Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gychang

#2911 Post by gychang »

have been on Bionicpup64 for 2 weeks and Quirky Beaver64, both pups not a true separate OS...

Both on HD install, only quirk!! on Beaver64 is I was only able to install on a whole HD (120G SSD), would have preferred to install to 20G partition but could not do this. Trying to install Bionpicpup64 on the same HD on a separate partition with Grub4Dos bootloader failed to boot....

anyone have a suggestion on how to install both in one HD?
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

Colonel Panic

#2912 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi gychang,

I've had a similar problem with Puppy not recognising my save files when I booted it up. What I did was reserve the first partition of my hard drive for Puppy and then do a frugal install, with whatever save files you make going in that partition. Each Puppy live disk will recognise its own save file and boot that one, ignoring the others on the same partition.

(I've only used IDE and SCSI hard drives so far; I assume it's the same for SSDs.)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#2913 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of Pardus, 17.5 (deepin edition). This is the first distro I've used with deepin as the desktop manager and so far I'm impressed; it looks a lot like Gnome but uses fewer system resources to run, and Pardus itself is a stable and competent distro with little to criticise apart from perhaps the rather dark colour theme (though you get used to that).
Attachments
DeepinScreenshot_Desktop_20190414142137.jpg
(103.69 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

wiak

#2914 Post by wiak »

I'm just trying Slitaz64 and TinyCore64 again (following my own install instructions given elsewhere on this thread). However, I'm disappointed neither of them has kernel using overlayfs or aufs; there is so much I could do with Slitaz in particular if it did come with one of those. Of course could use specially compiled kernel etc, but I'm not interested in so much effort for a rolling release. I'm not surprised tinycore doesn't have either but thought Slitaz maybe used one or the other, but apparently not - was going to add persistence with it rather than currently having to continually remaster rootfs.gz in Slitaz... Maybe I can find an alternative but I had a plan if only it had worked with overlayfs... oh well.

I know about TazPup and TazDog for that matter, of course, but I wanted to modify pristine Slitaz directly rather than piggyback load them with alternative system/kernel.

EDIT: Having checked out Slitaz site, now seems to me that loram build will include either aufs or overlayfs module inclusion. I will check further.

wiak

wiak

#2915 Post by wiak »

I'm giving up on Slitaz now - just doesn't seem to be getting developed much and so-called rolling version comes with ancient kernel and components. Slitaz Next seems to have problems and so on... Lo-ram versions do come with aufs I think, but I have no great interest until and unless its developement accelerates from its current apparent standstill. Continuing with Void Linux along with Xenial or Bionic Dog as my main installs - intending making my own live Void version for frugal install/persistence and sfs handling, but don't know when or if I'd publish that. Void is very good as a full install though aside from the fact its grub2 erased my previous windoze boot loader etc... but I'm glad now since erasing windoze has freed up much needed dev space on my machine and I'm finally getting used to grub2 instead of grub4dos (proving easy to translate from my old menu.lst into grub2 formats thankfully... and no more wee bootloader errors to worry about is good too...).

wiak

Colonel Panic

#2916 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of Connie Sieh's Scientific Linux series 6, version 6.10 (series 7 doesn't work on my machine). It's quite retro as you'd expect from a CentOS-based distro (version 4 of LibreOffice, for example), but it works well with no problems and seems very stable.

Colonel Panic

#2917 Post by Colonel Panic »

I had a couple of missteps with Zenwalk 8 and Fedora 30, which might have been bad burns to DVD so I'm reluctant to blame the distros themselves.

It's been a bank holiday weekend in the UK, so I had plenty of time to install two new distros which are both working well; Mageia 6.1 and Rosa R11 (LXQt). Mageia though has the longest install of any distro I've ever seen, well over two hours long including the compilation of the video driver.

01101001b

#2918 Post by 01101001b »

Running away from systemd, I've been trying MIYO-Compiz... pure perfection.

Based upon Devuan Beowulf/Ceres. Amazingly, it's pretty stable.

I know only one distro that's even closer to perfection than that... and it's my system: Dpup Stretch 7.5 RC-2; otherwise, I'd make the switch, eyes wide shut.

Colonel Panic

#2919 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest alpha of AntiX, 19a1 (64-bit). Alhough it's an alpha I can't so far see any issues with it at all (though I have to admit I prefer the old wallpaper and splash screen, of a train station in the evening rain - but others may of course disagree).

Colonel Panic

#2920 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another good one for fans of Mint; Feren OS 2019.04, which is built on Mint Cinnamon and features a colourful desktop balloon as its standard wallpaper, and pastel shaded menus.

https://ferenos.weebly.com/news/a-new-s ... t-cinnamon

It comes with Vivaldi as its default browser though so you would need to install Firefox and Thunderbird if like me you want those.

[EDIT: it has a problem insofar as anything typed into text boxes when you are in it can take an inordinate amount of time to appear. Because I do a lot of that I'm back in a Debian-based distro (Sparky) to post this.]

Colonel Panic

#2921 Post by Colonel Panic »

The latest version of Pardus, a distribution developed by the Turkish government and based on Debian 10, is out now and I've just installed it. As with previous incarnations of Pardus, I'm very impressed with it except that I don't at all like the red / purple theme it has throughout (which is very much like PCLinuxOS's).

I've also recently installed the latest versions of Slint (14.2.1.2) and SolydX'S EE (Experimental Edition), which like Pardus is based on Debian 10, and both are running well.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 09 Aug 2019, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2922 Post by Flash »

TrueOS-x64-18.12 is supposed to be based on Free BSD. I downloaded the .iso and burned it to a DVD with burniso2cd. It booted and I logged in as root, with no password needed, but I couldn't get it to do anything after that. From what I read, it should have booted to some kind of desktop, but mine never went past a text-only interface and I couldn't guess any commands that it knew. Not like Puppy at all. :(

rufwoof

#2923 Post by rufwoof »

Hi Flash

TrueOS follows current and FreeBSD's current is fundamentally unstable, a experimental OS for cutting edge developers. At least it did when first released, may have changed as that didn't go down at all well with the FreeBSD regulars.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

williams2

#2924 Post by williams2 »

All of the packages needed for a fully functional server OS are included out of the box
Desktop environments may be downloaded and installed via the package management (pkg) system
A server is different from a general purpose personal computer. A server sits in a locked room, probably with other server machines. They really don't need keyboards or mice or video monitors or sound cards or even sound card drivers. They just need a network connection and a power supply. Mostly what they do is copy files from the local network and send them to whatever asked for it.

Dell for example sell server machines, optimized for server use.

An operating system optimized for use as a server is unlikely to make a good OS for general purpose use.

rufwoof

#2925 Post by rufwoof »

A server is different from a general purpose personal computer. A server sits in a locked room, probably with other server machines. They really don't need keyboards or mice or video monitors or sound cards or even sound card drivers. They just need a network connection and a power supply. Mostly what they do is copy files from the local network and send them to whatever asked for it.
The Unix philosophy is : everything is a file ... and ... each task does one thing, and does it well. Sound, videos ...etc. are just files (or streams) of bytes. Mice, keyboards, monitors, sound cards are only needed for human interface, to display a file/stream content that carries video/sound, or enable the person to create file content (keyboard), or control processes flow (mouse).

In a terminal/server setup the terminal end provides the human interface, and depending upon needs that can be very lightweight. I have multi-boot choices and some of those are very lightweight, basically just the kernel + busybox ... typically around 15MB in size and enough to get to a command prompt displayed on a screen and accept keyboard entry (commands). With that I ssh into a server and from there I have multiple sessions that keep running even when my 'terminal' is switched off (can disconnect and reconnect again leaving things running on the server). On that server typically I leave IRC running, others might leave long compilations running ...etc. I can also run a browser (albeit a text only browser), visit BBS's (that often use ansi graphics), store things, view emails and partake of mail-lists ...etc. Fundamentally communicate and share things with others. That setup has just a single encrypted link between my terminal (laptop) and the server. My ISP/state doesn't see the what/where of my activities, only a encrypted connection with the content unknown to them data flow through that link. Similarly places I visit do not see my laptops IP, only the servers IP.

If my general purpose needs are to have sounds/videos/graphical browser etc. then instead of that 15MB terminal boot I have to boot up a system that has X (graphical user interface) and programs such as Chrome browser, along with loading all the drivers displaying videos/listening to sounds etc involves, which massively bloats out the size (typically 1GB minimum (non compressed)) of the system being loaded. That also opens you right up, you're ISP/state can monitor your activities, as can places (sites) you visit, and its much easier for others to slip things into your local system and/or gain control over your system. Google gains much of its revenues from targeting adverts and profiling individuals, so whilst its browser is free to download/install/use, the price being paid is yourself. Many don't care about that price often saying that they have nothing to hide, but paraphrasing Snowden that's like saving you have nothing to say.
Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.
When a state can monitor your movements, spending and activities (google searches etc.) then that's paramount to a open-prison. You're being left free to do those activities until some one person somewhere may decide that you should be moved to a closed-prison. And where all of your money/wealth is not actually yours, but instead is just a loan that can be called in at any time. The acceptance of that is so broad now that individuals who might opt out attract focus. A part of 'Big Data' is not only to monitor everything/everywhere, but also to highlight and track those not openly shouting out their movements/activities. Fundamentally a bad form of communism has won. The ideal of communism is ...
system of social organization in which all property is owned by the community and each person contributes and receives according to their ability and needs.
.. but where more often in the current world individuals needs aren't being met and instead the few retain the wealth for themselves that otherwise might be spent on others.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

6502coder

LXLE Bionic Beaver is in beta

#2926 Post by 6502coder »

Good news for fans of LXLE, the midweight respin of Lubuntu. Despite Lubuntu's abandonment of both LXDE and the "friendly to old hardware" philosophy, LXLE is forging on and LXLE 18.04.3 Beta has just been released. This is the first version of LXLE to be based on Bionic Beaver.

I've been running LXLE on my old P4 desktop for years. Currently I'm on the Xenial-based 16.04.3 version, so it's good to know I'll have a Bionic successor to turn to when Xenial goes EOL.

nubc

#2927 Post by nubc »

Anyone done a review of MX Linux? Would be interesting to see it compared to Puppy.

belham2

#2928 Post by belham2 »

nubc wrote:Anyone done a review of MX Linux? Would be interesting to see it compared to Puppy.
Hi NUBC,

If it helps any, I did a review of Anti-X here in "Other Distros" awhile back:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 626#979626

I since graduated to MX-Linux, since a lot of MX is built off of Anti-X.

MX-Linux, for me, is wonderful on both my old and new machines (they have 32 and 64 bit versions, I run both).

Personally, MX-Linux Tools in the OS is unmatched anywhere (except for Fred's DDogs stuff comes really close) that I have seen in Puppy or otherwise. Specifically: remastering.

In MX-Linux, the ability to quickly remaster and have the remaster save EVERY single Personal Setting (and, imagine this, you can click by simple check-mark in simple boxes what out of Home Directory you don't or what you do want saved) is sublime.

MX's remastering is incredible, fast and efficient. Then, at the end, it asks you (with another simple choice click) if you want to install this created remastered-ISO to a USB stick/drive or if you want to DD it. Again, one click.

As I argued here--http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 633#987633 ....and ended up having to fight the well-known Luddite troglodyte of our Puppy Forum, Puppy's Remastering abilities, while fair and they do work but with limitations (unless you grab Nic007's scripts, but still, even then, things are a bit of a pain and NIC007 should never have had to do this in the first place but he wanted to try to improve the remaster process in puppy) are old, stale and out-of-date. Puppy, with regards to remastering, has been left in the dark ages compared to what MX-Linux has done.

....and the MX- team has not looked back as refinements (all around) keep coming at a good, steady clip. MX-Linux/Anti-X is all about the user.

Give MX-Linux's latest ISO a spin, think you will be more than pleasantly surprised. Just upon seeing the boot menu and the simple layout of having innumerable boot choices/options all simply explained will make your puppy heart warm.

MX won't replace all of our love for Pups/DDogs, but the two have become sort of inseparable to me now. Even though we all know of Distrowatch's crazied & flawed ranking system of Linux OSes on its home age, there is a fundamental "focus-on-the-user" reason MX-Linux has shot to the top of the Distros ranking several months ago, above all other distros (large and small alike).

mtzlplex

#2929 Post by mtzlplex »

Just an average user here, nothing techy about this reply. Wife loves it. I put it on her machine back when mx-15 first came out. Full install to the hd, and have since progressed to the latest version mx-18+. We use it on an old e-machine, 32 bit dual core 4gb ram nothing special. This machine is at least 8, or 9 years old, and it loves mx. Everything works as it should on this machine, and when I dropped a little 16 gb transcend ssd in , I got a very good speed increase out of it. It`s a keeper as far as we`re concerned.

Colonel Panic

#2930 Post by Colonel Panic »

After some bad experiences with recent editions of Sparky, I'm happy to say that the latest one, Sparky 2019.08, installed first time on my machine and is working well.

It doesn't come with its excellent configuration of Conky any more though, which is a shame because that was one of its best features IMO.