Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

#946 Post by nooby »

Took just a minute to get the menu.lst correct but working now.
Then I hope you would share that one with us. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Eyes-Only

#947 Post by Eyes-Only »

Same here with me James. Waiting with baited breath in fact! I'll check the homepage but usually I get lost in a tangent reading and then forget why I'm there. lol! Far easier when someone writes, "This is what I did to get a frugal install and how it's written in the menu.lst..." and then I can replicate it to the "T" with 99.99% sucess. Nooby may remember having helped me in just such a proceedure a few years ago with another fork from SLAX which distro name eludes me at the moment ( Nimbus 2000 maybe? ).

But solely at your leisure James for sure! Far be it from us to presume upon your time! :oops:

TIA.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

James C

#948 Post by James C »

Eyes-Only wrote:Same here with me James. Waiting with baited breath in fact! I'll check the homepage but usually I get lost in a tangent reading and then forget why I'm there. lol! Far easier when someone writes, "This is what I did to get a frugal install and how it's written in the menu.lst..." and then I can replicate it to the "T" with 99.99% sucess. Nooby may remember having helped me in just such a proceedure a few years ago with another fork from SLAX which distro name eludes me at the moment ( Nimbus 2000 maybe? ).

But solely at your leisure James for sure! Far be it from us to presume upon your time! :oops:

TIA.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
I will probably boot that box sometime later today. Too much hardware ,,,,,, not enough time. :)

seaside

#949 Post by seaside »

I don't know if this is applicable to version2, but here's my grub menu for version 1.1
title Porteus-v1.1-i486
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz from_dev=UUID:b28af40f-3652-4c51-af68-0df8f533f328 changes=/porteus/ vga=791 toroot autoexec=xconf; max_loop=256
initrd /boot/initrd.gz
This was a frugal install booted from a usb thumb drive. I found in this case that the UUID descriptor was necessary.

Cheers,
s

jakfish

Semplice 3.0

#950 Post by jakfish »

This is a great Linux, though I think nooby had trouble with a frugal install (and apparently 3.0 doesn't allow any persistence--it has to be a full install, I believe).

This thing is based on Sid Unstable, but except for a weird Bleachbit disaster, I find Semplice very sure of itself.

On the EEE 900, faster boot than even Lubuntu 12.10, maybe a one-second longer shut-down than Lubuntu.

Semplice has the bare minimum--current Chromium, Claws email, video/music--just enough to get you going. But a full Synaptic manager to choose apps. Openbox, whose simplicity I'm also enjoying.

Highly recommend it, for a full install.

Jake

Edit: for EEE users, I posted a little how-to for setup in Semplice forum, including a .conkyrc/screenshot. Conky is already installed in Semplice and aids the OS's uncluttered approach to Linux. Fancontrol works, too.

James C

#951 Post by James C »

Code: Select all

title Porteus 2.0
  root (hd0,7)
  kernel /porteus/boot/vmlinuz ramdisk=1 vga=792 changes=porteus toroot autoexec=xconf
  initrd /porteus/boot/initrd.xz

Fairly similar but UUID not needed here.And looks like my install is in a directory "porteus". As long as it works..... :)

nooby

#952 Post by nooby »

Much appreciated I give it a try.
Thanks to both Seaside and James C

I test it on Tues(Wednesday most likely is busy Monday

Porteus and Slax is not exactly same. Porteus is
the community version of Slax and Slax is made
by the original dev. So they can be different maybe.
I will try both.

musher0

#953 Post by musher0 »

Yeah... about Porteus... If you think the Puppy Package Manager is bizarre, have a go at the Porteus one: this one will bring about the ultimate confusion. :shock:

Besides, it has next to nothing in its 228 Mb, whereas Puppy has lots in +/- 2/3'rds of that.

So, bye-bye Porteus, to the land of reformatted bytes. :twisted:

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nitehawk

#954 Post by nitehawk »

What I am looking for,.....is a small Debian-based distro (for somewhat older computers). I am trying to find something that is a lot like VectorLinux standard (but that is based on Debian, not Slackware). VectorLinux is just loaded with usable apps,...and comes with all the codecs already installed. Unfortunately, I just prefer Debian based stuff.

DreamLinux used to be pretty good (until it went RIP). Antix and CrunchBang are fair,..but rathar incomplete. I'm using CrunchBang right now,....but find it a bit frustrating in trying to get things done.

Being on dialup,....I can't do a lot of downloading to "fill-out" something as Spartan as Antix or CrunchBang. When I had the plain vanilla Debian DVDs,...I could put together a really nice little set-up that suited me and my various older computers. But I just don't want to spring for the upcoming 11 DVDs that Wheezy will have.

So do any of you know of a nice, small, Debian-based distro (on the same par as VectorLinux) that comes with something like Xfce, Lxde, etc.etc. ? So far I haven't seen anything besides Antix and CrunchBang (which are incomplete IMO).

.....and don't mention Xubuntu,....as it doesn't even have a way to setup dialup (unless you do a lot of fiddling and stuff). Besides,..it's an Ubuntu variant,...not pure Debian.

Any suggestions?

James C

#955 Post by James C »

Might want to check out GALPon MiniNo.
http://minino.galpon.org/en/about

Wheezy with LXDE. I've only done a little live testing but everything appeared to work.

Minimum  requirements
Minimum requirements for daily use, including web surfing:
1.0 GHz processor
256 MB RAM
3,6 GB hard drive

Minimum requirements for a desktop, with little use of the web:
500Mhz processor
128Mb RAM
2,5 GB hard drive

nitehawk

#956 Post by nitehawk »

James C..
That sounds pretty interesting! I can't download it right now (the dialup thingy). Have to wait until I'm at my daughter's place (she has the high speed internet). It'll be awhile until I can go anywhere just now, though (just had major surgery,..and will have another in about 3 weeks). Stuck at home with my old computers and dialup. (Thank goodness for Puppy.)

Maybe "OSDisk" or "ShopLinuxOnline.com" might have a CD I could order. It sounds like a little known distro,...so might be hard to find.

starhawk

#957 Post by starhawk »

Nitehawk, PM me your address and I'll send Minino to you on a CD-RW. My Internet's behaving tonight, so I can do that for you.

nitehawk

#958 Post by nitehawk »

Thanks for the offer, Star,....
But I wouldn't want you to go out of your way like that :lol:

...and if I am going to use a distro (like Puppy or some other) I want to make SURE it is something that I will also be able to get on my own in the future. Right now,..you can get a Puppy (and several different Puppies) from several online linux shops. And I can download one whenever I am able to be at my daughter's place, as well. So I know I can always get myself a Puppy (and I have several of the older ISOs as well,...like Puppy 431 etc. etc. etc.).

So thanks so much for the offer,...but guess I best stick with something that I could get for myself in the future, as well.

Colonel Panic

#959 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Thanks for the offer, Star,....
But I wouldn't want you to go out of your way like that :lol:

...and if I am going to use a distro (like Puppy or some other) I want to make SURE it is something that I will also be able to get on my own in the future. Right now,..you can get a Puppy (and several different Puppies) from several online linux shops. And I can download one whenever I am able to be at my daughter's place, as well. So I know I can always get myself a Puppy (and I have several of the older ISOs as well,...like Puppy 431 etc. etc. etc.).

So thanks so much for the offer,...but guess I best stick with something that I could get for myself in the future, as well.
Hi nitehawk, good to see you here again.

Either Solus or Mint Debian sound like what you need; both Debian-based but loaded with applications. Not sure about the dialup support though.

Failing that, there's Swift which is based on Mint Debian. Only thing is, I don't think it's any better specced than AntiX which you've said isn't enough for you.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#960 Post by Colonel Panic »

Other news; I've given up waiting for WattOS for the time being and have installed the new Openbox version of Manjaro 0.8.4 instead. It's lightweight in operation and the iso fits on a CD, but the downside of that compactness is that it's something of a "skeleton" system; you have to install any office software, browsers, flash etc. that you want, yourself as they don't come with the distro.

I also have trouble (in common with other Arch-based distros I've tried) with getting the locality set properly; it keeps on defaulting to the US keyboard instead of the UK one and giving me " instead of @ for example. I've been told the fix for it a while back, but as my gran used to say, I've slept since then. :)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Eyes-Only

Many thanks my friends!

#961 Post by Eyes-Only »

Many thanks my friends, JamesC and seaside, for the invaluable info you gave me re: "Porteus menu.lst grub line". I've copied them down and I'll be making a download of v-2.0 soon ( most likely before the sun sets ) as I've always been tempted to play around with it since it's come out.

Seems as if I've run nothing but Puppy for the past two years or more - nothing at all wrong with that of course!! - yet "back in my day" I used to be one who played with a couple of distros a week "just for fun" all the while still maintaining Puppy as my defacto default ( and damn proud of it I might add! 8) ).

@nooby: Yesterday I'd called that distro you'd helped me with "nimbus 2000". Talk about a wrong reference! :oops: Anyone familiar with the "Harry Potter" series should've immediately have picked up on that one! lol! No, that distro was "NimbleX" and "Nimble 2008" ( I just now remembered, "Duh! You CAN use Google to find distros!" LOL! ). Recall that one Nooby? It too was a fork of SLAX, and a very promising one at that, whose claim to fame was the "online .iso assembly page", i.e. "Pick whatever you wanted for apps in your NimbleX distro, press a button, wait several minutes... and the online generator came out with your very own unique .iso file completely made-to-order!

Nooby? I believe if you look at the Porteus grub lines and the ones for NimbleX/2008, you'll find them remarkably similar? And if I also recall, the creator of that distro had corresponded with you for quite some time and you had learnt quite a bit from him about distro building and maintaining? I could be wrong and thinking of another forum member...

( Sidenote: Just now checking the NimbleX forum and the last post there was from the owner back on August 22nd, 2012 where he had come out with a NimbleX 2012-b. Reading said post now... http://forum.nimblex.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4166

Again: Thanks JamesC and seaside for your help as I very much appreciated it!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

[ Adenda: @JamesC: Thanks too for mentioning the MiniNo project as I'm finding that quite fascinating as well! While I find a "small distro" to be rather large at 640+megs, their orginal 1.1 version isn't too bad at 420-some-odd megs. I guess we'd call that a "medium-weight"? lol! Well, by todays standards that's still incredibly small, eh? :wink: ]
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

nitehawk

#962 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote:
Either Solus or Mint Debian sound like what you need; both Debian-based but loaded with applications. Not sure about the dialup support though.

Failing that, there's Swift which is based on Mint Debian. Only thing is, I don't think it's any better specced than AntiX which you've said isn't enough for you.
...yes,...I had thought about Mint Debian (heard a lot of good things about it). But doesn't it only come with a huge desktop environment? And dialup would be a pain to set up. I will take a look at Solus. BTW,..I have a DVD of that SnowLinux (number '3' I think). It didn't even have Gimp,...nor any signs of dialup support of any kind. I tried to use my old Debian stable DVDs to load PPPConfig onto it,...but it wouldn't acknowledge the Debian DVDs at ALL!!! (was a no-go).

I have actually managed to get CrunchBang to load the Debian DVDs in Synaptic (to use as a repository). I added the Lxde desktop from the DVDs,....only to discover that CrunchBang does really funny stuff with Lxde.

All your files in your /home get splashed out on your Desktop. LOL! Ah well,...everything else works pretty well for now (until I find something else Debian-based).

EDIT: About Antix.....
I have a wide monitor (1366x768) on my main computer. Antix (M11) wouldn't recognize that resolution. The info said that one has to "create your own xorg.conf. Otherwise,...Antix seemed OK.

Colonel Panic

#963 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

...yes,...I had thought about Mint Debian (heard a lot of good things about it). But doesn't it only come with a huge desktop environment? And dialup would be a pain to set up. I will take a look at Solus. BTW,..I have a DVD of that SnowLinux (number '3' I think). It didn't even have Gimp,...nor any signs of dialup support of any kind. I tried to use my old Debian stable DVDs to load PPPConfig onto it,...but it wouldn't acknowledge the Debian DVDs at ALL!!! (was a no-go).

I have actually managed to get CrunchBang to load the Debian DVDs in Synaptic (to use as a repository). I added the Lxde desktop from the DVDs,....only to discover that CrunchBang does really funny stuff with Lxde.

All your files in your /home get splashed out on your Desktop. LOL! Ah well,...everything else works pretty well for now (until I find something else Debian-based).
Hi again nitie,

I can't remember how much RAM you have available on your machines, so I'll just go from my own experience.

Mint Debian is pretty big but I was able to run it (just) in 512 MB of RAM. The last version of "standard" (i.e. Ubuntu-based) Mint I was able to run in 256 MB of RAM was Mint 5 (Elyssa), which is probably too old to be useful now.

At the moment Solus is based on Gnome 3 but tweaked to look and behave like Gnome 2, which I think is at least as big as Mate or Cinnamon (which Mint Debian uses). The new version of Solus (the 2 series) is meant to have a desktop all of its own, but I don't know what that one will be like.

What I generally do if I want a lighter desktop on a Debian-based distro is install xfce4, but I suppose on dialup that would take a long time.

Here's a thread about dialup options in Mint;

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=53893
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 19:21, edited 2 times in total.

nooby

#964 Post by nooby »

James C wrote:Might want to check out GALPon MiniNo.
http://minino.galpon.org/en/about

Wheezy with LXDE. I've only done a little live testing but everything appeared to work.

Minimum  requirements
Minimum requirements for daily use, including web surfing:
1.0 GHz processor
256 MB RAM
3,6 GB hard drive

Minimum requirements for a desktop, with little use of the web:
500Mhz processor
128Mb RAM
2,5 GB hard drive
I only tested it "live" on USB using IsoBooter by rcrsn51
so not same as a real install. It lacked the Adobe Flash in browsesr
so I ditched it and tested another one.

LXLE a variant of Lubuntu.
LXLE - Lubuntu Extra Life Extension - A remastered LTS release

that one is a bit big 1.5GB but it did work good using the IsoBooter
and only using it live. it change html files and save the changes on the
NTFS HD and it has both Firefox 19.0.02 IIRC and latest Chrome browser.

Adobeflash worked without any need for download and install.
booted rather fast too. so maybe I keep it.

nooby

#965 Post by nooby »

Thanks for kind words Eyes-Only . Yes I tried out NimbleX
for some years ago. I where active on his forum but I only
learned to boot it frugally and get Swedish going and a save file.

Not anything else as I remember. I felt sorry for him that his forum
had too few Mods so the spam was often heavy so I guess him gave up?

I will test both Slax latest and Porteus latest but the problem for me
is that they are so similar that they want same boot directory?

I usually try to rename boot to slaxboot and porteusboot
and it may help but how to separate the save file I don't know?
Slaxsave and Porteusave?

I used to know these things some two years ago but start to lose memory now.