Till Windows starts to burgle him.

Chris.

musher0

#2718 Post by musher0 »

Hey!

There are alternatives to Garmin on Linux:
https://alternativeto.net/software/garm ... form=linux

For the rest of what belham2 says, what can I say? If the man wants to
become an M$ slave again, there is no law against it, unfortunately.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

belham2

#2719 Post by belham2 »

Lol, guys, how did you divine from what I wrote (verbatim):

"...Below are some pics, hope you enjoy. After 10+ years away, I am actually thinking of once again shuttling a Benjamin Franklin ($100) towards Seattle to have Windows rejoin my stable as an operating-system option..."

---so how did you divine from those words that I am leaving the pups & ddogs? Notice the word "option" in the above sentence. Option implies many choices currently already there. Also notice how I wrote about Garmin, and contrary to what anyone thinks and/or tries to quickly Google about, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the Linux world anywhere that will allow you to update your Garmin maps, software, fitness and other Garmin-specific data on your Garmin devices that interacts with the Garmin mothership. Garmin created a closed world non-open source platform, unfortunately, and then made it available for only Windows and Apple. Besides, reading data off any device is one thing (and mostly child's play), but updating the software that generates that data---especially maps---is a whole another matter. Take note.

So, Microsoft 10 is now in the stable, once again beside all my other ponies, from Puppies to DDogs to MX-Linux/Anti-X to Debian to Mint to Ubuntu and finally to the totally neurotic Fedora/Antergos/Manjaro triumvirate. This stable requires continual TLC care, lol, and devoted nurturing in the case of the pups & dogs.

fredx181

#2720 Post by fredx181 »

Hi belham, yeah, I see... "option", just wanted to say with my post something like "Hate to see you go !" :)
(as you're less active on the forum compared to some time ago)
Disappointing that some software has support only for Windows or Apple.
Btw, I must confess I also have Windows 10 on one of my laptops. :wink:
At that time for free :) (doesn't work anymore)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 291#868291

Fred

Colonel Panic

#2721 Post by Colonel Panic »

Exmouth on the south Devon coast is a place most British people will have heard of. Well, now it's got its own distro - based on Devuan and with the Trinity desktop, so fairly lightweight. Definitely worth a look IMO;

http://exegnulinux.net/
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

musher0

#2722 Post by musher0 »

Stable, eh? For a second there, I thought you were talking about horses!!! ROFL
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Gordie

#2723 Post by Gordie »

Other distro? The past week I have been absorbed by FreeBSD
--
Cheers
Gordie
Slackware64-Current, Thinkpad W510, Intel i7, 8G/500G, Lilo / Legacy.
Fatdog64 + 6 Puppies on USB flash drives.
Windows 10 / Slackware64-Current, HP desktop, Intel Core2 Duo, 4G/500G/250G, Lilo / Legacy.

rufwoof

#2724 Post by rufwoof »

Gordie wrote:Other distro? The past week I have been absorbed by FreeBSD
I migrated over from freebsd to openbsd as the defaults/config is soooo much easier by comparison. X runs as a restricted user and they tweak the likes of firefox to remove vulnerabilities i.e. put security first. I did however drop using nvidia to do that, and their repos are more limited. I tend to just use it for secure activities (run firefox under a restricted userid), and use Debian as my main daily boot.

Colonel Panic

#2725 Post by Colonel Panic »

That's interesting. I tried OpenBSD (or a live disk based on it, whose name I forget) but I found it a bit slow compared to the Linux distros I'd tried up until then. What's it like for speed now?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

rufwoof

#2726 Post by rufwoof »

OpenBSD were kept out of the Meltdown loop, so they've had some catching up to do. Firefox was relatively quickly plugged to reduce the risk (OBSD tweak firefox to be more secure anyway by default), and a Meltdown fix for most Intel CPU's is only just now rolling out (to -current) https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article ... 0221201856

Colonel Panic

#2727 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks. Just for the heck of it, I'm downloading the live disk of OpenBSD but I don't know whether I'll install it or not (probably not - it's been my experience that Linux distros and BSDs don't sit well together on the same hard drive).

nic007

#2728 Post by nic007 »

Looking for a good Windows 10 Lite version. Any recommendations?
PS: Only recommend if you have actually installed and used it.

rufwoof

#2729 Post by rufwoof »

Colonel Panic wrote:Thanks. Just for the heck of it, I'm downloading the live disk of OpenBSD but I don't know whether I'll install it or not (probably not - it's been my experience that Linux distros and BSDs don't sit well together on the same hard drive).
Works fine for me. I have grub4dos and menu.lst on the first ext3 partition, Debian also installed along with its grub2 and I chain the menu.lst to the Debian installed grub2 using (alongside other Puppy etc type boots)

title chain grub2
find --set-root /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
boot

I also have a direct BSD boot in menu.lst

title BSD sda4
root (hd0,3)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

For sda4 I originally just re-partitioned to create some free space for that, and set it as a type a6 and bootable ... and then I used a CD boot to install OBSD to that partition (I just use the default slices/partition that OBSD sets). OBSD in effect creates multiple partitions within a partition.

To update (I track -current) I use Debian to download the bsd.rd, in my case

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# retrieve the latest snapshot bsd.rd to / folder
cd /
HOST='ftp.mirrorservice.org'
USER='anonymous'
PASS='anonymous'
DIR='/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64'
FILE='bsd.rd'
ftp -n -v $HOST <<END_SCRIPT
ascii
user $USER $PASS
cd $DIR
binary
get $FILE
quit
END_SCRIPT
exit 0
reboot and select the grub2 boot choice in menu.lst and as part of that grub2 boot configuration I have entries of

menuentry 'OpenBSD' {
set root=(hd0,4)
chainloader +1
}

menuentry 'OpenBSD bsd.rd' {
kopenbsd /bsd.rd
}

that were added by creating/editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom to contain entries of

menuentry 'OpenBSD' {
set root=(hd0,4)
chainloader +1
}

menuentry 'OpenBSD bsd.rd' {
kopenbsd /bsd.rd
}

before updating grub

i.e. I use kopenbsd (that isn't available in grub4dos) to boot the bsd.rd that was downloaded to be alongside menu.lst on the first ext3 partition.

Once installed once, updates/reinstalls are mostly just a case of hitting ENTER to select the defaults and takes just 5 minutes or so (I reinstall freshly each time rather than update).

After that I boot OBSD and mount a ext3 partition (my sda2)
cd /mnt
mkdir sda2
mount /dev/sd0j sda2

cd to that and run a script that verifies the integrity of the bsd.rd, and another script that copies across copies of my configuration files (I use twm so for instance ~/.twmrc ...etc.).

The verification (using signify) script I use is ...

#!/bin/sh
# run after booting the newly installed bsd.rd to check that the bsd.rd
# used to do the install has a valid signify
cd /mnt
mkdir sda1
mount /dev/sd0i sda1
cd sda1
cp bsd.rd /mnt/sda2/reinstall-openbsd/bsd.rd
# also copy to / so if we need to boot that under bsd
cp bsd.rd /bsd.rd
cd /mnt
umount sda1
cd /mnt/sda2/reinstall-openbsd
ftp https://ftp.mirrorservice.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/`uname -m`/SHA256.sig
key1=`ls /etc/signify/openbsd-??-base.pub | tail -2 | head -1`
key2=`ls /etc/signify/openbsd-??-base.pub | tail -2 | tail -1`
(signify -C -p $key1 -x SHA256.sig bsd.rd || signify -C -p $key2 -x SHA256.sig bsd.rd) || exit 1
Make sure you do backups before installing however. The first time I did a install it installed to the entire disk (unfamiliarity error on my behalf).

ext3 is a good choice for Linux IMO as it can be mounted as though a ext2 by BSD whilst it can also be mounted as though it were ext4 under Linux. I tend to store all my data files under ext3 for that portability. If you use native ext4 then yes Linux/Debian and OBSD might not sit well with each other.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2730 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new install of Slackware 64 to my HP desktop:

System: Host: ************* Kernel: 4.4.115 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Slackware 14.2
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: N/A
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: 6 core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0) version: 3.3 Mesa 11.2.2
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: NA (-)
Weather: Conditions: 39 F (4 C) - Overcast Time: February 23, 9:10 PM EST
Info: Processes: 239 Uptime: 3:20 Memory: 1346.6/7966.6MB Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 2.3.56

Have to relearn lots of things :)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(50.4 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

Gordie

#2731 Post by Gordie »

Colonel Panic wrote:Thanks. Just for the heck of it, I'm downloading the live disk of OpenBSD but I don't know whether I'll install it or not (probably not - it's been my experience that Linux distros and BSDs don't sit well together on the same hard drive).
That USED to be what I thought too but times have changed. The problem I experienced came from my lack of understanding of the different terms used to explain partitions of the hdd. Once I found the answer it is easy for me now
--
Cheers
Gordie
Windows 10 / Slackware64-Current, HP desktop, Intel Core2 Duo, 4G/500G/250G, Lilo / Legacy.

Gordie

#2732 Post by Gordie »

Colonel Panic wrote:That's interesting. I tried OpenBSD (or a live disk based on it, whose name I forget) but I found it a bit slow compared to the Linux distros I'd tried up until then. What's it like for speed now?
I find it slow. Seems like the graphics driver needs attention. Things like automount won't work no matter what I do, Only can do ext2 so is impossible for me to get Slackware and BSD to communicate with a usb thumb
--
Cheers
Gordie

Colonel Panic

#2733 Post by Colonel Panic »

Gordie wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:That's interesting. I tried OpenBSD (or a live disk based on it, whose name I forget) but I found it a bit slow compared to the Linux distros I'd tried up until then. What's it like for speed now?
I find it slow. Seems like the graphics driver needs attention. Things like automount won't work no matter what I do, Only can do ext2 so is impossible for me to get Slackware and BSD to communicate with a usb thumb
That's a shame. I think if mission-critical security is a top priority for you OpenBSD is probably a good choice, but otherwise I'm left wondering what advantages it offers over a Linux distro such as Slackware (which I suppose it most closely resembles). Also, I format my partitions with ext4 as standard so it doesn't sound like they'd sit well with OpenBSD on the same hard drive.

rufwoof

#2734 Post by rufwoof »

Colonel Panic wrote:I think if mission-critical security is a top priority for you OpenBSD is probably a good choice, but otherwise I'm left wondering what advantages it offers over a Linux distro
I like how its integral - kernel, userland (including X) and documentation all bound together. man pages are fantastic, and errors in that text are recorded/managed as any other 'bug'. Makes things far simpler, avoids systemD and collectively can be much better security audited. By default OBSD boot is very secure. They even tweak 3rd party programs such as firefox to be more secure by default. Package (program) installation is as easy as pkg_add xxxx

I've switched back from -current to install/use -release/stable and I'm using openup to provide all the binary patches/updates to both the base system and packages (third party programs). Nice and quick/easy to keep patched up.

The default of being secure does mean that the default setup is slower than if you tweak some of the settings. Async disk IO for instance instead of synd'd. Some graphics tweaks as well ... and speed is comparable, perhaps even better than Linux whilst still being acceptably secure for a typical desktop setup.

Of the three windows managers in the base system I find fvwm to be too configurable. Tempts you into tweaking things often. So I mostly flip between cwm and twm preferring cwm on a laptop type setup, twm for a desktop. The default configs for those aren't to most peoples taste so you do have to make changes there, but for instance cwm config is pretty simple/light, my .cwmrc for instance consists of just ...

fontname "sans-serif:pixelsize=24"
ignore xclock
borderwidth 4
color inactiveborder AntiqueWhite
color activeborder LightCoral
color selfont "#CCCCFF"
color font "#000000"
color menufg "CCCCFF"
color menubg "222222"
gap 4 0 0 0
bind-key 4-f window-fullscreen
bind-key 4-r restart
bind-key 4-q window-delete
bind-key 4-Left "mixerctl outputs.master=-12"
bind-key 4-Right "mixerctl outputs.master=+12"
bind-mouse M-1 window-resize
bind-mouse 4-2 window-lower
bind-mouse 4-1 window-move
bind-mouse S-1 window-hide
sticky yes
command "  Xterm      " 'xterm -geometry 80x24'
command "  FireFox    " "firefox-esr"
command "  Xfe        " "xfe"
command "  Xfw        " "xfw"
command "  XCalc      " "xcalc"
command "  gnumeric   " "gnumeric"
command "  mtpaint    " "mtpaint"
command "  osmo       " "osmo"
command "  Exit       " pkill cwm

greengeek

#2735 Post by greengeek »

rufwoof wrote:The default of being secure ...
How do you define "secure" though. Does this involve trusting someone else or do they give the user the same power puppy users have? What extra security do they have compared to puppy users (and who controls/manages that security?)