Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bark_bark_bark

#781 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am running Slackware 14.0 right now. I compiled (through SlackBuilds) openbox, and now I run Openbox as the WM for KDE. Openbox's Onyx theme goes well with the a KDE theme I am using. Openbox IS my favorite WM.

EDIT: Swapped Slackware for Zenwalk

Colonel Panic

#782 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm also running Slack 14, which I've just installed (RC5, I don't have the full version). It's not bad except that KDE still seems to have bugs (Dolphin wouldn't let me set up a folder to unzip Opera into, for example) and you have to do more yourself to set it up than with something like Mint, which for some people is its attraction; it's like a manual gearbox on a car rather than an automatic.

It offers other options for the window manager though.

I also managed to install OpenSUSE 12.2 but sadly the internet connection failed and I couldn't get it started again. I'm going to have a look to see if I can sort it out but most likely I'll install something else in there.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#783 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS on my Acer Aspire One
netbook.
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Memory 1792MB (599MB used)
Operating System Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
User Name bill (bill)
Date/Time Mon 05 Nov 2012 03:15:36 AM EST
Display
Resolution 1024x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
Version 3.3.11627 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes
bill@bill-Aspire-One-721:~$ glxgears
4720 frames in 5.0 seconds = 943.960 FPS
4998 frames in 5.0 seconds = 999.043 FPS
4976 frames in 5.0 seconds = 994.742 FPS
bill@bill-Aspire-One-721:~$

It's working very well on this netbook, the 11.6" screen helps.
Suspend works too.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(62.8 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times

bark_bark_bark

#784 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I thin kI am going back to using slackware 14 instead on zenwalk. Slackware 14 is compatible with my wireless device, where zenwalk isn't.

Also Installed Ubuntu 12.04.1, but did a cli install then did:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop xfce4 firefox thunderbird synaptic ubuntu-restricted-extras
I had to get the restricted extras because flash was not natively installed.

Colonel Panic

#785 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest release candidate of Salix 14 (XFCE). It's early days yet but it looks sound so far.

(Oh, and I've used the xfs filesystem to do so).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

bark_bark_bark

#786 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I have installed Arch Linux today, and i find that it was difficult to install at first, but became easy to use. My DE is lxde, and I have set lxdm (lxde's login manager) to start at start up. I use firefox as the web browser. As a side file manager I installed SpaceFM, if PCManFM bores me. I installed gtk-engines for some themes (I love clearlooks). And that is almost it.

gcmartin

#787 Post by gcmartin »

A Linux distro that is a GAME? Is that what this is?

Help from anyone who is familiar. This could become a Linux PS3/Xbox game console....right?

Here to help

bark_bark_bark

#788 Post by bark_bark_bark »

gcmartin wrote:A Linux distro that is a GAME? Is that what this is?

Help from anyone who is familiar. This could become a Linux PS3/Xbox game console....right?

Here to help
Steam is an online video game store currently available for Windows and Macs. So no, it is not a linux distro. I have a steam account myself.

nooby

#789 Post by nooby »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I have installed Arch Linux today, and i find that it was difficult to install at first, but became easy to use. My DE is lxde, and I have set lxdm (lxde's login manager) to start at start up. I use firefox as the web browser. As a side file manager I installed SpaceFM, if PCManFM bores me. I installed gtk-engines for some themes (I love clearlooks). And that is almost it.
Hi Bark, I am not into full installs so I can not do Arch at all.
But you being interested in Arch maybe would want to follow
this variation of Arch?

http://www.maui-project.org/en/about/maui/
Maui is an innovative Linux distribution currently in development
that specifically targets personal computing.

Maui is a fast, efficient, simple to use, easy to learn and yet powerful
system for computer users of all levels.

Hawaii, the desktop environment, is a lightweight, coherent and fast
desktop environment that relies on Qt 5, QtQuick and Wayland and
is designed to offer the best UX for the device where it is running.

Maui doesn't have the traditional packages, it offers an innovative update system with point in time recovery and lower bandwidth usage; applications are shipped as bundles (compressed images that don't need to be decompressed).
It is under construction but could be cool to follow the development of it?
They aim at to boot it at around 4 seconds.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

bark_bark_bark

#790 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Hello nooby, My only problem with that Arch-based project is that it uses wayland instead of Xorg.

But now with my Arch setup, I am trying to mimic a Puppy Desktop, I run...

IceWM - As the Window Manager
ROX - as the desktop

and I want to add drive icons.

Colonel Panic

#791 Post by Colonel Panic »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Hello nooby, My only problem with that Arch-based project is that it uses wayland instead of Xorg.

But now with my Arch setup, I am trying to mimic a Puppy Desktop, I run...

IceWM - As the Window Manager
ROX - as the desktop

and I want to add drive icons.
That's good.

I've just downloaded the testing version of Mint 14 (Mate) and I know I've said this before (probably plenty of times) but so far it looks good. No surprises; just the usual, subdued and yet very pleasant styling Mint is noted for.

nooby

#792 Post by nooby »

Interesting. The only Arch that I've been able to boot frugally
where an Italian guy but his computer broke down and he lost
all his Arch files and he gave up on further dev of his version of Arch.

He later got a gift from one of his many readers giving him a laptop
but unfortunately not hard ware enough so he changed over to the
French Distro instead.

Use the google search in my signature and try to find each Arch post
in the Puppy forum to find others interested in Arch and you guys
can start a thread sharing ideas like the Slacko or other devs do
could be fun to share what you see as possible to get going.

I 'm too noob to be involved.

the Italian guy I used this to boot it

title Archiso-live
root (hd0,1)
kernel /archiso/boot/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda2/archiso rw elevator=deadline load=overlay session=xfce
initrd /archiso/boot/initrd.img

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso-live

Godane's Development Blog
godane.wordpress.com/ - Översätt den här sidan
23 Jun 2012 – I sadly don't have time for archiso-live anymore. I also know i can never make archlinux source iso since it would be like about or over 25gb.

so he lost all of his dev things there sad. You can download his iso
hopefully and take it apart and learn from things he did?

Colonel Panic

#793 Post by Colonel Panic »

Isn't ConnochaetOS (an update on the Deli distro for old computers) based on Arch and Icewm nowadays? I used to run it on my old computer but I came to find it a bit limited for what I wanted to do with my machine; I couldn't install Osmo on it, for a start.

James C

#794 Post by James C »

Colonel Panic wrote:
James C wrote:Recently installed Absolute 14.0 on an old P3.
http://www.absolutelinux.org/

Based on the latest Slackware 14...... kernel 3.2.29. Not bad on this old slow machine.And allows running as root too. :)
Yeah, Absolute is a good Slack-based distro, and I really like the games on it (Anagramarama, Concentration and Icebreaker). I wish other distros had those even in the repos.

Has it got package management yet though? In the earlier version of Absolute I tried, you pretty much had to install packages from source and work out the dependencies yourself (the main bugbear with Slackware and its derivatives)
It appears that package management/dependencies is still a work in progress in Absolute.Compiling was a bit slow on that old P3...... :lol:

James C

#795 Post by James C »

Colonel Panic wrote:Isn't ConnochaetOS (an update on the Deli distro for old computers) based on Arch and Icewm nowadays?
Believe you are right again..... :)
http://www.connochaetos.org/

nooby

#796 Post by nooby »

Can ConnochaetOS be installed frugal or
does it have to be full install?

Godano made it possible for frugal.
Sad that he lost all of his code due to no backup.

bark_bark_bark

#797 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I installed slackware 14, but so far no luck to getting it to boot. I am probably going to wait until slacko 5.4 stable before adding it to my multiboot usb drive to get slackware to boot. I am not really in a rush to boot into it.

Colonel Panic

#798 Post by Colonel Panic »

nooby wrote:Can ConnochaetOS be installed frugal or
does it have to be full install?

Godano made it possible for frugal.
Sad that he lost all of his code due to no backup.
I think it has to be a full install, but I'm not sure - the ConnochaetOS forum is probably the best place to ask.

A quick update; just tested the alpha release of AntiX 12.5, and it's looking good, as is the latest release of Absolute except for the lack of package / dependency handling - a common fault with Slack-based distros but one Salix has managed to overcome (and I think Zenwalk too).

Monsie

Other Distros

#799 Post by Monsie »

I see that the fourth Alpha release of Haiku is out today... and over 1000 bugs have been fixed since Alpha release three. Supposedly, it is a stable enough platform now for third party developers.

Apparently, it will run on as little as 128 mb of ram... and has been tested on a Pentium ll @400mhz --sound familiar? :wink:

Has anyone besides sneekylinux had a go at trying this distro? Colonel Panic?

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Colonel Panic

Re: Other Distros

#800 Post by Colonel Panic »

Monsie wrote:I see that the fourth Alpha release of Haiku is out today... and over 1000 bugs have been fixed since Alpha release three. Supposedly, it is a stable enough platform now for third party developers.

Apparently, it will run on as little as 128 mb of ram... and has been tested on a Pentium ll @400mhz --sound familiar? :wink:

Has anyone besides sneekylinux had a go at trying this distro? Colonel Panic?

Monsie
Hi,

No, I'm still using Mint, which looks pretty good right now. I may consider Haiku in the future though.