Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#1711 Post by Colonel Panic »

Good post nitehawk. I've seen mixed reviews for Emmabuntus online, but here's a favourable one;

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... u-lts.html

BTW, I have the opposite problem from you. I have a fast internet connection now but an ancient computer which doesn't handle DVDs very well (most of the time, in fact, distros on DVD won't load on it at all). It's one of the reasons I mostly stick with Puppy nowadays - just about all Puppies still fit on CD-Rs instead of DVDs as is increasingly the norm with Linux distros.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

James C

#1712 Post by James C »

This Arch install hasn't crashed and burned yet...... still motoring right along..... :lol:

Code: Select all

[james@evo ~]$ uname -a
Linux evo 3.18.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 7 08:44:05 CET 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Attachments
Arch Linux.jpg
(42.76 KiB) Downloaded 883 times

James C

#1713 Post by James C »

The latest Manjaro XFCE 0.8.12 .....

https://manjaro.github.io/

manjaro@manjaro ~]$ uname -a
Linux manjaro 3.16.7.1-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 16 02:45:00 UTC 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Attachments
Screenshot .jpg
(49.14 KiB) Downloaded 844 times

James C

Crunchbang fork

#1714 Post by James C »

Crunchbang fork sighting....

http://crunchbangplusplus.org/
When CrunchBang was started, it filled a gap where efficiency met beauty. Our plan is to keep it exactly there with a tastefully reskinned UI, updated dependencies, and more current packages.

darry1966

#1715 Post by darry1966 »

Ah James you bet me to it. Anyway an article about it.
http://jimlynch.com/linux-articles/crun ... -the-dead/

nitehawk

#1716 Post by nitehawk »

Really great to hear about the CrunchBang fork! As much as I like Antix...it won't accept the actual Debian DVDs into synaptic (and CrunchBang does). However,...I probably should go over on the Antix forum to find out if using Debian DVDs is possible, and I'm just not doing it right. :lol:

Anyhow,..Have been using Emmabuntus on my main computer. Great loads and loads of apps for kids! Unfortunately, the distro is pretty "heavy" and loads really slow (hangs on my computer while trying to boot). I really like it,..but don't think I can use it.

My older Dell Optiplex GX270 couldn't even install it. (P4--2.8Ghz--1G ram--200G hard drive). It's basically Xubuntu,...but is loaded with "tons" of apps.

My HPCompaq (P4--3Ghz--4G ram--500G hard drive) installed Emmabuntus,...but "groans" trying to boot it up. I was pleased, though, to see that I could get my old slow dial-up working in it. Wish I could use it, as I like it for the grand kiddies.

James C

#1717 Post by James C »

Still running a couple of Stella 6 installs...Still Gnome 2 and still based on Centos.

http://li.nux.ro/stella/

[james@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 3.19.0-1.el6.elrepo.i686 #1 SMP Mon Feb 9 09:12:41 EST 2015 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Solid as a rock.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(61.91 KiB) Downloaded 718 times

Colonel Panic

#1718 Post by Colonel Panic »

Good for you James! Stella's one of the most underrated distros out there. I used to run Stella 6.4 on my old Dell computer and it was as solid as a rock.

I think of Centos (and its derivatives) as the Windows NT of Linux; unflashy, a bit retro and perhaps boring but very stable and they get the job done.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

bark_bark_bark

#1719 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Colonel Panic wrote:I think of Centos (and its derivatives) as the Windows NT of Linux; unflashy, a bit retro....
Windows Vista/7 is an exception to Windows NT being unflashy and retro.

BTW, Windows 7 is still my main OS.

RetroTechGuy

#1720 Post by RetroTechGuy »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:I think of Centos (and its derivatives) as the Windows NT of Linux; unflashy, a bit retro....

I bought a Win7 laptop (just to have something "newer"), but run Puppy 5.28 on it almost exclusively (there are a few programs that I don't have Linux equivalents, so I keep it around).

Most of my other machines have XP and dual Puppy... I've been migrating (most) all of my machines to LupuSuper1, but not done yet...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Colonel Panic

#1721 Post by Colonel Panic »

bark_bark_bark wrote:

Sure, maybe I should have been more specific. When I said "NT" I meant Windows NT 4.0, i.e. the one from the mid-90s which preceded Windows 2000 and had no other name in common use other than "NT" (in the way that, for example, Windows XP is also Windows NT 5.1).

There was also an earlier NT, 3.51, but it was pretty rare AFAIK and I've never seen it installed anywhere.

bark_bark_bark

#1722 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Colonel Panic wrote:Sure, maybe I should have been more specific. When I said "NT" I meant Windows NT 4.0, i.e. the one from the mid-90s which preceded Windows 2000 and had no other name in common use other than "NT" (in the way that, for example, Windows XP is also Windows NT 5.1).

There was also an earlier NT, 3.51, but it was pretty rare AFAIK and I've never seen it installed anywhere.
Yeah, I figured you were talking about NT 4.0.

James C

#1723 Post by James C »

Fedora 21 Workstation.
https://getfedora.org/

I don't like Gnome 3 or systemd but I was pretty bored....

bash-4.3$ uname -a
Linux localhost 3.17.4-301.fc21.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 27 19:09:10 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
bash-4.3$ 
Attachments
snapshot4.jpeg
(42.38 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
snapshot3.jpeg
(56.2 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

nitehawk

#1724 Post by nitehawk »

James C wrote: I don't like Gnome 3 or systemd but I was pretty bored....
HA!!! What better way to fight boredom, than fooling around with a linux distro, eh?

I'm fiddling with Knoppix 7.4 right now. Rebooted it, only to have it revert to German. And it looks like there is no window borders to be able to move or close windows. Looking for work-arounds for those two things. I see there may be a way to make it consistantly boot to English,...and maybe adding Openbox config may add the windows borders. We'll see.

One thing is certain,...it sure is crammed full of programs and apps!! Has even more stuff (and stuff for kids as well) than even Emmabuntus does. I like it. Even if the boot-up voice "Initiating startup sequence" makes you jump off your chair at first ('till you get used to it). :D

darry1966

Semplice

#1725 Post by darry1966 »

Been trying out Semplice on an old Dell D620 on USB drive Version 5 very nice.[/img]

Mike Walsh

#1726 Post by Mike Walsh »

Colonel Panic wrote:BTW, I have the opposite problem from you. I have a fast internet connection now but an ancient computer which doesn't handle DVDs very well (most of the time, in fact, distros on DVD won't load on it at all). It's one of the reasons I mostly stick with Puppy nowadays - just about all Puppies still fit on CD-Rs instead of DVDs as is increasingly the norm with Linux distros.
I've got the same issue here.Well, partially. My 'newest' machine is a 10-yr old Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon 64, 3 GB RAM, and a dual DVD rewriter setup. This one runs Ubuntu 14.04 LTS/Tahrpup 6.02 as a 'frugal' in its own partition. Also various 'flash' Puppies from the 7-port USB hub I've got. They FLY on this thing.....

However, my OTHER machine is a very elderly Dell Inspiron laptop.....an original 1100, from 2002. Like you, we have a fast broadband connection, but this thing's only got a CD rewriter. I run 'Tahrpup' exclusively on this one, 'cos none of the 'buntus, nor any of the other lightweight distros, will work successfully with the dozy Intel graphics chip in the old girl. So, rather than mess around with the BIOS (like many people have suggested), I just let Tahrpup do its thing.....'cos it just plain WORKS.

Regards,

Mike. :)

James C

#1727 Post by James C »

Installed another new distro.

From Todd Robinson of On-Disk.com (remember 31 Flavors of Fun) is SiNG one.zero.

I'm sure they would rather sell you a dvd but Sing is available as a free download.
https://singisnotgnome.wordpress.com/downloads/

http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/1626
SiNG one.zero is the first 64 bit desktop operating system release I'm aware of designed to maximize speed, and efficiency, while minimizing power consumption to extend battery life. Even more impressively, it's not a minimalist release, but built specifically for modern 64 bit PCs, Laptops, and Netbooks with widescreen displays.
The SiNG desktop is derived from JWM (Joe's Window Manager). It's impressively lean, yet beautiful. Something anyone who ever used JWM wouldn't expect to find.

The desktop is characterized by the huge application launcher (start button) in the upper right corner. At first this seemed to be overkill, but then I discovered the genius behind it. You can quickly launch the application finder without precision pointer control...great when using a touchpad.
All of the desktop controls are contained in the control bar on the right. This not only maximizes vertical screen space, but makes switching between virtual desktops, selecting minimized applications, and moving applications quicker and easier than I've ever experienced before. I even noticed that you can right click on a window in the virtual screen selector (sometimes called a pager) and drag windows from one virtual screen (virtual desktop) to another. I found this to be faster than using the menu option under the window icon decoration menu.
SiNG is built from a combination of Debian and L/X/K/Ubuntu, and is 100% compatible with the current Long Term Support Version, which provides system and application updates until 2020.
Attachments
App launcher.jpg
(40.27 KiB) Downloaded 892 times
Sing.jpg
(26.8 KiB) Downloaded 882 times

Colonel Panic

#1728 Post by Colonel Panic »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:BTW, I have the opposite problem from you. I have a fast internet connection now but an ancient computer which doesn't handle DVDs very well (most of the time, in fact, distros on DVD won't load on it at all). It's one of the reasons I mostly stick with Puppy nowadays - just about all Puppies still fit on CD-Rs instead of DVDs as is increasingly the norm with Linux distros.
I've got the same issue here.Well, partially. My 'newest' machine is a 10-yr old Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon 64, 3 GB RAM, and a dual DVD rewriter setup. This one runs Ubuntu 14.04 LTS/Tahrpup 6.02 as a 'frugal' in its own partition. Also various 'flash' Puppies from the 7-port USB hub I've got. They FLY on this thing.....

However, my OTHER machine is a very elderly Dell Inspiron laptop.....an original 1100, from 2002. Like you, we have a fast broadband connection, but this thing's only got a CD rewriter. I run 'Tahrpup' exclusively on this one, 'cos none of the 'buntus, nor any of the other lightweight distros, will work successfully with the dozy Intel graphics chip in the old girl. So, rather than mess around with the BIOS (like many people have suggested), I just let Tahrpup do its thing.....'cos it just plain WORKS.

Regards,

Mike. :)
Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying, and it's good to know that Tahrpup works on even a thirteen year old machine. I'll bear that in mind when I next want to install something on mine.

The only problem I've had in the past with Tahrpup was getting sound working with videos in Palemoon - but sound configuration is a problem I've had with a lot of newer Puppies, not just Tahrpup. For some reason it seems to be a weak point with my machine (or with newer Puppies, I'm not sure which).

rokytnji

#1729 Post by rokytnji »

harry@scuzbucket:~
$ cd Downloads
harry@scuzbucket:~/Downloads
$ ls
android-x86-5.0.2-lollipop-exton-kernel-332mb-150306.iso  md5
The plan is to put it on one of my netbooks and sell it.

Colonel Panic

#1730 Post by Colonel Panic »

I stand corrected. I'm using Tahrpup now and it won't install to a single partition; it's the whole hard drive or nothing. Oh well.