Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nitehawk

#2941 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote:
You may not know there's been a thread recently about Precise 5.7.1, which made the point that it's still very much a viable option and also made suggestions for software to run on it (I still use Precise 5.7.1 Large);

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114165
Thanks for that link! Yes, Precise Retro is doing really well on that particular old (2005) laptop. Works good with both the graphics and the wifi. It's a keeper on there. I managed to get a later version of Firefox on it (thanks to a forum member that I need to go look up again to give proper credit).

Colonel Panic

#2942 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
You may not know there's been a thread recently about Precise 5.7.1, which made the point that it's still very much a viable option and also made suggestions for software to run on it (I still use Precise 5.7.1 Large);

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114165
Thanks for that link! Yes, Precise Retro is doing really well on that particular old (2005) laptop. Works good with both the graphics and the wifi. It's a keeper on there. I managed to get a later version of Firefox on it (thanks to a forum member that I need to go look up again to give proper credit).
You're welcome nitie, and there's also a pet somewhere that enables you to update the glibc libraries so that you can use modern browsers in the distro. I'll see if I can find it.

[EDIT: here's the link;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QjtL6j ... 6lyhj/view

It's intended for Pale Moon 28.3.0 but I'm now posting from SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (in Precise 5.7.1. Large) and it's working fine.]
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#2943 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of Debian Stable, 10.1, and it's working well now although there were a few hiccups mainly due to its inability to recognise my network card (maybe due to the fact that my computer dates from 2006).

With Firefox, Osmo, Thunderbird andTextmaker 2018 all loaded the system monitor (LXTask) shows exactly 1000 MB of RAM being used, which I think is pretty decent in 2019.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

belham2

#2944 Post by belham2 »

Been using Anti-X & MX-Linux for a few years now, and they just went thru some months of testing & their final versions are out for both AntiX-19 and MX-Linux 19.

Here's latest MX-19 freshly installed to a 120GB NVMe, with 1st pic the latest Anti-X-19 running in VirtualBox inside it, and then just MX-Linux itself.

These two distros just keep getting more sublime.

(Well, I don't know WTH is wrong, I cant upload more than 1 pic into the same message....)
Attachments
MX-19_x64.jpg
(53.97 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times

belham2

#2945 Post by belham2 »

(attempting to add here in this post the antiX-19 pic I mentioned in the previous/above msg...and it's still failing in this msg....maybe it's the pic itself?.....trying a new pic...nope, still doesn't work....hmmm.....

Ok, found something weird that I honestly don't quite understand, will explain it here:

1) doesn't matter what Linux OS I use (MXLinux, Manjaro, Puppy, Debian), but I have VirtualBox loaded on them all (different machines: laptops & PCs)

2) I boot one of the machines, then open VirtualBox in that Linux desktop as it opens whatever OS I am testing/using in VirtualBox, and then open any screenshot app included in that Linux desktop to take a screenshot of it all (in the Linux desktop, not inside the Vbox).

3) No matter if I choose "select a region", or "active window" or choose the "whole screen", it dutifully takes the screenshot, saves it, etc, but when I upload it overall to Murga-Linux, whether it is a 70kb png or 70kb jpg, the picture will not appear on Murga and instead appears as a download for people to click in order to see it.

Really strange indeed....I am not sure if this behaviour happens on all forums, or if it is just Murga-linux forum.

Mike Walsh

#2946 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ belham2:-

Y'know, rather than trying to add as an attachment, you may find you get on better using an image-hosting site.

I started out with Imgur, some years ago, but switched to PostImage around a year back. Imgur were going through a protracted re-design of their 'front-page', and nothing was working for quite a while. I got fed-up waiting for the problem to resolve itself, and switched hosts in the mean-time.

They have a rather neat feature where you can set a thumbnail of your image on the forum page, which can be clicked-on to open a full-sized version in their own viewer. Rufwoof also uses PostImage - or did - and I saw one of his posts where he'd done just that. I traced the URL back, saw what he'd done (and how), and now use it occasionally myself.

Here's my recent Racy 5.5.1 're-spin' to demonstrate:-

[Click to enlarge:-]

See what I mean? And here's a GIF demo I put together demonstrating use of the TeamViewer Chrome webapp running in Iron 69 under Tahrpup 6.0.6 - made with wiak/mcewanw's WeX screencaster, and converted with Fred's Gif-Creator.....just to prove that more than two items can be shown in the same post:-

[Click to enlarge:-]

I find it's by far the easiest way to 'serve-up' images/animations to demonstrate something/'prove a point'..... (And that's not including my signature, which is also hosted on PostImage. So that makes three items, if I'm not mistaken....no, four, if you include the avatar..!) :lol:

Mike. :wink:

belham2

#2947 Post by belham2 »

Colonel Panic

#2948 Post by Colonel Panic »

After several false starts, I finally managed to get Neptune 6.0 working properly. The Neptune bootup menu gives you a choice of kernels to boot, and the one that works for this *machine is the oldest one.

I also managed to find a solution to a problem which I've mentioned before in this thread when I installed Neptune over a year ago; when I'm in Openbox and try to move a window around the desktop, the desktop doesn't refresh and the window leaves a trail all around the screen, making it unusable very quickly.

Fortunately there's a fix for it, which I found from a Ubuntu forum. You have to look for a directory called /usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu and then, in that, a file called openbox-autostart. Then uncomment this line;

#test -z $BG || $BG -solid "#303030"

It works! I've had a similar problem in Siduction, and the solution is the same.

* My computer is thirteen years old; as they say, your mileage may vary.

Colonel Panic

#2949 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've had a few problems recently with ExeGNU (an English distro which is based on Devuan but with the Trinity desktop manager), but I'm happy to report that the latest version from the 13th October installed well and works just fine. Trinity (based on KDE 3 series) looks good too, with a smart and slightly retro feel.

It uses Palemoon as its main browser and KOffice as its office suite, though it's easy to install additional software if you prefer it (I installed LibreOffice and Softmaker FreeOffice as well as I'm not much of a fan of KOffice).

Colonel Panic

#2950 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed OpenSUSE Leap 42.2, hoping to update it to a later version soon. As with other editions of OpenSUSE I've tried, It's working well except that I've so far been unable to play "on-page" videos on sites like WTA and Twitter.

nitehawk

#2951 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote:I've had a few problems recently with ExeGNU (an English distro which is based on Devuan but with the Trinity desktop manager), but I'm happy to report that the latest version from the 13th October installed well and works just fine. Trinity (based on KDE 3 series) looks good too, with a smart and slightly retro feel.

It uses Palemoon as its main browser and KOffice as its office suite, though it's easy to install additional software if you prefer it (I installed LibreOffice and Softmaker FreeOffice as well as I'm not much of a fan of KOffice).
Is ExeGNU like Q4OS? Q4OS also uses the Trinity desktop,..and seemed to work well with older computers.
I just now dug out my old (2004) Dell Optiplex GX270 clamshell. Had XP on it {shudder}...but I was delighted to discover that it also had an install of Precise 5.7.1 on it as well (posting from that right now). Looking for a Debian to replace that XP partition.

Colonel Panic

#2952 Post by Colonel Panic »

H i again Nitie,

It's a long time since I used Q4OS, but from memory the main difference is that ExeGNU is based on Devuan and doesn't have systemd, whereas Q4OS is based on Debian and does. ExeGNU also uses some Refracta tools, particularly the installer which is offered as an alternative to the main one.

http://exegnulinux.net/

ExeGNU is also from my part of the world, being created in Exmouth in Devon in south-west England, whereas I'm in Cornwall which is the next county over to the west :)

nitehawk

#2953 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote:H i again Nitie,

http://exegnulinux.net/

ExeGNU is also from my part of the world, being created in Exmouth in Devon in south-west England, whereas I'm in Cornwall which is the next county over to the west :)
Going to have a look at it right now.

mikeslr

If you're running a debian or Ubuntu, try DogRadio

#2954 Post by mikeslr »

See this post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 61#1041661. DogRadio's dependencies are listed here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 651#984651 but for some reason when it started --and it did start-- a notification appeared that xdotool was missing. As with the listed dependencies synaptic was used to install it.

6502coder

LXLE 18.04.3

#2955 Post by 6502coder »

I've just installed the Bionic-based LXLE 18.04.3 on my Dell XPS desktop system, dual-booting with Win 7 Pro. For those not familiar with it, LXLE is a light-middleweight respin of Lubuntu LTS. But whereas Lubuntu itself has moved on to LXQt, LXLE continues to use the LXDE desktop.

This release of LXLE looks very much like the previous Xenial-based "Eclectica" version, which is good news for me as I have already been running LXLE Eclectica dual-boot on my ancient WinXP Dell desktop, so very little learning curve. LXLE continues to be a good choice for someone seeking an easy-to-use, mainstream Linux with low hardware demands.

I've seen one or two mentions in this thread of problems with installing LXLE on a UEFI system, so it may be worth mentioning that my installation went flawlessly -- once I overcame one mis-step. Although my Dell XPS is UEFI, I have it set up to run in Legacy mode with Secure Boot off. I did that several years ago so as a precaution against problems running Linux off removable media, such as Puppy LiveCDs. Also -- in case it's relevant -- my hard drive uses MBR partitioning and not GPT.

Anyway, after defragging my hard drive using Piriform's Defraggler and repartitioning using Window's diskmgmt.msc to free up space for LXLE, I burned the LXLE ISO to a DVD, booted it up, and ran the LXLE installer. All went well until I was trying to repartition the free space on my hard drive. Then the installer complained about there not being an EFI partition and sternly advised me to abort, which I did.

I turns out that when I got to the boot menu in the Dell (via F12 during powerup), there were two menu options for booting from the DVD. One was for a Legacy boot and the other was for a UEFI boot. But I had only noticed the UEFI boot so that was what I had used. I should have used the Legacy boot option, and when I did, the installation ran without a hitch.

mikeslr

LinuxMint (Probably Any Major Distro) vs. Puppy

#2956 Post by mikeslr »

Maybe it's what you're used to. But as I've posted several times I have LinuxMint on my computer and almost never boot into it. If you need an application someone hasn't already created for Puppy maybe the package manager of a major distro will make life easier than Puppy Package Manager. [I don't have sufficient experience with scottman's pkg-cli to compare it]. In all other respects, I don't think major distros offer any advantage to newbies.

LinuxMint is a highly rated and unquestionably solid distro which is why I chose it. But yesterday I decided to boot into it and bring it up to speed. It does provide an module notifying you that there are upgrades available. Nice feature. A new, and recommended, kernel upgrade was available. Under Puppies, I can manually change kernels in less than five minutes; and newer Puppies can use an app, LinuxMint took over 20 minutes, during which I sat around twiddling my thumbs as I didn't want to do anything that might interfere with the process. Of course, just in case something went wrong, before doing any upgrade I wanted to 'backup' my functioning system. Under Puppy's modular system changing kernels doesn't alter the rest of your system so a backup isn't necessary. But when a backup is prudent, that means backing up my SaveFile/Folder. Puppies backup applications can do that in a minute or two. LinuxMint has 'time-shift' which, if I understand it correctly, creates an image of your current system. If you haven't done that in a while during which there have been many changes --upgrades to applications or their components, etc.-- expect to twiddle your thumbs for quite a while.

If something went wrong under Puppy, you can boot 'pfix=ram", remove the bk-xxxx ending from the backup-SaveFile's name and reboot into your functioning system. I've yet to figure out what to do with the time-shifts I've created under LinuxMint.

The upgrade manager told me that about 10 other upgrades were available. Then it wasn't able to access the repos which supposedly had them (or the needed components were missing from my default repos). So I had to use synaptic to change my default repos. More time wasted.

Maybe all that is second nature if you're used to how a major distro works. But if your coming from Windows I think learning how to do things under recent Puppies would actually be easier.

Perhaps Puppies only other disadvantage are their use of rox. Rox has some unique ways of managing files. However, AFAIK, xfe can be installed into any Puppy, series 5 or above. It has little overhead and provides a stylish, easily understood file-manager. [Not that there's anything wrong with rox other than its learning curve. It's all I use].

Colonel Panic

#2957 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of Devuan, 2.1. The software is a bit behind the curve (it has LibreOffice 5.2.7.2, for example, and Palemoon needs to be the Debian 9 version in order to be able to install on it), but it still works well.

Devuan 2.1 offers you a choice of init system, either sysvinit or Open RC, when you install it. Worth considering for older computers in particular, or for anyone who wants to avoid using systemd.

[EDIT: one quirk it has though is that when it's booting up, the screen goes blank for at least a minute before displaying the login screen. The first time this happened, I switched the computer off because I was convinced something had gone wrong.]

Colonel Panic

#2958 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another good one for older computers; there's a new beta of the forthcoming edition of ELive, 3.8.1, which is free in the 32-bit version (though you have to wait two hours for a download link, which is emailed to you) and which I'm posting from now. I'm using it live because at the moment I don't have any space left on my hard drive to install it.

It uses the E16 version of Enlightenment for its window manager, and looks good for a distro designed to work on older computers though I had some difficulty getting it to find a suitable driver for my video card and had to make do with the "open" one (which seems to work well enough). There are some random clicks and noises whenever you move the cursor to certain areas of the desktop, which I find a bit disconcerting although there's probably a way to turn them off, and also a puffing sound whenever you click on the menus (which I quite like).

In summary, it's definitely worth a look if you've got an older computer and are willing to try something a bit different; it's clear that a lot of thought, time and effort have gone into it. There is also a 64-bit version, but you need to give a donation to get the download link for that one.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2959 Post by Billtoo »

I've been running PCLinuxOS XFCE4 on my HP desktop pc.

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100T CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory 3898MB (609MB used)
Operating System PCLinuxOS

Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

Version
Kernel Linux 5.4.6-pclos1 (x86_64)
Compiled #1 SMP Sat Dec 21 05:08:30 CST 2019

Updates are available for downloading frequently, latest kernel today.
No problems so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(46.24 KiB) Downloaded 629 times

darry19662018

#2960 Post by darry19662018 »

Welcome back Billtoo - been a while:)
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]