Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nitehawk

#2251 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote: IMO the devs really need to change the name for the English-speaking market (say it out loud and you'll see what I mean).
LOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (I needed a good laugh today).

Maybe that's the distro I need to put on this touchy and cantankerous old laptop I'm trying to revive ( it's just a little on the "pisi' side, itself).

I have Win7 on it,...which makes the graphic card revolt and shut off. (It's one of those old HP Pavilion 2500 laptops, that has a graphic chip problem).
Seems to be doing all right so far with MX-15 dual-booted (with LXDE added on).

Got to find a Puppy to do a frugal install, as well. What's a good, 64 bit Puppy that is fairly lightweight? SlackO seems to be a tad more than what I want on here,..(but may give it a try).

EDIT: Think I'm going to try Barry's new "XERUS 8.0" on here,....
.....OK,..did that. But Xerus won't do frugal installs,..and it didn't detect my network. Hmmmm,..back to the drawing board.

Colonel Panic

#2252 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote: IMO the devs really need to change the name for the English-speaking market (say it out loud and you'll see what I mean).

Maybe that's the distro I need to put on this touchy and cantankerous old laptop I'm trying to revive ( it's just a little on the "pisi' side, itself).

I have Win7 on it,...which makes the graphic card revolt and shut off. (It's one of those old HP Pavilion 2500 laptops, that has a graphic chip problem).

Got to find a Puppy to do a frugal install, as well. What's a good, 64 bit Puppy that is fairly lightweight? SlackO seems to be a tad more than what I want on here,..(but may give it a try).

.....OK,..did that. But Xerus won't do frugal installs,..and it didn't detect my network. Hmmmm,..back to the drawing board.
Hi Nitie, sorry to hear you've clearly had a bad day :(. A good laugh always makes things better though, I agree, and am glad I was able to help in that regard.

Of the distros I've tried recently, I think the latest testing version of Vector (A1.2) would probably go well on an old laptop, as would AntiX 16.1 Beta, but I see you've already got a version of AntiX (MX-15) on your machine already (or is that a different machine?).

As for Puppies that do frugal installs, Puppy Carolina is the main one I remember though I haven't used it for a while; on my machine its default resolution is too high for my video card and it doesn't easily reset to a lower one (you may be luckier). It's not current either as its last release was in 2014.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

James C

#2253 Post by James C »

nitehawk wrote:

Don't know about the network issue but frugal installs are just like Puppy with quirky Xreus. Either use the installer of manually copy the files to a folder.

By the way, the s.sfs in the screenie is tha save sfs.

Code: Select all

title Quirky Xerus64 8.0 frugal in sdb1 dir xerus64-8.0
  rootnoverify (hd1,0)
  kernel /xerus64-8.0/vmlinuz rootwait rw
  initrd /xerus64-8.0/initrd.q
Attachments
Quirky frugal.jpg
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times

linuxcbon

#2254 Post by linuxcbon »

nitehawk wrote:EDIT: Think I'm going to try Barry's new "XERUS 8.0" on here,....
to have network in xerus, you need to run the network wizzard...it doesn't connect automatically, it's a choice by Barry, I don't know why.
To do a frugal install, it is posible in xerus, for example manually as shown by James C. I think running "installquirky" can do it too.

nitehawk

#2255 Post by nitehawk »

Wow....
thanks for all the good input and info on Xerus,...
I'm going to give it another shot. Only I think I'll try it on my main computer,...it's really nice-looking,...and I always like anything that Barry does personally.
Last edited by nitehawk on Fri 06 May 2016, 12:55, edited 2 times in total.

nitehawk

#2256 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote: Of the distros I've tried recently, I think the latest testing version of Vector (A1.2) would probably go well on an old laptop
Vector has always been my very favorite lightweight distro (as is Puppy),..how well is the A1.2???? Is it fairly functional at this point? I know all the devs really spend a LOT of time making sure everything is nearly perfect before a version is offically released (that's one of the main reasons I like Vector,..it has high standards). But at the same time,...that makes waiting between releases a really looooooong time.

(....I'm going to go burn a copy right now,...and have a look).
Drats!!! Can't find where to download an iso. This will take awhile,....

OK,...found it. Downloaded and burned. Got to the part about adding user names, passwords, and time zones,...then just stopped and wouldn't continue. Back to the drawing board. :lol:

Moat

#2257 Post by Moat »

FWIW - A few days ago I did a quick (live USB) comparison/test between the latest Xubuntu 16.04 LTS and Mint 17.3 Xfce. Xubuntu was indeed very nice, but for some reason Mint Xfce was just better, all around. Stellar, actually. Don't know what it is, but the Mint devs have their act together. Just so polished, complete, correct, efficient, consistent - seemingly all of the little details taken care of, OOTB. If I wasn't so enamored with my current old testing lappies' Mint 17.1 Mate install, Mint 17.3 Xfce it would be... a really fine gem of a distro!

Mint's upcoming 18 release just might tip me over the edge...

Bob

nitehawk

#2258 Post by nitehawk »

Mint Xfce sounds tempting. But I just discovered that Absolute Linux runs really well on this old laptop I'm trying to revive. Absolute is really just pure, plain Slackware (only tweaked with multimedia apps and lightweight desktop). Very nice.

This old laptop is an HP Pavillion 2500 (or 2000)...1.6Ghz--1G ram--500G hard drive.
It has Win7 on it,..but like I said in previous posts, it crashes the video on windows. It's working just fine with Absolute.

I had MX-15 on it,.but changed to Antix. Antix couldn't find the network (which Absolute Linux found right away).

I really wish old CrunchBang was still around. I'd love to dual-boot Absolute with it. CrunchBang just worked beautifully on old laptops I have.

BTW...I got Barry's Xerus working fine on my main computer. Doesn't seem to like this old laptop, though. And I am discovering that there are about 3 communities that are continuing the CrunchBang style. I am investigating the possibilities.

https://www.ubuntu-user.com/Magazine/Ar ... -successor[/url]
Last edited by nitehawk on Fri 06 May 2016, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

rokytnji

#2259 Post by rokytnji »

I really wish old CrunchBang was still around.
A Jessie version
https://crunchbangplusplus.org/about/

http://www.linuxscreenshots.org/?releas ... Plus%201.0

nitehawk

#2260 Post by nitehawk »

rokytnji wrote:
A Jessie version

Yeah,...I just posted a link on my previous post about one of the successors. I will look at CrunchBang ++ in just a bit, also. So many distros,..so little time....so many distros, so little time,... :lol:

CrunchBang ++ looks really nice. (downloading it right now,....)

Colonel Panic

#2261 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
rokytnji wrote:
A Jessie version

Yeah,...I just posted a link on my previous post about one of the successors. I will look at CrunchBang ++ in just a bit, also. So many distros,..so little time....so many distros, so little time,... :lol:

CrunchBang ++ looks really nice. (downloading it right now,....)
Great minds think alike! I've also just downloaded Crunchbang++ and am posting from it now. It works well and is clearly very light on resources though I'm planning to modify it a bit, for starters by making the background a bit lighter and adding DMenu which is my favourite desktop menu program.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#2262 Post by nitehawk »

I got CrunchBang ++ but discovered (to my dismay) that I had run out of empty DVDs,..and my laptop won't boot from a USB. I will get said DVDs soon,...but meanwhile, I was able to download and install the ISO of Bodhi on an empty CD I had (CrunchBang ++ appears too big to fit on a CD). Using Bodhi right now (from the said cantankerous laptop). it's working well,...but I intend on getting CrunchBang going in very near future.

EDIT: ah,..success! I now have #!++ dual-booted with Absolute Linux. That's a small pure Debian with a small pure Slackware type distro. Very nice. I like.

nancy reagan

do you know isobooter + usb booting without bios support

#2263 Post by nancy reagan »

nitehawk wrote:I got CrunchBang ++ but discovered (to my dismay) that I had run out of empty DVDs,..and my laptop won't boot from a USB. I will get said DVDs soon,...but meanwhile, I was able to download and install the ISO of Bodhi on an empty CD I had (CrunchBang ++ appears too big to fit on a CD). Using Bodhi right now (from the said cantankerous laptop). it's working well,...but I intend on getting CrunchBang going in very near future.

EDIT: ah,..success! I now have #!++ dual-booted with Absolute Linux. That's a small pure Debian with a small pure Slackware type distro. Very nice. I like.
With isobooter you -sometimes- need no dvd.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-from- ... a-plop-cd/

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67235
Last edited by nancy reagan on Sun 08 May 2016, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#2264 Post by cthisbear »

nitehawk

#2265 Post by nitehawk »

Hey,...thanks guys, for that info! That'll come in handy.....

nitehawk

#2266 Post by nitehawk »

I was tinkering around on my old laptop computer very early this morning (very dangerous situation with first cup of coffee). Stumbled back on the website of LinuxBBQ. Wow. That's dangerous. Couldn't fight temptation. After my tedious days requirements of "must-dos",....have settled down with old laptop to explore LinuxBBQ further.

Already took this old laptop (I'm trying to revive with great success),..with MX-15,..and stuck fluxbox on it,.......with also major success BTW. But am totally compelled by forces unknown to try LinuxBBQ. Will report. Should have been wearing my tinfoil hat,..I know (too late).

Galbi

#2267 Post by Galbi »

nitehawk wrote: But am totally compelled by forces unknown to try LinuxBBQ.
So go ahead, you won´t get disappointed.

I'm making room in a partition to try the Proof flavor.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Colonel Panic

#2268 Post by Colonel Panic »

BTW, if anyone does install CrunchBang++, I'd install alsa-utils as well because it's much easier to adjust the sound levels with alsamixer than it is with whatever built-in program CB++ uses. (I've already mentioned DMenu, but I think it comes already installed in CB++).

(This might also hold for other debian derivatives, as I believe Linux BBQ is one; I haven't tried it so don't know).

nitehawk

#2269 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel P,...
So far I haven't had a whole lot of luck with CrunchBang ++. Could be my CD burn,....but it seems to set my CPU racing to the moon and back!!!!. So don't know as yet. LinuxBBQ was sooooooooo overwhelmingly tempting. I have it burned to CD,...but came across reviews about the problems with the incessant upgrades causing mega problems...(since it IS basically SID) I burned the "Bork!" rendition,...so may have a look at some of the others (there only seems to be two of the 64bit versions). So far,...MX-15 with Fluxbox seems to be the one of the main-stream Debian editions that is working super-well for me (on both my "Uber-Mega-Gamer-Monster-Computer" ---down to my little wimpy HP Pavilion DV2000 finiky-fussy laptop). Right now I have to give 5 gold stars to MX-15 for it's no-nonsense OOTB pure Debian stuff.

I still want to keep trying CrunchBang ++ and LinuxBBq (as I love their philosophies.).

BTW,...how is something like "DebianDog"??? Maybe I should give that a looky (with my love of pure Debian,...coupled with Puppies).

Absolute Linux is pretty terrific, as well. I love it's basic, pure Slackware approach,..but getting new packages and software is,....well,.....the same headache and problems that pure Slackware has. Guess that's why I prefer Debian (and Debian-based distros). Mucho,....mucho,..mucho apps!!!!! Anytime,..anywhere,....you need it? Yup,..there's an app for that!

Also giving Barry's Quirky Xerus 8.0 another whrill on my picky-fussy laptop again. Seemed to work well,...but I messed that install up whilst fooling around with these Debian things. Barry always had my top-notch devotion since I first fell in love with Puppy 3.01. (ahhhhh, that was lovely).
I had a couple of old Hp Vectras then (128megs of ram,...20G hard drives,..etc. etc. etc.).

Colonel Panic

#2270 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi again nitie,

I think from what you're saying there's no perfect distro for everybody. I've been trying today to install some of the games I play on Legacy OS2 and Absolute, but have found it too difficult and it's too easy to just go back to Absolute.

Why isn't Absolute the perfect distro? Too drab looking for me. You're pretty much stick with IceWM as it's very hard to switch to an other window manager - harder than it is in raw Slackware - and the colour schemes are basically grey, darker grey and lighter grey (I've tried installing other IceWM themes but they wouldn't show up in the menu).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 14 May 2016, 17:34, edited 2 times in total.