Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Baldronicus

#3031 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi vtpup.

First off, please accept my apologies for any mistakes that might arise in the following. I am usually running on autopilot with a toppled gyro, but I seem to be even worse at the moment.

I realise that you have "given up" on the Linux Mint install, but there are some things that I seem to have to butt in with (apologies for that too if it is not wanted or not of any use).

If I understand correctly the Mint install was intended as a "look and see" type setup, not an on-going, long term arrangement. No desire to install Grub2 to the MBR, as the current Legacy Grub install works with both Win7 and puppies etc. Further, the current Mint installation has not had the Grub2 boot loader installed anywhere? Also, if I understand correctly, the Legacy Grub boot loader is back in a working configuration.

It has been a long while since I have attempted to install Mint. However I do sometimes boot Debian, chain loading Grub2 from either Grub Legacy (either the older or the 2013 version) and Grub4Dos. Thing is, though, that it means that Grub2 has be installed. When using the "legacy (including G4D)" as "lead loader" approach, this means installing Grub2 to the root of a partition. This is something that is not recommended for it, due to the possibility of corruption of the boot loader files (during file system checks ?- not sure) (if I understand correctly). Some installers don't permit it for this reason (perhaps among others). With Debian I often use a separate boot partition in the hope it might help with this, but I don't know if I am deluding myself.

If this does change your thinking with respect to Mint, then I guess the first question would be do you know if the Mint Installer would allow you to install Grub2 to the root of a partition? If not, then this option is probably another no-go in your case.
If it can, then the next question, I guess, is are you prepared to re-install Mint? If not, does someone here know how to install Grub2 to the root of the existing partition? Actually does Mint run as a live DVD, and would that give you an option? Although the installation to the root of the partition might not be the preferred/correct approach it seems to work, and if this is just a short-term thing then maybe it wouldn't be of much concern. (I don't like to write it, but I haven't noticed any issues with the Debian installs).

I am already being overly verbose, but another thought, if you wanted to use the uuid approach (or, not sure if G4D supports labels as well?) might be to install G4D to the root of yet another small, maybe 8MB (probably really doesn't even need to be that large) partition following the Mint one, if you have the space and partition capacity available. I am not positive, but I think if G4D is installed to the root of a partition (not the first one, and maybe not number 10) then it might still search the whole drive. Again, rusty with this and not sure. This probably wouldn't be overly desirable anyway as it would mean a double chain load. (See what I mean about my head? Probably best to ignore this paragraph).

Thanks.

vtpup

#3032 Post by vtpup »

Thanks Baldronicus, and you are spot on re. the steps taken so far and the restoration of the existing system. I mainly decided to quit here because I don't want to co-opt this thread.

But if this discussion is helpful or useful for someone else dealing with problems in side-by side-installation of "Other Distros" then maybe we could continue for a bit re. Grub, Grub2, and Grub4Dos. If there aren't objections?

I had a problem simply adding a new Mint full install to my existing system which included Win7, and multiple frugal Puppies on a legacy Grub controlled start-up process. I'm not sure how I initially got that Grub system set up -- though I'm sure it was through some instructions here on the forum, probably 8 years ago when the computer was new. Racy was the original OS installed.

I should say also that from time to time I have also added (and later removed) "temporary" or "test" full installs of other linux OS's, and they worked with the Grub I had already.

The new Mint install attempt was the exception. I was fooled by the "File Not Found" error wording into thinking that a problem lay in the Grub Mint startup stanza, or in the program links to /boot/ that Mint uses in / for vmlinuz and initrd.img. None of the above were the actual problem.

The problem was that the Grub legacy version I was using could not handle the ext4 filesystem that Mint was installed to. My Grub version only can handle ext2 and ext3. And probably if I had installed Mint to an existing ext3 partition, all would have gone well.

On looking into things more deeply I have discovered that legacy Grub was at some point modified to be able to access ext4. But I don't have that version. I also discovered that Grub4Dos is based on legacy Grub, not Grub2. And the legacy grub it installs, I believe, IS able to access ext4.

However installing Grub4Dos on my system rewrote MBR and temporarily broke Win 7 on this computer (Acer 5349) and forced a recovery mode on Win startup.

I reverted the system, and it is back to how it worked originally.

In answer to your questions yes there is a live Mint ISO and in fact I've used it from USB Thumbdrive. However it's slower than a HD install (USB2 only on this machine) and it doesn't have persistent saves. So every time you use it you have to re-load settings, programs etc.

I did actually try to make a persistent version on thumbdrive with a program called mkusb, but it didn't seem to work to actually make persistent saves.

At about that time I gave up on the Mint on a stick project, and just decided to do a conventional HD install. I still think it would be a cool thing to be able to make a persistent USB version on a thumb drive, and maybe somebody else would be interested in giving it a try with mkusb. Maybe I just didn't know how to make it work.

I also tried doing a conventional install on a second thumb drive while using the live version to do the install. This was very interesting. It actually worked. I had to turn on the boot flag for that thumbdrive's partition (using Gparted) but it booted right up (slowly).

More interesting to me, though was the fact that it's Grub boot screen gave a choice to start my HD's version of Mint. That worked, so I now had a workarond for starting the internal Mint, using the thumbdrive just as a boot stick.

Finally, here is tsome information I have found for using legacy Grub with ext4 -- something I am not capable of yet, but would like to be i if someone else has a path to that capability:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =511121#27

and from Wikipedia:
Google Summer of Code 2008 had a project to support GRUB legacy to boot from ext4 formatted partitions.[28]
My guess is that the version of legacyGrub in Grub4Dos contains this change. I wonder if it is simply an additional driver to the ext2,3 driver -- or a modified version supporting all three?

Well enough for now.....
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

vtpup

#3033 Post by vtpup »

Can someone who has installed a grub4dos system post a list of files sizes and dates in the /mnt/home/boot/grub folder like mine (below)?

Just curious about any dif .....
Attachments
Grub.jpg
(65.52 KiB) Downloaded 594 times

ras

#3034 Post by ras »

Hi vt,

I am guessing that you have collected some extra stuff along the way in your /boot/grub from other installations. It may be hard to separate out the necessary from the unnecessary unless we know which installs you are presently trying to maintain. The same could also be said for any unidentified contents of /boot and /.

with no disrespect to the help you are getting from folks here in "other distros", I think you will find some simple solutions for your needs, perhaps post a query in a section where you may get more exposure.

Users ( For the regulars ) ?

I believe g4d was developed with an eye to make it easy to dual boot with windows, but other alternatives that come to mind, should you not wish to go that route again, are a mint install to a ext2/3 partition? you may have to fiddle with setting some things up manually in the mint installer. I see you have regretted not trying this earlier, so have you ruled out a reinstall of mint?
RAS

Baldronicus

#3035 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi vtpup. I think you have a good point re co-opting the thread, and I apologise for keeping on. Ras has a good point regarding assistance too. Should you decide to open a thread elsewhere would a link in each one, pointing to the other, provide a path for those who might be interested?
I'll try to keep myself in check, even though there is a lot of extraneous stuff I was thinking of writing about.
It is good that you can boot Mint from the live media, and you have a workaround for the current problem.
I think Legacy Grub-2013 might be related to the later Legacy Grub (with ext4 support) that you mentioned. If memory serves correctly, I think rcrsn51 had both put it forward on this forum, and had a thread regarding it (Of course, I can't find the link to it now). I suspect that TahrPup 605 might have it.
Unfortunately, I have a suspicion that there might also be another consideration (maybe it is not applicable in this case). I vaguely recall some discussions about difficulties booting newer ext4 filesystems due to 64 bit extensions being present. It could depend on the formatting used in preparing the partition (?).
I guess using ext3 would avoid the whole potential issue?
I'll try to get a copy of the G4D files you asked about. It took a while, but I guess you obtained the image from a screenshot program?
Thanks.

Edit- I think the term I should have been using above might be Legacy Grub Config 2013.
To keep things as close to default as possible, I tried installing Slacko32- 6.9.9.9 using the Puppy Installer, and the default path to install G4D.
I won't be giving a screenshot of the Grub 4Dos files as I don't think it will help. The following G4D related files are all that loaded in the top level of /mnt/sda1 (i.e. no boot directory etc): grldr (the binary? loader file), menu-advanced.lst, menu.lst and sda_mbr.bak. There were no separate directories for the filesystem type files etc. I suspect they might be incorporated in the grldr file (?).
I also thought I would be clever and tried loading Legacy Grub Config 2013. It sets up a boot directory. However the singular /boot/grub sub-directory only contained menu.lst and stage1 and stage2 files. Again, no individual filesystem related files.
I could have just messed it all up, but I don't think this path will help.
Oh, I forgot to ask before. Do you have a secondary "play" machine that you can try this stuff on, or does your main machine have to wear the risk?
Thanks.

Baldronicus

#3036 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi Nitehawk.

I guess whilst I am running amok, I might as well mention that an install of Debian 10.3 to a HP DC5750 SFF appears to have been successful (well, it comes with the ACPI error advice notifications during boot of course, but it seems to work). It has an AMD processor (the end 50 in the number?).
Although it may not be of much help, I thought I should mention it since it is of a similar age and shape to the dc5800, although the front grille etc is on a long edge rather than a short one.
Thanks.

vtpup

#3037 Post by vtpup »

Just to update you guys:

Yes, yesterday I had already installed Mint (Debian version -- LMDE4 Debbie) to a new ext3 partition sda8, and it worked fine. The working legacy grub stanza was simple and straightorward:

Code: Select all

title Linux Mint
  root (hd0,7)
  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 ro 
  initrd /initrd.img
  boot 
The installer process itself had one major screw-up -- it overwrote MBR and installed Grub2, but I was able to recover my old start up by restoring the MBR. Luckily when I had first tried Grub4Dos, it backed up original MBR in a file: /mnt/sda1/sda_mbr.bak

Using the command

cat /mnt/sda1/sda_mbr.bak > /dev/sda
restored it, and all was well.

Baldronicus, yes this is my main (only) system. But I did image the disk a few days ago onto backup drive using Clonezilla. So I can restore it without much loss. I also had backup copies of boot/grub and mbr, as mentioned. Glad I did!

As to why the screw-up on installation? I had explicitly unchecked "install bootloader" in the Mint installer screens, got to the final sanity check screen, and noticed that it was about to re-format my intended ext3 partition to ext4 again. So I backed up a few screens, and changed that to ext3. Unfortunately the installer had re-checkmarked "install bootloader" automatically, and I didn't notice this before clicking install. Cute.....

Oh well, everything is working now after a few hiccups. Going to do without ext4 for the present. Happier with legacy Grub's simplicity than Grub2.

I did see rcrsn51's Legacy Grub Config 2013 yesterday, but wasn't sure it was applicable -- the mention of not for NTFS was one possible issue?

Baldronicus

#3038 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi vtpup.

Cool. It's good that you have it working, and good that you had the backups.

I hadn't mentioned the following before as you hadn't wanted to install Grub2 to the MBR, and I have only recently started trying it (but it is very nice). Then I got to thinking (always dangerous), and was going to mention it in this next post as it might have been a way to get around all the filesystem stuff.

On page (now 24) of The Debian-Stretch-Live Starter Kit thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112784, rcrsn51 has posted "How to add Puppy/Dog installs to a bigboy Linux setup".

As you have things working and setup it may not be of interest now. But maybe it might be of assistance later?
Thanks. And again, glad all is good.

Edit- As usual I forgot something. Not directly related, but with Debian 10.3 I seem to have to use su -l (or --login) in order to run (at least some) commands. Using just su will let me edit files etc, but not execute commands. From what I understand using the plain su does not set the correct environment/ $PATH variables etc but su -l does. As I think I might have seen something about this on the Devuan site, I thought I should mention it, in case it might also apply to LMDE (although I suppose they would have an advice about it if it does).
Edit- Alternatively, if necessary, maybe try sudo, as per the threads given in Colonel Panic's posts below.
Last edited by Baldronicus on Tue 07 Apr 2020, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#3039 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi Baldronicus,

I've had a similar problem trying to run Softmaker Office in Debian 10 (and some derivatives, such as SolydX) where the application will simply freeze for no apparent reason when I try to do something such as save a file and there's nothing for it but to reboot. Running the same program from the command line with the -debug switch fixes the problem. I don't know if there's a connection with the problem you've just indicated but there might be.

In other news; I've just installed the beta of the upcoming version of Xubuntu (20.04), and it's working well although it doesn't look any different from previous versions of Xubuntu you've probably all seen (though maybe that's a plus). One downside of the new version too is that some of the programs I'm used to being able to install are no longer available (just as they aren't in Debian 10), so it makes more sense for me to use an earlier LTS version such as *16.04 when I want to use Ubuntu.

[EDIT: Another thing I've discovered is that xfburn doesn't work; by the error message's own admission it isn't set up to burn. In which case, what's the point of it?].

*Since Xubuntu LTS is only supported for three years after release as opposed to standard Ubuntu's five years, what I in fact did was install Ubuntu 16.04 and then install XFCE separately.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 05 Apr 2020, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Baldronicus

#3040 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi Colonel Panic,

I don't know that your issue with Softmaker Office would directly relate to the su one (but maybe it could indirectly). The su thing related to running commands as root, setting the correct path etc. so that the commands are found. Theoretically at least, I wouldn't expect that to impact saving files etc., in Softmaker. Although maybe there could have been changes to general users path settings as well? But then, I wouldn't rely on my interpretation :) .
However, if I recall correctly, the release notes mentioned that they are now running AppArmour (?- running off the top of my head, again!) by default. Again, if I recall correctly, the location of a number of the binaries have been moved (maybe to the likes of /usr/sbin instead of /sbin -again off the top of my head). That would, presumably, have the potential to mess up an application if it couldn't find a command it needed to use, I guess (and it is a guess, but I think a reasonable one). I don't know whether that sort of stuff might be affecting things. I think there was also mention of the large number of applications that had been in Debian 9 that had been removed, as you describe.
The release notes were only read to a certain point, not finished, as my eyes started to glaze over :) . I guess I should try to be good and have another go at it. It does seem that there is a lot that is different, particularly in the background. So much so that I think I might stick with Debian 9 for a while for the main stuff and just "play", and wait to see how things go with building my level of confidence with respect to using 10.
It is good that you found a work around for Xubuntu. Nice to have that flexibility.
Thanks.

Colonel Panic

#3041 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi again Baldronicus, thanks for replying. I don't have any other suggestions to make except that a similar thing happened when I tried to install non-free packages in Debian 10 using gdebi. Here's my thread on the Bunsen forums about it, and I would point to post 11 in that thread in particular;

"Thanks John. Sadly it didn't work for me; I got this error message;

dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin"

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6144

Again it seemed to be a PATH issue (though I didn't sort it out that way).

This thread might help as well;

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=918754

If it looks like I don't really know what I'm talking about here, you're right but I'm trying to point you in the direction of people who do know what they're talking about on this subject.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Mike Walsh

#3042 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ vtpup:-

There is, of course, a much simpler solution.....one which will allow you to run Mint from an ext4 partition, and yet still use Grub4DOS in its normal mode of operation.

The approach is known as 'chainloading'. I had the same issue myself, when I wanted to run a 'mainstream' distro from its own, separate partition some time ago.....yet still retain a single, Grub4DOS menu that would boot everything I had on my drive at that time.

You set-up a separate ext4 partition. You install your mainstream distro to that partition, then at the point during the boot process where it asks for the location of the GRUB2 bootloader (where you would like it to be installed to), specify that partition.....not the drive, the partition. This way, GRUB2 will be installed to the PBS, or partition boot-sector.

Then, you add a stanza to your menu.lst file as follows:-

title "Whatever title you want" (sdxx/boot)
  chainloader (hd1)+1
  rootnoverify (hd1)
In the given example, I was chainloading AntiX Linux from Grub4DOS, where AntiX had been installed to a small, 32GB IDE/PATA-interface SSD.....a 'castoff' from ye anciente Dell lappie after installing a larger one, and which was usable in the old Compaq tower because it was built at the time when SATA was just making its presence felt in the market. Many boards manufactured around that time had both IDE and SATA connectors, as did mine.

AFAIK, that code should be modifiable to a partition boot sector, as opposed to a drive boot sector. Remember:-

hd0 is the equivalent to sda
hd1 is the equivalent to sdb
hd2 is the equivalent to sdc

.....and so on. (hd0,0) would be sda1. (hd1,0) would be sdb1.....and (hd1,1) would be sdb2. Rinse & repeat, etc.....

I make absolutely no guarantees, of course, but.....worth a try, perhaps?

See HERE.

Mike. :wink:

wiak

#3043 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote:The approach is known as 'chainloading'. I had the same issue myself, when I wanted to run a 'mainstream' distro from its own, separate partition some time ago.....yet still retain a single, Grub4DOS menu that would boot everything I had on my drive at that time.
That was a nice example/explanation of chain-loading Mike.

wiak

Baldronicus

#3044 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi Colonel Panic.

I must confess my edit in the reply to vtpup was intended as a warning about something I had come across (but my wording was confusing).

Thanks for the info. There is some interesting reading that does clarify things a bit. Although I have to admit that I have been lazy, and not checked the Bunsen thread, nor attempted to further read the Debian release notes, yet.

[Edit- Trust me! I should have read the Bunsen thread that you referenced first. It is good that you found the fix using sudo.].

[Edit- the explanation given at the end of the Debian bugs thread is very interesting and explains things a bit.]

[Edit- I suspect you would have already tried it, but would removing and then re-installing Softmaker Office, using the sudo approach you used for gdebi, work?] I was wondering if Softmaker might have released patches, or updates, that might work with these changes. [Edit- the Debian release notes paragraph regarding AppArmor seems to suggest that similar problems to those you describe might occur with third party applications].

I also forgot to mention that I tried to be clever and set su -l as an alias for su, but I don't think Debian supports the alias command (I couldn't find a man page for it, anyway). Perhaps it also poses a risk. Then again, it could be that I just messed up the syntax etc.. [Edit- And it would probably only work in a specific shell setup, and not be universal, anyway, I guess.].

[Edit-Thanks for your assistance and the additional info. Apologies for the long tome. And for not reading properly first :) .]
Last edited by Baldronicus on Tue 07 Apr 2020, 00:23, edited 4 times in total.

vtpup

#3045 Post by vtpup »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ vtpup:-

There is, of course, a much simpler solution.....one which will allow you to run Mint from an ext4 partition, and yet still use Grub4DOS in its normal mode of operation.........

Mike. :wink:
Thanks Mike for the chainloader explanation. Might try that some day. (I think I've seen the chainloader expression used in the past to boot Windows partitions, btw)

Also, a note of interest about the issue I experienced:

It may be possible that the real problem I had with Grub4Dos was not necessarily the fact that it wrote a new problematic MBR, but that it thought partition 1 was the Windows7 boot partition -- when in reality it is the Acer recovery partition. Win7 main entry is partition3. On booting it may have jumped to part 1 and that may have triggered the recovery screen.

Unfortunately I didn't stick around long enough to investigate just what was going on, and reverted the whole system with the backup MBR.

At this point I have Mint running on ext3 and everything booting as desired, so it may be awhile before I try to get ext4 going again.

Also after many forays into Openshot video editing on Mint LMDE, Bionicpup64, and UpupbBB32, I've returned to Tahrpup32, my old mainstay, as the only one where it works. I actually got both Openshot 2.4.1 and 1.4.3 running on UpupBB after much dependency tweaking, but 2.4.1 crashed on a complex video, and 1.4.3 lost sound halfway through a rendered video.

The same project file on Tahrpup's Openshot 1.4.3 rendered perfectly. So I guess I'm going to be sticking with old technology on this computer.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#3046 Post by Billtoo »

I updated the Manjaro install on my Compaq Presario and switched to the
5.6.3 kernel:

Computer
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory 4030MB (700MB used)
Machine Type Desktop
Operating System Manjaro Linux
Date/Time Sun 12 Apr 2020 05:10:27 PM

Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
Session Display Server The X.Org Foundation 1.20.8

Version
Kernel Linux 5.6.3-2-MANJARO (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 8 20:57:18 UTC 2020
C Library GNU C Library / (GNU libc) 2.31
Distribution Manjaro Linux

Working well so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(22 KiB) Downloaded 1109 times

Baldronicus

#3047 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi vtpup.

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

Thank you for the explanation regarding the attempted Grub4Dos installation. I would imagine that that could very well explain things.

Good that things are set up as you wanted. And yeah, what works is good :) . Thanks.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#3048 Post by Billtoo »

I intalled Manjaro to the hard drive of my HP desktop pc:

Computer
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Memory 8154MB (786MB used)
Machine Type Desktop
Operating System Manjaro Linux
Date/Time Sat 18 Apr 2020 08:25:49 PM

Display
OpenGL Renderer AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.6.5-1-MANJARO, LLVM 9.0.1)
Session Display Server The X.Org Foundation 1.20.8

Version
Kernel Linux 5.6.5-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
Version #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 17 18:26:37 UTC 2020
C Library GNU C Library / (GNU libc) 2.31
Distribution Manjaro Linux

No problems so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(26 KiB) Downloaded 964 times

Colonel Panic

#3049 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of Absolute (released yesterday), which is one of the few distros left which is based on Slackware, and for the most part the things I had to say about it when I used it a couple of years ago are still true now. It has LibreOffice, which I've struggled to run in recent versions of Slackware (although Slackware will install LibreOffice from the Absolute DVD), but for some reason has abandoned Waterfox, which I thought worked very well on it, and gone back to Firefox.

It also doesn't have an e-mail client such as Thunderbird or Claws Mail included as standard, which I think is necessary for a mainstream distro, or a console-based file manager like Midnight Commander.

As before, it has a rather idiosyncratic implementation of IceWM which doesn't allow you to move a window to another workspace by clicking on the title bar (in fact I don't think it even has any other workspaces), and it's also difficult to change IceWM for another window manager if you prefer it. However, the themes supplied have improved somewhat from those previously supplied with the distro and there are a variety of colours available now with them and some good if subtle 3d effects with the toolbars and buttons too.

If you're not happy to stick with IceWM and the default configuration, however, my advice would be to install 64-bit Slackware instead and then grab the extra packages from the Absolute iso or DVD. What I tend to find with this distro is that its rigidity in, for example, only having one workspace available becomes frustrating for me in the end and usually means I don't keep it for very long.

[EDIT 17/05/2020: I have found a way to change the number of workspaces available in Absolute, and other options too if necessary, through the prefoverride file which I got from SUSE and which does what it says it does, i.e. overrides the icewm preferences file.]
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 17 May 2020, 15:19, edited 3 times in total.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#3050 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Xubuntu 20.04 beta to the hard drive of my HP desktop:

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100T CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory 3888MB (750MB used)
Machine Type Desktop
Operating System Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Date/Time Tue 21 Apr 2020 07:19:09 PM

Display
OpenGL Renderer Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (SKL GT2)
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 5.4.0-26-generic (x86_64)
Version #30-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 20 16:58:30 UTC 2020
C Library GNU C Library / (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.31-0ubuntu9) 2.31
Distribution Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP XFCE
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP xubuntu

I haven't tested much yet but runs okay so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(18.3 KiB) Downloaded 848 times