from the hard disk, if this would help find an easier solution to my connectivity problem.

Any suggestions?

MU

#2 Post by MU »

USB I don't know.
The ethernet-modem should be detected automatically.
If not, run the ethernet-wizard.
Then enter the data from your provider in Roaring Penguin, and it should work.
If not, please report back, there is also a comandlinetool to connect available as Dotpup.

Mark

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: What is the best way to connect puppy to the internet?

#3 Post by Lobster »

kpfuser wrote:Hi!

I have recently bought a ProLink 9000 ethernet ADSL modem/router (not wireless) that I have not installed/configured yet. Could any of these modems be used to connect puppy to the internet and, if so, how?
I would install and set this up (depending on how it is set up) My router is set up from the web making it easy to do from any operating system.

Routers often have DHCP which means you check you have a ethernet connection and then choose auto DHCP. You can try that in Puppy. If not DSL (Damn Small Linux) automates this process and you can try that. You will I hope have better luck with a modem/router ethernet connection than your previous configuration.

Good luck
Let us know how you get on - and have breaks :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

slvrldy17

Connecting to the net...

#4 Post by slvrldy17 »

Having just dealt with this recently my experience was that if your router supports auto DHCP is that this is by far the easiest way to deal with the problem. Do your setup/configuration of the router in your current OS (Windows I'll assume ) and get your connection working there - then when you boot Puppy for the first time go to the Ethernet wizard and click on the "auto DHCP" box. Odds are that you will have a live connection to "eth0" and then can move on to the fun aspects of using/learning about Puppy. This has worked for me with both Puppy and Knoppix. If not then try the other options in that wizard. Nice thing is that when you get the connection configured it will be saved in your pup001 save file and happen automatically on subsequent boots. Good luck,

Alice