Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 19 Sep 2019, 08:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 196 of 196 [2931 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 194, 195, 196
6502coder

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2019, 16:09    Post subject: LXLE Bionic Beaver is in beta  

Good news for fans of LXLE, the midweight respin of Lubuntu. Despite Lubuntu's abandonment of both LXDE and the "friendly to old hardware" philosophy, LXLE is forging on and LXLE 18.04.3 Beta has just been released. This is the first version of LXLE to be based on Bionic Beaver.

I've been running LXLE on my old P4 desktop for years. Currently I'm on the Xenial-based 16.04.3 version, so it's good to know I'll have a Bionic successor to turn to when Xenial goes EOL.
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2019, 09:06    Post subject:  

Anyone done a review of MX Linux? Would be interesting to see it compared to Puppy.
belham2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2019, 06:28    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
Anyone done a review of MX Linux? Would be interesting to see it compared to Puppy.

Hi NUBC,

If it helps any, I did a review of Anti-X here in "Other Distros" awhile back:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=979626#979626

I since graduated to MX-Linux, since a lot of MX is built off of Anti-X.

MX-Linux, for me, is wonderful on both my old and new machines (they have 32 and 64 bit versions, I run both).

Personally, MX-Linux Tools in the OS is unmatched anywhere (except for Fred's DDogs stuff comes really close) that I have seen in Puppy or otherwise. Specifically: remastering.

In MX-Linux, the ability to quickly remaster and have the remaster save EVERY single Personal Setting (and, imagine this, you can click by simple check-mark in simple boxes what out of Home Directory you don't or what you do want saved) is sublime.

MX's remastering is incredible, fast and efficient. Then, at the end, it asks you (with another simple choice click) if you want to install this created remastered-ISO to a USB stick/drive or if you want to DD it. Again, one click.

As I argued here--http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=987633#987633 ....and ended up having to fight the well-known Luddite troglodyte of our Puppy Forum, Puppy's Remastering abilities, while fair and they do work but with limitations (unless you grab Nic007's scripts, but still, even then, things are a bit of a pain and NIC007 should never have had to do this in the first place but he wanted to try to improve the remaster process in puppy) are old, stale and out-of-date. Puppy, with regards to remastering, has been left in the dark ages compared to what MX-Linux has done.

....and the MX- team has not looked back as refinements (all around) keep coming at a good, steady clip. MX-Linux/Anti-X is all about the user.

Give MX-Linux's latest ISO a spin, think you will be more than pleasantly surprised. Just upon seeing the boot menu and the simple layout of having innumerable boot choices/options all simply explained will make your puppy heart warm.

MX won't replace all of our love for Pups/DDogs, but the two have become sort of inseparable to me now. Even though we all know of Distrowatch's crazied & flawed ranking system of Linux OSes on its home age, there is a fundamental "focus-on-the-user" reason MX-Linux has shot to the top of the Distros ranking several months ago, above all other distros (large and small alike).
mtzlplex

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2019, 08:26    Post subject:  

Just an average user here, nothing techy about this reply. Wife loves it. I put it on her machine back when mx-15 first came out. Full install to the hd, and have since progressed to the latest version mx-18+. We use it on an old e-machine, 32 bit dual core 4gb ram nothing special. This machine is at least 8, or 9 years old, and it loves mx. Everything works as it should on this machine, and when I dropped a little 16 gb transcend ssd in , I got a very good speed increase out of it. It`s a keeper as far as we`re concerned.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2019, 03:12    Post subject:  

After some bad experiences with recent editions of Sparky, I'm happy to say that the latest one, Sparky 2019.08, installed first time on my machine and is working well.

It doesn't come with its excellent configuration of Conky any more though, which is a shame because that was one of its best features IMO.

Packard Bell iMedia 6020 (AMD Athlon 3800+, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive) running Sparky 2019.08 (current), Absolute 64, Mint Debian 3.0, Siduction 18.3.0, VLocity 7.2, Puppy Fatdog 8.0.2 and Pardus 17.5 Deepin.
nubc

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2019, 08:24    Post subject:  

Although I would prefer that the boot disc be a CD rather than a DVD, I like MX Linux quite a lot. Right now I am happily using tahrpup 605 (community), a frugal install using the CD as the boot device (slow as that is). Tahrpup 606 fails to boot because of kernel panic, so I guess this computer is too old. I would like to add a frugal install of MX Linux 18.3 using the DVD as boot device. Can someone briefly describe how to set that up on my current tahrpup box? I have a dedicated 30 GB ext3 partition on one of my two 4TB hard drives to run operating systems. Right now 21 GB are free on the 30-GB OS partition. The serious problem I had with LXLE was that it only auto-installed, erasing the entire disc. Hopefully, there are more options with MX Linux.Question: How big a footprint does a frugall install of MX Linux make? Can I uninstall unwanted programs like Libre Office?
Page 196 of 196 [2931 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 194, 195, 196
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: