Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bark_bark_bark

#2206 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I've been using Korora for less than a week and I keep on having constant issues I've never had with Windows or other linux distros I've used. Hopefully this install won't completely kill itself before Slackware 14.2 gets released.

All the people that said Korora was stable apparently lied, unless constant app crashes and hanging are now what define stability.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2207 Post by Billtoo »

Installed Slackware 14.2 rc1 64 bit to an Acer desktop pc.
Added all the updates with slackpkg.
Added some applications and configured the panels.

It's working well so far.

Edit: I did another install of 14.2 rc1 to my Acer laptop.
I did SlackBuilds of icewm,grun,hardinfo,rox-filer, and added some
other applications.
I found extra icewm themes on the web.

It's working well so far.
Attachments
acerlaptop.jpg
(63.21 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Screenshot.jpg
(59.35 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 02 Apr 2016, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Keisha

in defense of Korora

#2208 Post by Keisha »

bark_bark_bark wrote:All the people that said Korora was stable apparently lied, unless constant app crashes and hanging are now what define stability.
That would be moi.

I've been using Korora-22/23 for more than a year now. Only two apps have ever crashed in all that time.

The version of MousePad supplied in Korora 23 has a memory leak. But that's easily remedied by downgrading mousepad or, even better, making mousepad be a symlink to geany, which is a better editor anyway. It's really an xfce4 problem, not a Korora/Fedora problem.

And I tried transplanting-in the 2014 version of rox-filer, the one which actually obeys its own Quiet switch. That rox works great when started as a normal user but crashes every time when started as root after I open 3-4 windows of it. Reverting to version 2.11, compiled from source via AppRun --compile, fixed that problem. If I need to copy using a Quiet mode I switch to Thunar. I have "Open here as root" and "Open here as <user>" entries for both Rox-Filer and Thunar, in the right-click options of both Rox and Thunar as well as on xfce4-panel's Panel 2. This makes life very much easier when using a true multi-user OS.

Unlike Debian Jessie, there is a version of infinality fonting available for Fedora/Korora 23. It looks splendid. Debian Jessie has dependency-version mismatches which make compiling infinality versions of freetype, fontconfig, and cairo impossible unless you violate the Debian dependency version demands.

The fglrx amd vidcard driver (catalyst, which they are now calling Crimson) also installs and works flawlessly after one patch is applied.

Kernel upgrading is easy. I'm on 4.4.6 at the moment. The recent security update to glibc went off without a hitch. The associated updates to all programs which have dependency on glibc, happened in a very timely manner.

The dnf/yum/rpm package management system works better than synaptic/apt/aptitude. And making a package with rpmbuild is easier than the arcane Debian system.

Virtually none of the myriad problems afflicting DebianDog and or recent Puppy/Quirkies afflict Korora. Including DebianDog's nasty habit of rendering the host drive to need e2fsck'ing after every session from openbox's wnck and obrender error mis-writes. Unlike in Debian, Openbox in Fedora/Korora is compiled correctly. Now if only it had the pre-version-3.5.0.9 smart window placement.

All in all, the use of Korora has freed me from the extremely time-consuming need to be an unpaid volunteer OS developer just to use an elegant high-end 64-bit OS. Even such messy apps as simplescreenrecorder, and kde apps like digikam, okular, and krusader, work flawlessly in Korora 23.

I will say, though, that moving to a true multi-user OS has been a steep learning curve. But my experience with Puppy/Quirky/DebianDog was a good preparatory course.

And an always-runs-as-root OS such as P/Q/DD is still a useful tool for doing system maintenance chores, e.g. for preparing a kickstarter install so as to clone my Korora installation.

On the downside...my present Korora install occupies 18 GB.

But...if it could be slimmed down to the same level of svelteness as DebianDog, provided the main filesystem were squashed-up into a Pup or Dog form...a KororaDog would be the best thing since sliced silicon, IMHO.

It might not be the adorable Samantha OS from the 2013 movie Her, but for a standard windows-icons-mouse-pointer OS it's plenty good enough!
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

nitehawk

#2209 Post by nitehawk »

Hmmm,..
Korora actually sounds interesting. I installed Stella recently (using it right now),...and pretty well like it. I have Debian on this hard drive as well,...and wanted to try one of the Red Hat family distros with it.

I usually use Slackware,...but wanted to change to a couple of the "biggies" like pure Debian and Red Hat. That takes too much fooling around for me right now, to set up a desktop just like I like it,...

So I just went with MX-15,...and Stella (then "fleshed it out" with apps I like). Might just have a look at Korora as well.

Keisha

how to duplicate my Korora-23 install, in general terms

#2210 Post by Keisha »

nitehawk wrote:Hmmm,..Korora actually sounds interesting...
I installed one user with Administrator privileges as a member of the wheel group. That way I can use Thunar or ROX-Filer to open and look at any hard drive partition. Then if I want to write to them I can switch to Thunar or ROX as root and diddle away. Since this computer is a desktop in a reasonably secure location I didn't bother to install any less privileged user but of course you could.

If you learn how to use the kickstart cloning facility, it would be easy to duplicate my installation. It would require you to use kickstart (see
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fe ... boot-media
and
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fe ... stall.html
to install Korora-23 using my anaconda-ks.cfg configuration file, and then add the same packages as I have using my packages and yum.repos.d.tgz files. Then install ROX-Filer 2.11. Then install infinality and, optionally, fglrx. Then all it would need is to add-in the Open-With-as-<user>-<root>-Here right-click and panel menu items, and then the conky, compton, cairo-clock, and gkrellm start and config files, plus my customized Openbox theme. Finally, you have to tweak Thunar so you have an actual working Trash facility and folder as root. And then you would have this extremely sweet installation I've enjoyed for this past year.

Then if someone can Puppify or Dogify it we'll have a world-beater.

If you already know Fedora or Korora and kickstart, and you know how to do a live conversion for Fedora a la DebianDog, and you want to collaborate with me on this goal,...I don't have a lot of free time to spend on bringing a novice up to speed. But if you already have these prerequisites, then feel free to pm me. I really do believe that this would be the best possible FedoraDog for the Puppy community (unless someone can persuade Openbox to do smart window opening placement the way it did before the development gods loused it up in version 3.5.0.9... :shock: :x --even the way that jwm in TahrPup64-605CE does window opening placement would be an improvement) :lol: 8)
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

Colonel Panic

#2211 Post by Colonel Panic »

I was intrigued by the above and used to like Korora 19, so I thought I'd try Korora again.

I'm posting from Korora (for Mate) 23 now and so far so good, no crashes as yet. I can't use Flash with Firefox in Korora though, so have to watch videos in Chromium (which I had to install using dnf), so it's a bit more limited than what I'm used to.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 02 Apr 2016, 10:15, edited 2 times in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Keisha

pepperflash in korora-23

#2212 Post by Keisha »

Colonel Panic wrote:...I can't use Flash with Firefox in Korora...
The pepperflash rpm for Fedora 22 works. In Firefox go to

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3& ... pper-flash

and pick one suitable to your computer's architecture (e.g., either x86_64 or i686). Download it to ~/Downloads, click the download arrow to the right of the url bar, left-click the rpm to highlight, right-click and slide down to Open Containing Folder to open the download folder in Thunar, right-click the rpm, Open With Yumex Package Installer, follow the prompts.

Or, more directly, in a terminal, for example,

Code: Select all

yumex-dnf install --allowerasing ~/Downloads/chromium-pepper-flash-17.0.0.134-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm

Colonel Panic

Re: pepperflash in korora-23

#2213 Post by Colonel Panic »

Keisha wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:...I can't use Flash with Firefox in Korora...
The pepperflash rpm for Fedora 22 works. In Firefox go to

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3& ... pper-flash

and pick one suitable to your computer's architecture (e.g., either x86_64 or i686). Download it to ~/Downloads, click the download arrow to the right of the url bar, left-click the rpm to highlight, right-click and slide down to Open Containing Folder to open the download folder in Thunar, right-click the rpm, Open With Yumex Package Installer, follow the prompts.

Or, more directly, in a terminal, for example,

yumex-dnf install --allowerasing ~/Downloads/chromium-pepper-flash-17.0.0.134-1.fc22.x86_64.rpm
Thanks, I'll try that.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#2214 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Hmmm,..
Korora actually sounds interesting. I installed Stella recently (using it right now),...and pretty well like it. I have Debian on this hard drive as well,...and wanted to try one of the Red Hat family distros with it.

I usually use Slackware,...but wanted to change to a couple of the "biggies" like pure Debian and Red Hat. That takes too much fooling around for me right now, to set up a desktop just like I like it,...

So I just went with MX-15,...and Stella (then "fleshed it out" with apps I like). Might just have a look at Korora as well.
Good to see you posting here again Nitie. Stella's great, one of my favourite distros.

Moat

#2215 Post by Moat »

Porteus-v3.1 Mate - Blistering fast and CPU efficient running from RAM, very nicely fleshed-out and complete Mate desktop, Firefox ESR is a little old OOTB (31.3.0) but it's updater appears to work, Abiword is (the apparently buggy) v3.0.0.

Hmm... I might install this to a flash drive and run with it for a while. With a little bit of polish, could be greatness. Will have to mess around with installing packages, though - from what I've read, if it may be somewhat "hit-or-miss" in that regard.

Really, really nice.

(edit to add - FF's updater ended up failing, after all - possibly because I'm running in RAM without savefile...)

Bob
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Porteus 3.1
(82.96 KiB) Downloaded 583 times

Daleb

#2216 Post by Daleb »

Can Porteus RAM be re-mastered?

mcewanw

Re: in defense of Korora

#2217 Post by mcewanw »

Keisha wrote: But...if it could be slimmed down to the same level of svelteness as DebianDog, provided the main filesystem were squashed-up into a Pup or Dog form...a KororaDog would be the best thing since sliced silicon, IMHO.
That would be a nice addition to the Dog family, for sure. In the polytech community, in my part of the world at least, Linux is taught from the perspective of Red Hat Certification qualifications. Having been used to teaching in that area, I understand the importance of being able to provide students with a nice Fedora-based puppy-like but multi-user capable dog, since easy to take home on a usb stick and expand with full Fedora like package management/admin utilities and so on. Wonderful indeed, and a missing part of the jigsaw in terms of Linux education. Of course, some may scorn Red Hat as an almost 'commercial' Linux, but reality is that, in terms of finding employment in Linux development work, RedHat is a distribution of choice.

Now if only we could get Toni (saintless) and Fred to become curious enough about Fedora to get to grips with making a dog out of a good, preferably official, version of it... of course, it is not Debian, so would need a lot of Fedora expertise, but I expect many of the Debian/Puppy/Porteus-related 'live system' creation knowledge would be very relevant to the creation of such a FedoraDog.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD

William
github mcewanw

Keisha

wish to a Fedora Santa for a Puppified Fedora Live

#2218 Post by Keisha »

mcewanw wrote:...Wonderful indeed,...
Yeah...quite a giant missing puzzle piece isn't it :lol: .

A Puppified Fedora Live, bootable from a usb stick, would provide long-lived (practically eternal) persistence, and the ability to transfer an already set up system to a fresh machine regardless of whether the package manager knows about every executeable file and library on it or not. Neither installation CD nor anaconda nor kickstart would be needed. Just copy-in, fiddle a grub stanza, and go.

I wonder what kind of cookies Fedora guru's like?

I know just enough about Fedora to be dangerous. I do see that the kickstart creation gui does provide for the building of a minimal install using xfce. A minimal spin of xfce (or lxqt), and a kernel patched to support aufs, would be the starting point. The guru's next challenge then would be to adapt Puppy's or DebianDog's init scripts, bus conventions, and shutdown scripts to the Fedora architecture.

If the real Linus Torvalds is reading this: I live near Seattle, only two hours north of you, and would be delighted to drive down and spend an hour or two showing you both Puppy (and BarryK's newer masterpiece, Quirky) and DebianDog as well as my nifty installation of Korora-xfce.

If you can assign one of your bright lieutenants to this, many Puppy enthusiasts and Red Hat Linux educators would be grateful.

James C

#2219 Post by James C »

Just installed the latest Knoppix to a 32 gb usb stick. No problems with UEFI/secure boot, just have secure boot toggled off and everything boots.

4 gb download but it has everything.

http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ inxi -Fxx
System:    Host: Microknoppix Kernel: 4.2.6-64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.2.1)
           Desktop: Gnome 3.18.3 (Gtk 3.18.6) dm: kdm
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux stretch/sid
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 2202 date: 12/12/2013
CPU:       Octa core AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 56206
           clock speeds: min/max: 1400/3500 MHz 1: 3500 MHz 2: 1400 MHz
           3: 1400 MHz 4: 1400 MHz 5: 1400 MHz 6: 1700 MHz 7: 1400 MHz
           8: 1700 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1381
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV117
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA Device 0fbc
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0fbc
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.2.6-64
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000
           bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: 40:16:7e:b2:b8:be
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1151.6GB (0.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB serial: 50026B77470C2711 temp: 23C
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB serial: WD-WCC3F3102052 temp: 24C
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Cruzer size: 31.4GB serial: 20052845211B0DE0D9BE-0:0 temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 7.7G used: 48K (1%) fs: rootfs dev: N/A
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/zram0
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 13.1C mobo: N/A gpu: 25.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 188 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 329.2/15958.8MB
           Init: SysVinit v: 2.88 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Gcc sys: 5.3.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421 running in urxvt) inxi: 2.2.28 

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:       16341848      224800    15269536       20980      847512    15991892
Swap:       4194300           0     4194300
Attachments
snapshot1.jpg
(73.39 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

James C

#2220 Post by James C »

Just got Manjaro-Open RC installed,working good but have done zero tweaking so far.

https://manjaro.github.io/

[james@manjaro ~]$ inxi -Fxx
System:    Host: manjaro Kernel: 4.1.15-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) dm: lightdm
           Distro: ManjaroLinux 15.12 Capella
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 42157
           clock speeds: min/max: 1400/3500 MHz 1: 2000 MHz 2: 2000 MHz
           3: 1400 MHz 4: 2000 MHz 5: 1400 MHz 6: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0a65
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 driver: nouveau
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0be3
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 chip-ID: 1002:4383
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.15-1-MANJARO
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8168 v: 8.040.00-NAPI port: d000
           bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: 1c:87:2c:5a:bb:e2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (1.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB serial: 50026B7256076A16
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB serial: WD-WCC3F6XAKRLY
Partition: ID-1: / size: 34G used: 2.5G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb11
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.60GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb5
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 178 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 524.6/15955.1MB
           Init: SysVinit v: 2.88 rc: OpenRC v: 0.19.1 runlevel: default default: 3
           Gcc sys: 5.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421 running in xfce4-terminal) inxi: 2.2.31 

[james@manjaro ~]$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          15955         489       15146          13         319       15382
Swap:          8199           0        8199

James C

#2221 Post by James C »

Quickly installed mtPaint.......
Attachments
Manjaro Open RC.jpg
(62.69 KiB) Downloaded 816 times

musher0

#2222 Post by musher0 »

Bah, just another pretty girl!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Colonel Panic

#2223 Post by Colonel Panic »

Downloaded and not long ago installed Mageia 6 dev 1; a more than 4GB download to find I couldn't get networking to work in it.

Yes. I could spend what past experience has shown me could be an hour or more trying to get it to work, but at the moment I just don't feel like it; life's too short and there are plenty of other distros to use (including Puppy of course).

[EDIT: I did finally manage to configure networking in Mageia through the Mageia Control Centre. I'm posting from Mageia now :) ].
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 05 Apr 2016, 18:45, edited 3 times in total.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2224 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 beta2 to a 128gb usb-3.0 SSD, it's
running on my HP mini Stream:

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Memory 1896MB (382MB used)
Operating System Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (development branch)
User Name bill (Bill)
Date/Time Sun 03 Apr 2016 02:09:15 PM EDT
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
SCSI Disks
Verbatim USB External SSD
ATA SanDisk SDSA6MM-
Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-16-generic (x86_64)
Compiled #32-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 24 22:38:01 UTC 2016
C Library Unknown
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 5.3.1 20160330 (Ubuntu 5.3.1-13ubuntu3)
Distribution Ubuntu Xenial Xerus (development branch)
Current Session
User Name bill (Bill)
Home Directory /home/bill
Desktop Environment MATE (mate)

The Broadcom STA wireless driver in the Additional Drivers section of
the control center is working well with the built-in wireless adapter.

I did all the software updates and added a few applications, it's
working well so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(48.15 KiB) Downloaded 715 times

saintless

#2225 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:Now if only we could get Toni (saintless) and Fred to become curious enough about Fedora to get to grips with making a dog out of a good, preferably official, version of it...
I can't promise anything but maybe this will help as starting point for someone:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 229#897229

Toni