Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

#91 Post by nooby »

The only real problem

Yes I ahve tried both AntiX and Swift and for me whom always do frugal install the real problem is that being a live version it by default set the partition one boot from as read only even if one are root or sudo.

I asked Anti about it and AFAIK there are no solution for it.

I trust it works okay as a full install or on USB but not frugal on ntfs.
You can not save a thing on it only read.

Now I am no big fan of Slitaz but that one just works in frugal install while Swift fails to save. So slitaz beats it by horse length.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#92 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for your reply Nooby.

I'm having trouble getting the latest Swift (0.1.2) even to install to my hard drive, though the last one (0.1.1) installed OK. I shouldn't really say any more until I've taken my troubles to the AntiX forum (where there's a thread on Swift).

Slitaz does look interesting; it's on my list of "low system requirement" distros to have a look at soon along with Austrumi and perhaps Unity as well. I want to get the best solution I can for an old machine like mine and Puppy will almost certainly be a part of that, but maybe not the whole answer. For nearly all of my time running Puppy (5 years - how time flies!) I've run something else on my computer as well, and quite often more than one Puppy at the same time.

Best,

CP .
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

anticapitalista

#93 Post by anticapitalista »

nooby wrote:The only real problem

Yes I ahve tried both AntiX and Swift and for me whom always do frugal install the real problem is that being a live version it by default set the partition one boot from as read only even if one are root or sudo.

I asked Anti about it and AFAIK there are no solution for it.

I trust it works okay as a full install or on USB but not frugal on ntfs.
You can not save a thing on it only read.

Now I am no big fan of Slitaz but that one just works in frugal install while Swift fails to save. So slitaz beats it by horse length.
Next version of antiX will be more frugal-friendly. We have been working on this since antiX-M11 was released.
Just to let you know, I have been running antiX frugal on an ntfs external usb drive and from an ntfs usb stick and saving files.
We found a solution, hope you give it a test when we release.

nooby

#94 Post by nooby »

Thanks such can be very helpful to people with older low RAM gear.

AntiX does make low impact on RAM so that is a good thing that it also can be used in frugal install with save on same internal hdd that one boot from in future. I don't thing Murga get angry if you tell about it in these part of the forum or maybe in the off topic one even ?

So I do look forward to that news here too.

Colonel Panic

#95 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm posting from an old version of Mint Debian. It seems to need less in the way system resources than standard Debian (I haven't done formal testing) but I think antiX is better for old machines.

Not to mention the fact that the version I've got has got several broken libraries that won't update properly :(
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#96 Post by nooby »

Old??? so old that you can boot in grub legacy or grub4Dos?

Because Debian and Mint and most others have gone over to grub2 has them not?

okay you boot through isolinux maybe that explains it???

Colonel Panic

#97 Post by Colonel Panic »

No, it´s just that it´s not the latest one. Mint 10 Debian (which I've got) seems to need less in the way of system resources than Mint 11 LXDE; it installs and runs comfortably in 512 MB, whereas I´ve only just managed to install Mint 11 LXDE at all in 512 MB and am running it in a lightweight window manager (vtwm) to keep system resources down.

When all is said and done though, it´s still a fine distro. It's just a shame that the time seems to be passing when it can be recommended as a distro for old machines.

nooby

#98 Post by nooby »

Guys don't get angry with me now! I have a 80 year old Mechanic as neighbor and he had used a "doctored" MsWindows that his grandchildren had prepared for free for him so he could do Genaology something. Looking back on elder generations now gone whatever.

But MsWin them don't like doctored versions so them shut it down and locked his machine. Impossible to get by or go around or start up in any other way then to tell MsWin that sorry we abused your property.

So he come to the Noob Guru next door for help. So I made one CD with Puppy Linux on it and one with Linux Mint on it. Number 8 or 9 not sure was some two years ago.

He preferred the Linux Mint and did not like Puppy so much. Well what to do you can only lead the Horse to the Well and then the Horse decide if it taste good or not. :)

Yes something about Mint makes it good but these programs are too big and all the locked in things, so much to learn to just do simple things that just work o Puppy. But him never had to do those things. He checked the email and read newspaper and looked at what next on TV and then shut down. No fancy stuff. Now he has a MsWin him actually payed for instead of using free Linux stuff.

Colonel Panic

#99 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I've just managed to install Swift, the second time of trying, and am posting from it now. I've posted a comment on the AntiX forum to this effect, and an apology in recognition of the fact that I'd claimed their installer doesn't work when in fact it does (I'm not sure what happened the first time).

Swift 0.1.2 does work!

Regards,

Colonel Panic .

Stripe

#100 Post by Stripe »

hi all

my daughter has linux mint 10 (64bit) on her pc (recent) and it is very impressive for a full distro, but wont let you run as root

stripe

nooby

#101 Post by nooby »

Colonel Panic wrote:A quick update; I've just managed to install Swift, the second time of trying, and am posting from it now. I've posted a comment on the AntiX forum to this effect, and an apology in recognition of the fact that I'd claimed their installer doesn't work when in fact it does (I'm not sure what happened the first time).

Swift 0.1.2 does work!

Regards,

Colonel Panic .
Cool, may I guess that you made a full install? I guess that is their preferred way to install. So that all Linux users feel the mare on or in a "Real Linux" and not some Poor mans frugal install odd thing :)

If it is a frugal install in NTFS can you edit text files on the same partition it booted from?

Colonel Panic

#102 Post by Colonel Panic »

Stripe wrote:hi all

my daughter has linux mint 10 (64bit) on her pc (recent) and it is very impressive for a full distro, but wont let you run as root

stripe
Hi,

No it won't, none of the Debian-based distros (including Ubuntu and its derivatives) will AFAIK. It's part of the Debian philosophy.

If you want to make any changes, what you have to do is type "su root" and then type in your password when prompted. That will set you up as root for anything you do from that terminal (but you have to go through it all again when you close the terminal!).

You either get used to it or you give up on Debian-based distros. It's better for security though I guess (and I like the fact that Debian, unlike Slackware, tracks the dependencies of all its packages).

Colonel Panic

#103 Post by Colonel Panic »

nooby wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:A quick update; I've just managed to install Swift, the second time of trying, and am posting from it now. I've posted a comment on the AntiX forum to this effect, and an apology in recognition of the fact that I'd claimed their installer doesn't work when in fact it does (I'm not sure what happened the first time).

Swift 0.1.2 does work!

Regards,

Colonel Panic .
Cool, may I guess that you made a full install? I guess that is their preferred way to install. So that all Linux users feel the mare on or in a "Real Linux" and not some Poor mans frugal install odd thing :)

If it is a frugal install in NTFS can you edit text files on the same partition it booted from?
Thanks for asking. Yes it is a full install, but not in NTFS as I don't have Windows or Windows file systems on my machine at the moment (don't see the need).

I haven't figured out whether or not you can do a frugal in AntiX or its derivatives, but to be honest with 30 GB of hard drive space to use and a distro as economical on resources as Swift it doesn't really bother me that much.

Colonel Panic

#104 Post by Colonel Panic »

Austrumi is also a nice distro, if you can figure out how to get the menus in English (the distro comes from Latvia). It's practically the only distro I can think of which uses fvwm as its main window manager.

tikbalang

#105 Post by tikbalang »

Colonel Panic wrote:
Austrumi is also a nice distro, if you can figure out how to get the menus in English (the distro comes from Latvia).

taken from "/austrumi/message.msg" (or press F1 if booting from CD):

Code: Select all

lang_XX      where XX - locale (el, en, es, fr, hu, it, lv, ltg, pt_br, ru, uk) 

here it is in my grub4dos menu.lst:

title Austrumi
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /austrumi/austrumi.lst
kernel /austrumi/bzImage dousb lang_en
initrd /austrumi/initrd.gz

Stripe

#106 Post by Stripe »

@ colonel panic

the mint 10 she is using is ubuntu based (the debian version would not install due to it trying to use the neuveau driver with nvidia graphics :lol: )

cheers
don

nooby

#107 Post by nooby »

Stripe, I can be totally wrong but as I remember.
The Dev of Linux Mint had changed so many things
even as early as Mint 5 or at least with Mint7 that the
Ubuntu folks did see it as something them did not
want to be connected with. There was a lot of complaint
as I remember.

But Mint 10 or was it 11? was based on Debian or did he go back
to Ubuntu after 9 or 10? I would not say it is Ubuntu anymore.
It started out like that but then change so many things that it is
not ubuntu based anymore? No criticism I just try to get the history
but my poor memory can have missed something.

My 80 year old neighbor liked Mint over both Ubuntu and Puppy.

Colonel Panic

#108 Post by Colonel Panic »

Stripe and Nooby, thanks for replying.

There are at least two different versions of Mint, but they're all derived from one of two branches and have different desktop environments (KDE, Gnome, XFce or LXDE). The standard Mint is based on Ubuntu and that's very stable and well-polished but quite demanding of resources. (I'm posting from it now.) The other one, Mint Debian, is based on Debian and is lighter on resources but rougher round the edges (as its devs admit).

Sadly I found I couldn't update or install very much with it, so I gave up. It may have got better since (my version was version 10).

nooby

#109 Post by nooby »

Thanks Colonel Panic ah we where both right then. Both exists.
I only remembered the one that tried out Debian. But if I am right then both of them use Grub2 and none use grub legacy or grub4dos.

one have to go back to Mint 7 or something? and even then it don't boot frugally?

Colonel Panic

#110 Post by Colonel Panic »

tikbalang wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
Austrumi is also a nice distro, if you can figure out how to get the menus in English (the distro comes from Latvia).

taken from "/austrumi/message.msg" (or press F1 if booting from CD):

lang_XX      where XX - locale (el, en, es, fr, hu, it, lv, ltg, pt_br, ru, uk) 

here it is in my grub4dos menu.lst:

title Austrumi
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /austrumi/austrumi.lst
kernel /austrumi/bzImage dousb lang_en
initrd /austrumi/initrd.gz

Thanks for the info, I'll try that the next time I'm using Austrumi.

Best wishes,

CP .