Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
puppy_apprentice

#856 Post by puppy_apprentice »

@nooby

"So why this instead of Proteus Linux which is the community
version of Slax?"

if you are a curious person u will try them all ;p

and i'm testing Polish version of SLAX and have Polish letters, did u tested Swedish one?

nooby

#857 Post by nooby »

D4P much appreciated you did that one.

So Porteus does not allow root?
That surprises I've been active on their forum
some year ago but don't remember details.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#858 Post by James C »

nooby wrote: So Porteus does not allow root?
Several months ago you were running Porteus as root.......see here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 564#604564

The stuff on that entire page should still work.

nooby

#859 Post by nooby »

Thanks, that is why I felt surprised then.
So maybe something in the set up at D4P
trigger taht it goes into some Live User default?

d4p

#860 Post by d4p »

@Nooby

No root access, maybe frugal install & persistent on NTFS?
or maybe I dont know how to get root?
Attachments
porteus-noroot.png
(94.41 KiB) Downloaded 810 times

d4p

#861 Post by d4p »

4m-linux is only 40 Mb.
The supported filesystems are: btrfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, FAT, HFS,
HFS+, jfs, Minix, NTFS, ReiserFS, and XFS.
http://4mlinux.com/news.html

Colonel Panic

#862 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just installed WattOS 6, a Ubuntu variant designed for older computers.

I'm impressed for the most part as it looks good and does everything I really need, but unfortunately some of the packages are broken (a common problem with ubuntu-based distros once the version of Ubuntu they're based on gets superseded) so I can't get midnight commander or conky working.

For that reason it's unlikely to be a long term keeper but WattOS 7 will be out Feb or March with any luck. It deserves to succeed if it helps to keep a lot of old machines out of landfill (as does Puppy of course).

BTW, I'm playing Focus's 1974 album "Hamburger Concerto" on Youtube as I type this - great music.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

starhawk

#863 Post by starhawk »

Heh, WattOS. WattOS is at least partially responsible for introducing me to Puppy. I know I've told this tale before, but I like to tell it, so you folks get to hear a repeat :P

"A long time ago, on another forum, far, far away" (sorry, George, couldn't resist...) I was turning a thin client into a PC. I needed a lightweight OS because the thin client was older and the hardware specs deplorable at best. (Even brand-new thin clients are generally extraordinarily weak, compared to even most of the stuff that runs Puppy. It's by design -- they do as much as they have to, and not one bit more.) I knew Windows wasn't going to cut it, and I didn't see Ubuntu or any of its variants being nearly light enough. I'd only had experience with that one distro, but I knew there were TONS more.

So I did some asking, and some looking, and I found WattOS and a lot of people recommending this thing called Puppy Linux. I never heard of either one, and the forum had never heard of WattOS (IIRC it was brand new at the time).

I decided to give WattOS a chance first. (To this day, I've no idea why!) So I posted on WattOS' forums, "hey, I need to run a distro off a CF card on a thin client with mondo low specs, can WattOS do that?" Well, OK, the post was a lot more detailed, but that's the essence of it. A week went by and no reply -- so I posted again, spelling out for them in quite thorough detail exactly how much they had to learn about tech support and all that. I'd honestly like to think they've learned (I suspect they have, if they're up to version 6!), but I've never been back to find out.

...to make a long story, well, a little less long (!) ... I put up a post here on this very forum [EDIT: this thread right here] asking if Puppy could do what I want. Boom! Answer within an hour, and if I remember correctly, it was within a half-hour. Either way, it was along the lines of "heck yeah, we can do that!"...

...and the rest, as they say, was history.

Just curious, Colonel... how fast is WattOS compared to, say, Puplite5 or Akita? (A very slightly modified Puplite5 is what went on that thin client!) I imagine, being an Ubuntu derivative, WattOS winds up carrying at least a good percentage of the same bloat... and therefore is far more slow and pudgy than it needs to be.

Colonel Panic

#864 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:Heh, WattOS. WattOS is at least partially responsible for introducing me to Puppy. I know I've told this tale before, but I like to tell it, so you folks get to hear a repeat :P

"A long time ago, on another forum, far, far away" (sorry, George, couldn't resist...) I was turning a thin client into a PC. I needed a lightweight OS because the thin client was older and the hardware specs deplorable at best. (Even brand-new thin clients are generally extraordinarily weak, compared to even most of the stuff that runs Puppy. It's by design -- they do as much as they have to, and not one bit more.) I knew Windows wasn't going to cut it, and I didn't see Ubuntu or any of its variants being nearly light enough. I'd only had experience with that one distro, but I knew there were TONS more.

So I did some asking, and some looking, and I found WattOS and a lot of people recommending this thing called Puppy Linux. I never heard of either one, and the forum had never heard of WattOS (IIRC it was brand new at the time).

I decided to give WattOS a chance first. (To this day, I've no idea why!) So I posted on WattOS' forums, "hey, I need to run a distro off a CF card on a thin client with mondo low specs, can WattOS do that?" Well, OK, the post was a lot more detailed, but that's the essence of it. A week went by and no reply -- so I posted again, spelling out for them in quite thorough detail exactly how much they had to learn about tech support and all that. I'd honestly like to think they've learned (I suspect they have, if they're up to version 6!), but I've never been back to find out.

...to make a long story, well, a little less long (!) ... I put up a post here on this very forum [EDIT: this thread right here] asking if Puppy could do what I want. Boom! Answer within an hour, and if I remember correctly, it was within a half-hour. Either way, it was along the lines of "heck yeah, we can do that!"...

...and the rest, as they say, was history.

Just curious, Colonel... how fast is WattOS compared to, say, Puplite5 or Akita? (A very slightly modified Puplite5 is what went on that thin client!) I imagine, being an Ubuntu derivative, WattOS winds up carrying at least a good percentage of the same bloat... and therefore is far more slow and pudgy than it needs to be.
Hi starhawk,

I only really notice if things are extremely fast or slow, but I'd say WattOS is fast enough for a Pentium 4 (which mine is, bearing in mind that all its apps are lightweight ones by design). Abiword opens in about three or four seconds on my machine and Gnumeric almost instantly when Abiword is open.

I haven't tried Akita on this machine but I'd guess it's about the same as WattOS. I don't know Puplite, sorry.

As I said though, at the moment it seems like several packages in WattOS are broken, which is a shame.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

starhawk

#865 Post by starhawk »

One more WattOS question: are the packages broken right away, or does it try to update, fail badly, and break everything as a result?

James C

#866 Post by James C »

Just messing with Sid........

Code: Select all

Wed Dec 19 13:57:21 CST 2012
bbq@bbq:~$ uname -r
3.7-1.towo-siduction-686
bbq@bbq:~$ 

bark_bark_bark

#867 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I always wanted to try Debian, but it comes on 8 DVDs. That's 8 DVDs I don't have. I never really write DVDs.

nitehawk

#868 Post by nitehawk »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I always wanted to try Debian, but it comes on 8 DVDs. That's 8 DVDs I don't have. I never really write DVDs.
...Yes,..and now I read where Wheezy will be coming out on 11 DVDs!!!! ELEVEN!
I used to use Debian a lot,...and would get the DVDs ('cause I'm still on dialup). Lenny only had 4 DVDs,...and was super-nice. I peeled out the extra $$$ for the 8 Squeeze DVDs,.....but NO WAY am I gonna go for 11 DVDs.

I took an old 20 Gig hard drive I had,....and loaded it with Lenny and ALL the games that Lenny and Squeeze had on their DVDs for my grandson. I simply switch out my 160 Gig hard drive for the old 20 G ...when the grandson comes over. Now I can use whatever linux distro I want,....and he can get all his linux games he wants, as well. (Another old computer is loaded with W2k,...and about 100 or so old windows and old dos games for him).

Naw,....no more Debian for me, it seems. Too many DVDs.

Colonel Panic

#869 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:One more WattOS question: are the packages broken right away, or does it try to update, fail badly, and break everything as a result?
Well, good news on that front. I've removed gkrellm now and the programs that weren't installing before have since installed just fine :)

I'm still aware that I know a lot less about Debian- and Ubuntu-based distros than Slack-based ones though (how to locate and enable appropriate repos, for example). Still, it's all working now.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 30 Dec 2012, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

rokytnji

#870 Post by rokytnji »

James C wrote:Just messing with Sid........

3.7-1.towo-siduction-686
Just messing with AntiX

$ uname -r
3.7.1-antix.2-amd64-smp
$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
Iso was 300MB for Base. 64bit also.

starhawk

#871 Post by starhawk »

@ Colonel Panic -- I've got WattOS RC5 -- I'll delete that and download 6 tomorrow. I guess I can give them a second chance :P

James C

#872 Post by James C »

rokytnji wrote:
James C wrote:Just messing with Sid........

3.7-1.towo-siduction-686
Just messing with AntiX

$ uname -r
3.7.1-antix.2-amd64-smp
$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
Iso was 300MB for Base. 64bit also.

Still running AntiX here too....

james@antiX1:~
$ uname -r
3.6.6-antix.1-486-smp
james@antiX1:~
$ 
Presently though both apt-get and Synaptic are inoperative so temporarily stuck with old kernel. :lol:

nooby

#873 Post by nooby »

Guys this is really funny.

http://distrowatch.com/7622
SparkyLinux 2.0.1, a lightweight Debian-based distribution
featuring a customised LXDE deskto

Yes finally a lightweigt Debian. How small it is?

Download: sparkylinux-2.0.1-gameover-i386.iso (3,913MB

3.913 MB that is even smaller than my DVD having some 4.70 or 4.37 GB?
(Jasper Thanks for correction) Typical of me.

I mean come on Puppy Linux. You have to cut size to fit in
among the really light weight guys :)
Last edited by nooby on Thu 20 Dec 2012, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#874 Post by Jasper »

Hi nooby,

It seems to be 3 GB (not 3 MB)?

My regards

musher0

#875 Post by musher0 »

Jasper wrote:Hi nooby,

It seems to be 3 GB (not 3 MB)?

My regards
Nooby and Jasper,

I believe nooby's post referred to the games version.

The authors also offer a "Venus Lite" iso at 673M, third entry at http://sparkylinux.org/download/. It's based on Debian Squeeze.

BFN.

m0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)