Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Eldon

#601 Post by Eldon »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
NTFS is just M$`s attempt to obfuscate and maintain proprietary control...
Fat 32 is an acceptable FS.. But a journaled FS like ext3 is far superiour..
Unless you're using a flash drive, in which case the journaled file system will add more read/write cycles to it, reducing it's life span.

nooby

#602 Post by nooby »

As I get it then
for Flash memories the Ext2 is the best choice for linux?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#603 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and info concerning file systems. I think I'll try EX2IFS and see how it works out.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#604 Post by Colonel Panic »

KDE 4.8 seems buggy to me. I tried it out on a couple of distros which had it (Mepis and Slack 14 Beta) and in each case Konqueror crashed on a link which didn’t give me any trouble in a mainstream browser.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

linuxbear

#605 Post by linuxbear »

nooby wrote:As I get it then
for Flash memories the Ext2 is the best choice for linux?
Ext2 is also the best choice for solid State Disk

alphadog

Damn Small is back!!

#606 Post by alphadog »

Distrowatch have announced a rc for DSL 4.11 see here -http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=damnsmall.
Download here-http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 11.rc1.iso.
md5sum: ca1b7a3199d6f143818aab1e73478cac dsl-4.11.rc1.iso
Have tried it as a live cd and it looks pretty good to me
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

starhawk

#607 Post by starhawk »

DSL? I thought they were dead for good. Wow.

Even though I really hate the look, I'll give the new one a chance. Downloading now.

@alphadog: just a little tip... when you plunk down a link in a post, after copying it, highlight the whole link and click the little formatting button that says "URL". That way we can click on it and have it actually go somewhere, rather than having to copy/paste into a new browser tab or window. Not stop-the-presses critical necessarily, just something to remember for next time.

alphadog

#608 Post by alphadog »

Cheers Starhawk I always wondered how you did that!

nooby

#609 Post by nooby »

What code did you use for to make it boot on NTFS? :)

I totally fail to boot it. First it looks for USB and fail
due to me on HD instead. So I added nousb to kernel line
but that did not help.

It fails to find the knoppix.
Maybe due to it two layers deep?
But where should I put the real knoppix
then.

DSL assume that one don't have big Knoppix installed.
Such is rude behavior in my world. I will test renaming
knoppix to bigknoppix and see what happens

title dsl
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/dsl/boot/isolinux/linux24 fromhd=/dev/sda2 knoppix_dir=dsl/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nousb nomce noapic BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX
initrd (hd0,1)/dsl/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz

Can't find knoppix it says. should this one maybe looks like this?
knoppix_dir=/dsl/KNOPPIX or have dev or something or sda2?

I am Knoppix now and that one boot using this

title Knoppix 7.0.3 dvd ISO savedefault? sv.default_utf8=0 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/knoppix7/boot/isolinux/linux fromhd=/dev/sda2 knoppix_dir=knoppix7/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 apm=power-off vga=791 nomce loglevel=0 lang=en xkeyboard=se
xkeyboard=us
initrd (hd0,1)/knoppix7/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
savedefault
boot
Can anyone suggest something :)

These guys fails too.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175414957/
http://damnsmalllinux.org/forums/index.php?topic=5.0

lowrider

#610 Post by lowrider »

corenominal the leader of the fantastic crunchbang aka #! linux has just released another testing image based on the upcoming debian stable (wheezy). it comes in 32 and 64 flavor with PAE and non-PAE kernel to suit even older hardware. Downloading and seeding right now.
If you wanna try (you should!) here is the link: http://crunchbang.org/download/testing
Last edited by lowrider on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

alphadog

#611 Post by alphadog »

@ Nooby ,if you read my post correctly I just used it as a "live" cd .I did not install DSL anywhere.
Sorry can't help more.

nooby

#612 Post by nooby »

Thanks Alpha

Ray MK

#613 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

My daughter bought me a copy of Linux User & Developer recently (issue 115) and on the cover was a dvd containing some Demo's - of the 4 that were available only 2 booted.

Mint 13 and Fedora 17. Very pleasantly surprised - especially with Fedora 17.
Very intuitive - although not much software included. Basically, very nice to use and very easy to setup (wifi etc).

An excellent example of what a noob linux user would probably wish/want for, to start using linux - full time.

Sadly, a fairly modern-ish laptop / desktop / or other contraption with a gig or 2 of ram minimum, is almost certainly needed.

On my daughter's 1yr old Emachines E732 laptop with 2gig of ram - it flies.

Still - so far - at least for me - nothing beats Puppy.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Colonel Panic

#614 Post by Colonel Panic »

Ray MK wrote:Hi

My daughter bought me a copy of Linux User & Developer recently (issue 115) and on the cover was a dvd containing some Demo's - of the 4 that were available only 2 booted.

Very intuitive - although not much software included. Basically, very nice to use and very easy to setup (wifi etc).

An excellent example of what a noob linux user would probably wish/want for, to start using linux - full time.

Sadly, a fairly modern-ish laptop / desktop / or other contraption with a gig or 2 of ram minimum, is almost certainly needed.

Very best regards - Ray
Hi Ray,

If Mint and Fedora are too heavy on resources for you, you could try the latest version of CrunchBang, which I've just installed and works well. Quite a dark default theme though, although there's probably a way to change it.

I've also recently installed the latest version of Absolute Linux (13.53). which is an excellent Slackware derivative based on IceWM and with Chromium as the default browser.

You've got to like IceWM to be happy using Absolute though as I've tried and failed to install FVWM on it. Nevertheless, for a lot of people with old computers and some Linux knowledge (it's not a beginners' distribution as far as I can tell) it could be the answer.

Ray MK

#615 Post by Ray MK »

Colonel Panic

Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look as IceWM is light enough - although I prefer XFCE (LXDE is ok too).

Have you tried the XFCE and LXDE versions of slacko, racy and wary that Jely69 made.
They are all very good.
And - Jemimah's Saluki - is outstanding.

The DVD that had the Fedora demo also has a Distro Directory - and they have provided a link to our Puppy websites.

Thanks again - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

nitehawk

#616 Post by nitehawk »

I tried using Mageia 2 for awhile. It's really nice, easy to set up dialup,..great artwork,..lots of software on the DVD. But I guess I'm just a little too spoiled to Slackware XFCE/Fluxbox,...and Puppy.

Slackware with its "K.I.S.S" philosophy,...and Puppy with so much crammed into such a small space. So as nice as Mageia is,....I just find myself using Puppies more and more (when I'm not Slacking).

EDIT: my main P4 is down right now,..waiting for another MOBO coming via snail-mail. Has those famous "bulging capacitors" that Dell Optiplex GX270's are noted to develop.
It's happily running a 40G hd right now with Racy Puppy....until I get the new MOBO and put it in (then I can return to the 160G hd). It will still have a Puppy on it, though.

sullysat

#617 Post by sullysat »

Ray MK wrote:Hi

Very best regards - Ray
As much as I love Puppy, my main machines (which I run my business with) are all three Fedora boxes (16 and 17). One gig of ram is all they need to really fly, but I have one machine running 512 MB and it runs well there too.

The biggest issue, really, is the Windows manager. Gnome 3 requires a 3D capable video card, so I run XFCE on the 512 box and it flies too.
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

Ray MK

#618 Post by Ray MK »

Hi sullysat

That's good to know - so Fedora 16/17 with XFCE might be a reasonable choice for my EeePc 701SD which has 512mb ram and a celeron proc.

I must say I was very surprised at how usable Fedora 17 was.

I shall have a look and see if there is an XFCE version.

Thank's for the info and very best regards - Ray

Colonel Panic

#619 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:I tried using Mageia 2 for awhile. It's really nice, easy to set up dialup,..great artwork,..lots of software on the DVD. But I guess I'm just a little too spoiled to Slackware XFCE/Fluxbox,...and Puppy.
Yeah, I've seen good things said about Mageia. The trouble is that whenever I've tried to install any Red Hat-based distro to my hard drive, I've ended up with those ridiculous LVM's scattered all over the drive and it's trashed what was on there before. I think you either need to know what you're doing when you install it or install it to a clean hard drive.
nitehawk wrote:Slackware with its "K.I.S.S" philosophy,...and Puppy with so much crammed into such a small space. So as nice as Mageia is,....I just find myself using Puppies more and more (when I'm not Slacking).
Agreed, the two problems I have with Slack-based distros as opposed to Debian-based ones are; 1/ package management isn't as good as it is for Debian-based ones, because there isn't the same dedication to dependency tracking, and 2 / hot plugging doesn't seem to work as well as it does for Ubuntu, Solus, Mint etc.

There are ways round both of those problems - you can use the Slack builds for package management, and mount USB drives manually and the same with DVDs if you know what the driver for them is in the /dev subdirectory, but I'd rather they weren't necessary.

I find I'm using the bigger Puppies now (the ones I struggled to run on my old Compaq, with its 512 MB of RAM, work just fine in 2 GB) and also the 64-bit ones.
nitehawk wrote:EDIT: my main P4 is down right now,..waiting for another MOBO coming via snail-mail. Has those famous "bulging capacitors" that Dell Optiplex GX270's are noted to develop.
Oh boy, I've got a GX620; hope it doesn't develop the same fault as your Dell :( Hope your new motherboard arrives soon.
nitehawk wrote:It's happily running a 40G hd right now with Racy Puppy....until I get the new MOBO and put it in (then I can return to the 160G hd). It will still have a Puppy on it, though.
Great! Racy (and Wary to which it's related) are good Puppies IMO.

Best wishes,

CP .

Colonel Panic

#620 Post by Colonel Panic »

Ray MK wrote:Colonel Panic

Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look as IceWM is light enough - although I prefer XFCE (LXDE is ok too).

Have you tried the XFCE and LXDE versions of slacko, racy and wary that Jely69 made.
They are all very good.
And - Jemimah's Saluki - is outstanding.

The DVD that had the Fedora demo also has a Distro Directory - and they have provided a link to our Puppy websites.

Thanks again - very best regards - Ray
Hi Ray, thanks for the advice here. I tried Saluki on my old machine but couldn't get Flash to work (as I mentioned on the Saluki thread); it may be different with the new machine though. Thanks for the advice concerning Jely69's derivatives too, but my next Puppy will probably be one of the big ones; either 64-bit Lighthouse or the Toowoomba Ultimate Pup.

Best,

CP .