Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Jul 2019, 11:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 161 of 195 [2920 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, ..., 193, 194, 195 Next
Pete

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep 2016, 07:15    Post subject:  

Hi Billtoo

I too have been a fan of Mint but I was a bit disappointed with 18 (Sarah).
Booted off a live DVD and went to set up dual screens.
It detects them but whatever changes I make (resolution, refresh rate, relative positions) don't take.

Since you got them working, I can only assume that there is a problem when running from the live DVD and this only works with a proper install.

Gave up on it and installed Xslacko with XFCE 4.
Computer is a HP Elitebook 8440p with i5 2.4GHz CPU, 2GB RAM and 320GB HDD.
It has a dual channel DisplayPort and VGA outputs.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep 2016, 08:07    Post subject:  

Pete wrote:

Since you got them working, I can only assume that there is a problem when running from the live DVD and this only works with a proper install.

Hi Pete, setting up the monitors worked fine on the mini.
When I added kodi and smplayer/smtube I did it from their homepage by
using the instructions for ubuntu to add a ppa, pretty sure any updates
to the applications are done with the usual update method after doing that.
Anyway, mint 18 is working fine so far for me.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 09:08    Post subject:  

I've recently been trying out AntiX MX-15 (the 64-but version). It's a great live disk but unfortunately I haven't had much luck with the installation to my hard drive; it always seems to stall for some reason and doesn't complete.
Packard Bell iMedia 6020 (AMD Athlon 3800+, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive) running Slackware64 (current), Slint 14.2.1.1, Sparky 4.10, Mint Debian 3.0, Siduction 18.3.0, VLocity 7.2, Puppy Fatdog 8.0.2 and Pardus 17.5 Deepin.
poorguy

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 09:48    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
I've recently been trying out AntiX MX-15 (the 64-but version). It's a great live disk but unfortunately I haven't had much luck with the installation to my hard drive; it always seems to stall for some reason and doesn't complete.

I've tried antix MX-15 and didn't really care for it after a few days of using it. It comes feature packed with software but it also for me had to many different problems so it went down the road.

I'm using antix 16 and it is super. After install and updates it works perfectly right out of the box which is what I prefer install and use.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/antiX-16/

The PoorGuy
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 13:08    Post subject:  

poorguy wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

I've tried antix MX-15 and didn't really care for it after a few days of using it. It comes feature packed with software but it also for me had to many different problems so it went down the road.

I'm using antix 16 and it is super. After install and updates it works perfectly right out of the box which is what I prefer install and use.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix-linux/files/Final/antiX-16/

The PoorGuy

Thanks for the reply and advice. It's a shame though that MX-15 is not sorted yet when AntiX 16 works so well; I might put a message on the AntiX forum and ask if they're looking into it. It looks great for a distro which runs on modest hardware so it would be good to sort it out.

BTW, if you want a Debian-based distro which used XFce as its desktop manager, I can recommend SolydX which works very well. IMO its only drawback is that it looks a bit "vanilla" but it's easily spruced up if you want to do that.

Packard Bell iMedia 6020 (AMD Athlon 3800+, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive) running Slackware64 (current), Slint 14.2.1.1, Sparky 4.10, Mint Debian 3.0, Siduction 18.3.0, VLocity 7.2, Puppy Fatdog 8.0.2 and Pardus 17.5 Deepin.
poorguy

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 18:48    Post subject:  

Hey Colonel Panic,

I'll have to give SolydX a look at. I can deal with a bit "vanilla" as I don't need eye candy.

The PoorGuy
James C

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 19:16    Post subject:  

For whatever it's worth, I use MX-15 every day and have been since it's beginning and have pretty much no problems. Same with AntiX. Been using AntiX almost as long as Puppy.

Just goes to show that different hardware and different users can reach entirely different results.

c'est la vie.
poorguy

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 19:44    Post subject:  

Hey James C,

Hardware does sometimes create problems but some of the problems I was having was with certain apps that came installed and wouldn't open and run. Same desktop antix 15-1 and antix 16 not one problem. Don't know.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 21:01    Post subject:  

poorguy wrote:
Hey Colonel Panic,

I'll have to give SolydX a look at. I can deal with a bit "vanilla" as I don't need eye candy.

The PoorGuy

I ran SolydX for awhile. Their personal repo handling and updater would give fits sometimes but it was not a deal breaker kind of thing for me.

MX just uses less ram at idle than SolydX and runs a newer XFCE <when I ran it>

You will find these things out on your own though. Hell. It might just trip your trigger for all I know. Laughing

Edit: Looks like I can still login to thier forums. Kewl.
poorguy

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep 2016, 12:08    Post subject:  

Hello,

Well I decided to give antiX MX-15 Fusion another try and see what happens.

I just find it hard to understand why one distro runs great and the other gives fits but I'm willing to see what happens with it on a different destop.

And now that I think about it had a similar situation with Puppy (tahrpup) and Slacko.
Puppy (tahrpup) likes me and Slacko doesn't like me.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep 2016, 15:21    Post subject:  

In other news; I've recently installed Salix XFce 14.2 (64-bit). Apart from the usual rigmarole with Salix resulting from the fact that one of the necessary files - .dmrc - is missing, it's working well.

I'm not convinced though that for most users, and certainly most Puppy users with older computers, there's much to be gained from using the 64-bit version of a distro as opposed to the 32-bit, but 64-bit is increasingly the default now.

@Poorguy; thanks for trying MX-15 again, I'd be interested to see what happens.

poorguy

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep 2016, 16:15    Post subject:  

Hello Colonel Panic,

Well they say that 3rd time is the charm and it must be true as all so far is going very well. Smile

Although I have found that most of my computers will install and run 64 bit it seems that some of mine run better with 32 bit .
I have always heard / read 64 bit is more secure but I'm not sure that is the case and uncertain why that would be. Confused
poorguy

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2016, 08:56    Post subject:  

Hello All,

Well Antix MX 15 Fusion is still working well and no real complaints.
This distro is complete with every app that an end-user would ever need.
Probably more than an end-user would use.

I personally don't find anything super great about Antix MX 15 Fusion.
On my desktop it uses the same amount of ram and cpu that my Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon uses.
It is a good Linux Distro and the developers did an excellent job building it. Perhaps I'm not seeing what everyone else is finding special about it.

Just another Linux Distro and definitely worth a look at.

The PoorGuy
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2016, 16:02    Post subject:  

poorguy wrote:
Hello All,

Well Antix MX 15 Fusion is still working well and no real complaints.
This distro is complete with every app that an end-user would ever need.
Probably more than an end-user would use.

I personally don't find anything super great about Antix MX 15 Fusion.
On my desktop it uses the same amount of ram and cpu that my Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon uses.
It is a good Linux Distro and the developers did an excellent job building it. Perhaps I'm not seeing what everyone else is finding special about it.

Just another Linux Distro and definitely worth a look at.

The PoorGuy

I've tried MX-15 again and still no luck with installing it (it stalls on formatting the partition).

I might see if there's a way to skip the formatting step and preformat the partition instead, but otherwise I'll probably have to give it up as a dead loss on my machine. Shame, because I like the look of it and it runs better on old computers than most other distros do.

poorguy

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2016, 12:56    Post subject:  

Hey Colonel Panic,

Are you sure it isn't a hardware issue as a HDD or some bad caps?
Some of my old computers just refuse to boot from a cd/dvd.

Is the integrity of your iso download good.
Try installing from a usb drive.
Page 161 of 195 [2920 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, ..., 193, 194, 195 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: