Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nitehawk

#661 Post by nitehawk »

James C wrote:Latest DSL 4.11rc......... still great on older hardware.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
Hey,..
that really does look nice, don't it? Very different than what DSL used to look like. But I just now put Racy Puppy (dual-booted with w2k Pro Lite) on my old computer .....HP Vectra HP--PIII--933Mhz--512mb ram--20G & 40G hd(s).

I was very surprised at how well Racy Puppy worked on this old machine.....so guess I won't need to try DSL on it. BTW,..it continuouly never stops amazing me at how well these older (but goodie) computers still work so well with the right operating systems. And to think that folks actually just dump them into the garbage to run and buy the latest and greatest. What a waste,...eh?

PS: I slapped on an old CD of "Ace of BASE" and Puppy was tearing it up big time (I mean in a VERY good way). So let all the rest of the folks run to spend their hard-earned cash to buy the latest and greatest,..............when some of us can slap on a Puppy and do it all anyhow. (and all on a tiny "shoestring" budget.).

nooby

#662 Post by nooby »

James C wrote:
Latest DSL 4.11rc......... still great on older hardware.
I tried to boot DSL using same code as I boot
Knoppix but it failed to boot on NTFS inner HD.

Maybe it only boot from CD or USB?
What code should one use grub4dos? menu.lst

is this one okay?

title dsl
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/dsl/boot/isolinux/linux24 fromhd=/dev/sda2 knoppix_dir=dsl/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 apm=power-off vga=791 nousb nomce loglevel=0
xkeyboard=us
initrd (hd0,1)/dsl/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
savedefault
boot

What should I take out of add to it?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

d4p

#663 Post by d4p »

Hi jake,
I just moved the android LiveOS files to ext3 partition. I dont see at the moment any differences to run android from NTFS or EXT3-partition.
Are you talking about android in full install or frugal install?
I think full install android is not portable.

DSl doesnt support NTFS.

jakfish

#664 Post by jakfish »

hi, d4p,

Initially, what I did was do a full install to an empty usb stick, ext2-formatted.

Then I moved the directory called android-4.0-rc2 to my c: drive (ssd). I left the other files on the usb, and I think I played with grub or menu.lst so it would find the new directory on the ntfs drive, but it may have found it on its own upon boot--can't remember. As you know, boot searches the android-4.0-rc2 directory and grabs the first one it finds.

It'll work, and it's certainly faster than the live deal or from the full-install usb.

But I lost root, which meant no cpu overclocking, system file stuff, etc.

So I did a full install on a class 10 sd card, ext2-formatted. That flies, it's anedotally as fast as an NTFS install.

Jake

Colonel Panic

#665 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
James C wrote:Latest DSL 4.11rc......... still great on older hardware.
Hey,..
that really does look nice, don't it? Very different than what DSL used to look like. But I just now put Racy Puppy (dual-booted with w2k Pro Lite) on my old computer .....HP Vectra HP--PIII--933Mhz--512mb ram--20G & 40G hd(s).

I was very surprised at how well Racy Puppy worked on this old machine.....so guess I won't need to try DSL on it. BTW,..it continuously never stops amazing me at how well these older (but goodie) computers still work so well with the right operating systems. And to think that folks actually just dump them into the garbage to run and buy the latest and greatest. What a waste,...eh?

PS: I slapped on an old CD of "Ace of BASE" and Puppy was tearing it up big time (I mean in a VERY good way). So let all the rest of the folks run to spend their hard-earned cash to buy the latest and greatest,..............when some of us can slap on a Puppy and do it all anyhow. (and all on a tiny "shoestring" budget.).
That's brilliant! Racy is supposedly for newer computers only but I found it worked just fine on my 11 year old Compaq.

As you say, why buy new hardware when the old works just fine with Puppy?

- CP

P.S. Have to admit I;m not familiar with "Ace of Base" but will check it out soon :)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#666 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote: Have to admit I;m not familiar with "Ace of Base" but will check it out soon :)
Heehee,...
they actually are an OLD group (if you are a youngster),...from the '90s. They were from Sweden,..and modeled their music somewhat on the '70s group ABBA (which I also still like). Showing my age.

I like to use "Ace of Base" when trying out a distro's sound system. Puppy passes with flying marks,...er,..I mean "barks".

d4p

#667 Post by d4p »

Thanks Jake,

How to full install Android directly on USB over Virtualbox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzWeyWa4jFo

Colonel Panic

#668 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote: Have to admit I;m not familiar with "Ace of Base" but will check it out soon :)
Heehee,...
they actually are an OLD group (if you are a youngster),...from the '90s. They were from Sweden,..and modeled their music somewhat on the '70s group ABBA (which I also still like). Showing my age.

I like to use "Ace of Base" when trying out a distro's sound system. Puppy passes with flying marks,...er,..I mean "barks".
LOL Not that young - I'm old enough to remember someone who died last week, Neil Armstrong, and his moonwalk in 1969. An awesome spectacle and achievement and I doubt I'll ever see anything like it on TV again.

I'm more likely to play something by Led Zeppelin for the same purpose, like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzB_aXFaUc

Or this track, by Dave Edmunds (a Welsh rock and roll guitarist and singer whom I like a lot);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD77pgC2 ... ure=relmfu
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

gcmartin

WEBOS - Are you aware of it and what it does.

#669 Post by gcmartin »

Moved to here

The ONLY true multi-tasking mobile OS getting a new chance for all to use.

FYI

rokytnji

IBM M41 Desktop

#670 Post by rokytnji »

AntiX 12 mutibootingMacpup 529and Semplicealso.

Code: Select all

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.5.0-antix.1-486-smp
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-antix.1-486-smp root=UUID=009157e5-dcf1-465a-ae33-6fb9cf5c3b38 ro 
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-antix.1-486-smp

title Semplice GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-486
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
chainloader +1                ####### <<<<<<<<<that is grub 2#########

title Puppy Linux 529 frugal in sdb1 dir macpup529frugal
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
kernel /macpup529frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=macpup529frugal
initrd /macpup529frugal/initrd.gz

Attachments
screenshot-thumb.jpg
(40.14 KiB) Downloaded 981 times

Aitch

#671 Post by Aitch »

Hey CP
aside/
Here's a great track I found following your links, wonderful stuff....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Rx-zaB ... re=related

Aitch :)

nooby

#672 Post by nooby »

rokytnji thanks for sharing your set up there.

just me curious no criticism at all. is that on ext2 or something linux
and not on NTFS? Would it boot and work on NTFS?

Colonel Panic

#673 Post by Colonel Panic »

Aitch wrote:Hey CP
aside/
Here's a great track I found following your links, wonderful stuff....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Rx-zaB ... re=related

Aitch :)
Thanks for that one.

I'm listening to *Radio 4 as I type this and as you probably know the Paralympics are on so there's a lot of media focus on people with disabilities right now.

At the moment they're featuring a guy who was born with no arms and yet he plays guitar with his feet and sings. Amazing, you'd never think to hear him he was any different from a normal guitarist. Very positive and humourous person too.

*BBC, for the non-Brits here.

Colonel Panic

#674 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed Mint 13 XFce; it's boring to keep praising Mint, but I will. It's very good as usual and merits a recommendation.

I'm also trying Pinguy 12.04; it's got lots of icons which enlarge as you move the cursor over them in the Mac mode, which you either like or you don't (most people do it seems but I find them a bit disconcerting). It has constantly changing wallpapers though, which is cool, and a very comprehensive Conky display on the right of the screen.

If you're going to try this one, I think you need a good size monitor (17" minimum, but preferably 19" or more), because of the amount of screen estate it demands, and at least 1 GB of RAM (though maybe 2 GB to be on the safe side). I couldn't run it at all when I had only 512 MB of RAM on my old machine.

rokytnji

#675 Post by rokytnji »

nooby wrote:rokytnji thanks for sharing your set up there.

just me curious no criticism at all. is that on ext2 or something linux
and not on NTFS? Would it boot and work on NTFS?
You'll notice there is no Windows entry in the grub menu I posted. Both IDE Hard Drives are Ext3 and /swap file systems. As far as Booting and Working on NTFS. You are the expert. :) No NTFS on this box. Here is Semplice Linux which is based on Debian Unstable. It uses Open Box and Tint2 Panel.

http://i49.tinypic.com/33a8936.jpg

nooby

#676 Post by nooby »

thanks

paokman

#677 Post by paokman »

I installed Debian 6.0.5 to be my second distro alongside Puppy 5.3.3.
I've been playing around with it for some days and it seems to have the same problem as all the Linux distros I've ever tried. It doesn't have the proper (? )OpenGL drivers for my Ati Radeon Xpress 1100 (it's a laptop chipset on my ACER TravelMate 5511 AWLMi)...
I think it's either a kernel issue or a mesa driver problem... I can't find a solution...

starhawk

Re: Android x-86 Port

#678 Post by starhawk »

jakfish wrote:Over at Google Groups, very clever people have ported Ice Cream Sandwich to x-86 platforms. From the generic port, there are offshoots specific to a variety of netbooks (the Asus EEE, others including my machine, the Lenovo S10-3t).

<snip>
I'm actually downloading this now... specifically the ISO for ASUS Eee PCs. Mine is a 1000HEB... fun fact, the first non-Windows OS ever to run on it was Jemimah's Puppeee. (A pity I didn't save it -- it was rather fun the first time around!) Alas, no idea of /which/ Pupeee/Puppeee it was (I've heard that there are two different versions, with two different spellings).

...James C, you still haven't told me what that wallpaper is in DSL :? I did ask about that!

ally

#679 Post by ally »

@starhawk

the puppeee downloads are still available here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/Pu ... uppeee1.0/

i've only recently discovered the eee and have tried quite a few disto's and think puppeee1.0 is the best by far....

:)

James C

Re: Android x-86 Port

#680 Post by James C »

starhawk wrote: ...James C, you still haven't told me what that wallpaper is in DSL :? I did ask about that!
You mean this one?It's attached....
Attachments
dsl wallpaper.tar.gz
(69.72 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Maintenance_by_bigg16_small.jpg
(70.09 KiB) Downloaded 738 times