Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 05:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 197 of 197 [2953 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 195, 196, 197
nitehawk

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep 2019, 14:11    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:

You may not know there's been a thread recently about Precise 5.7.1, which made the point that it's still very much a viable option and also made suggestions for software to run on it (I still use Precise 5.7.1 Large);

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114165

Thanks for that link! Yes, Precise Retro is doing really well on that particular old (2005) laptop. Works good with both the graphics and the wifi. It's a keeper on there. I managed to get a later version of Firefox on it (thanks to a forum member that I need to go look up again to give proper credit).
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 28 Sep 2019, 13:59    Post subject:  

nitehawk wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

You may not know there's been a thread recently about Precise 5.7.1, which made the point that it's still very much a viable option and also made suggestions for software to run on it (I still use Precise 5.7.1 Large);

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114165

Thanks for that link! Yes, Precise Retro is doing really well on that particular old (2005) laptop. Works good with both the graphics and the wifi. It's a keeper on there. I managed to get a later version of Firefox on it (thanks to a forum member that I need to go look up again to give proper credit).

You're welcome nitie, and there's also a pet somewhere that enables you to update the glibc libraries so that you can use modern browsers in the distro. I'll see if I can find it.

[EDIT: here's the link;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QjtL6jSRdViHrcy1nZbE_YrUKEA6lyhj/view

It's intended for Pale Moon 28.3.0 but I'm now posting from SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (in Precise 5.7.1. Large) and it's working fine.]

Packard Bell iMedia 6020 (AMD Athlon 3800+, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive) running Sparky 2019.08 (current), Absolute 64, Mint Debian 3.0, CrunchBang++ 10.1, Siduction 18.3.0, VLocity 7.2, Puppy Precise 5.7.1 Large and Pardus 19.0 XFCE.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 05 Oct 2019, 14:38    Post subject:  

I've just installed the latest version of Debian Stable, 10.1, and it's working well now although there were a few hiccups mainly due to its inability to recognise my network card (maybe due to the fact that my computer dates from 2006).

With Firefox, Osmo, Thunderbird andTextmaker 2018 all loaded the system monitor (LXTask) shows exactly 1000 MB of RAM being used, which I think is pretty decent in 2019.

Packard Bell iMedia 6020 (AMD Athlon 3800+, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive) running Sparky 2019.08 (current), Absolute 64, Mint Debian 3.0, CrunchBang++ 10.1, Siduction 18.3.0, VLocity 7.2, Puppy Precise 5.7.1 Large and Pardus 19.0 XFCE.
belham2

PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2019, 11:24    Post subject:  

Been using Anti-X & MX-Linux for a few years now, and they just went thru some months of testing & their final versions are out for both AntiX-19 and MX-Linux 19.

Here's latest MX-19 freshly installed to a 120GB NVMe, with 1st pic the latest Anti-X-19 running in VirtualBox inside it, and then just MX-Linux itself.

These two distros just keep getting more sublime.

(Well, I don't know WTH is wrong, I cant upload more than 1 pic into the same message....)
MX-19_x64.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   53.97 KB
 Viewed   527 Time(s)

MX-19_x64.jpg

belham2

PostPosted: Tue 22 Oct 2019, 11:34    Post subject:  

(attempting to add here in this post the antiX-19 pic I mentioned in the previous/above msg...and it's still failing in this msg....maybe it's the pic itself?.....trying a new pic...nope, still doesn't work....hmmm.....

Ok, found something weird that I honestly don't quite understand, will explain it here:

1) doesn't matter what Linux OS I use (MXLinux, Manjaro, Puppy, Debian), but I have VirtualBox loaded on them all (different machines: laptops & PCs)

2) I boot one of the machines, then open VirtualBox in that Linux desktop as it opens whatever OS I am testing/using in VirtualBox, and then open any screenshot app included in that Linux desktop to take a screenshot of it all (in the Linux desktop, not inside the Vbox).

3) No matter if I choose "select a region", or "active window" or choose the "whole screen", it dutifully takes the screenshot, saves it, etc, but when I upload it overall to Murga-Linux, whether it is a 70kb png or 70kb jpg, the picture will not appear on Murga and instead appears as a download for people to click in order to see it.

Really strange indeed....I am not sure if this behaviour happens on all forums, or if it is just Murga-linux forum.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct 2019, 19:22    Post subject:  

@ belham2:-

Y'know, rather than trying to add as an attachment, you may find you get on better using an image-hosting site.

I started out with Imgur, some years ago, but switched to PostImage around a year back. Imgur were going through a protracted re-design of their 'front-page', and nothing was working for quite a while. I got fed-up waiting for the problem to resolve itself, and switched hosts in the mean-time.

They have a rather neat feature where you can set a thumbnail of your image on the forum page, which can be clicked-on to open a full-sized version in their own viewer. Rufwoof also uses PostImage - or did - and I saw one of his posts where he'd done just that. I traced the URL back, saw what he'd done (and how), and now use it occasionally myself.

Here's my recent Racy 5.5.1 're-spin' to demonstrate:-

[Click to enlarge:-]

See what I mean? And here's a GIF demo I put together demonstrating use of the TeamViewer Chrome webapp running in Iron 69 under Tahrpup 6.0.6 - made with wiak/mcewanw's WeX screencaster, and converted with Fred's Gif-Creator.....just to prove that more than two items can be shown in the same post:-

[Click to enlarge:-]

I find it's by far the easiest way to 'serve-up' images/animations to demonstrate something/'prove a point'..... (And that's not including my signature, which is also hosted on PostImage. So that makes three items, if I'm not mistaken....no, four, if you include the avatar..!) Laughing

Mike. Wink

belham2

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2019, 03:32    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@ belham2:-

Y'know, rather than trying to add as an attachment, you may find you get on better using an image-hosting site.

I started out with Imgur, some years ago, but switched to PostImage around a year back. Imgur were going through a protracted re-design of their 'front-page', and nothing was working for quite a while. I got fed-up waiting for the problem to resolve itself, and switched hosts in the mean-time.

They have a rather neat feature where you can set a thumbnail of your image on the forum page, which can be clicked-on to open a full-sized version in their own viewer. Rufwoof also uses PostImage - or did - and I saw one of his posts where he'd done just that. I traced the URL back, saw what he'd done (and how), and now use it occasionally myself.

Here's my recent Racy 5.5.1 're-spin' to demonstrate:-

See what I mean? And here's a GIF demo I put together demonstrating use of the TeamViewer Chrome webapp running in Iron 69 under Tahrpup 6.0.6 - made with wiak/mcewanw's WeX screencaster, and converted with Fred's Gif-Creator.....just to prove that more than two items can be shown in the same post:-

I find it's by far the easiest way to 'serve-up' images/animations to demonstrate something/'prove a point'..... (And that's not including my signature, which is also hosted on PostImage. So that makes three items, if I'm not mistaken....no, four, if you include the avatar..!) Laughing

Mike. Wink

Hi ya, Mike. Hope you've been doing well and are in good health & spirits.

Thanks for the suggestions, will check them out.

Only thing I'm worried about is I did this years ago with Photobucket.com, even got to the point where I uploaded complete DIY writeups (cars, home water heating boilers, etc, etc) for various things, some with hundreds of pics (many I sadly had forgot to backup).

Those writeups reached into the hundreds of thousands of clicks & views, then Photobucket went ALL CAPITALIST ( Laughing ) and wanted me to pay for my account. Pay?? Why would I pay because I'd only used up half of my free GB allotment when they asked me to join.

Being the principle of the thing, I said 'sayōnara', and Photobucket still went ahead and locked my account. That wasn't so bad for me, but what really stunk was they locked the privilege of people (the public) being able to access the writeups and use them as they saw fit.

Some people had managed to save a few of my writeups, and posted them on other sites and/or hosted them themselves, but still, those writeups are all scattered, not easily findable (Google is not the magician when this happens) and thus not centralized any longer.

Ole' Murga here, when it comes to computer stuff, has been truly the only thing I've found over the decades of being free, and still allowing us to upload sub 250k( 800x600) images.

But I'll definitely check out what you wrote about PostImage: that GIF & thumbnail thing are really great. Wink Your Racy looks awesome (ACTG for the win!). Funny how many of us old-timers here always keep Racy/Precise (or a variation thereof) up-to-date as possible and running smoothly.

Thanks again.

P.S. ....and plz tell Boris & Westminster to make up their bloody mind(s), either get out or stay in! My many British friends on the Continent here are exhausted from the continual games and worry. They just want to know one way or the other, and not have to live in limbo.)
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct 2019, 16:09    Post subject:  

After several false starts, I finally managed to get Neptune 6.0 working properly. The Neptune bootup menu gives you a choice of kernels to boot, and the one that works for this *machine is the oldest one.

I also managed to find a solution to a problem which I've mentioned before in this thread when I installed Neptune over a year ago; when I'm in Openbox and try to move a window around the desktop, the desktop doesn't refresh and the window leaves a trail all around the screen, making it unusable very quickly.

Fortunately there's a fix for it, which I found from a Ubuntu forum. You have to look for a directory called /usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu and then, in that, a file called openbox-autostart. Then uncomment this line;

#test -z $BG || $BG -solid "#303030"

It works! I've had a similar problem in Siduction, and the solution is the same.

* My computer is thirteen years old; as they say, your mileage may vary.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2019, 16:09    Post subject:  

I've had a few problems recently with ExeGNU (an English distro which is based on Devuan but with the Trinity desktop manager), but I'm happy to report that the latest version from the 13th October installed well and works just fine. Trinity (based on KDE 3 series) looks good too, with a smart and slightly retro feel.

It uses Palemoon as its main browser and KOffice as its office suite, though it's easy to install additional software if you prefer it (I installed LibreOffice and Softmaker FreeOffice as well as I'm not much of a fan of KOffice).

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 07:52    Post subject:  

I've just installed OpenSUSE Leap 42.2, hoping to update it to a later version soon. As with other editions of OpenSUSE I've tried, It's working well except that I've so far been unable to play "on-page" videos on sites like WTA and Twitter.
nitehawk

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 09:43    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
I've had a few problems recently with ExeGNU (an English distro which is based on Devuan but with the Trinity desktop manager), but I'm happy to report that the latest version from the 13th October installed well and works just fine. Trinity (based on KDE 3 series) looks good too, with a smart and slightly retro feel.

It uses Palemoon as its main browser and KOffice as its office suite, though it's easy to install additional software if you prefer it (I installed LibreOffice and Softmaker FreeOffice as well as I'm not much of a fan of KOffice).

Is ExeGNU like Q4OS? Q4OS also uses the Trinity desktop,..and seemed to work well with older computers.
I just now dug out my old (2004) Dell Optiplex GX270 clamshell. Had XP on it {shudder}...but I was delighted to discover that it also had an install of Precise 5.7.1 on it as well (posting from that right now). Looking for a Debian to replace that XP partition.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2019, 16:19    Post subject:  

H i again Nitie,

It's a long time since I used Q4OS, but from memory the main difference is that ExeGNU is based on Devuan and doesn't have systemd, whereas Q4OS is based on Debian and does. ExeGNU also uses some Refracta tools, particularly the installer which is offered as an alternative to the main one.

http://exegnulinux.net/

ExeGNU is also from my part of the world, being created in Exmouth in Devon in south-west England, whereas I'm in Cornwall which is the next county over to the west Smile

nitehawk

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2019, 15:37    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
H i again Nitie,

http://exegnulinux.net/

ExeGNU is also from my part of the world, being created in Exmouth in Devon in south-west England, whereas I'm in Cornwall which is the next county over to the west Smile

Going to have a look at it right now.
Page 197 of 197 [2953 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 195, 196, 197
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: