TazDog (experiment with SliTaz)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
fredx181

TazDog (experiment with SliTaz)

#1 Post by fredx181 »

Inspired by initiative from mistfire, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113255

EDIT 2018-05-21, improved TazDog version, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 740#992740

I was curious if it would be possible to use the porteus boot method with SliTaz, and it WORKS !
Same method as being used with DebianDog, XenialDog etc...
Very alpha stage though, only save to folder works, and the EXIT:/... parameter doesn't work (for save changes at shutdown only), therefore some scripts need to be added to the filesystem, which I didn't do (yet?)
Example to set up with grub4dos:
- Create folder "tazdog" at the root of a partition (must be Linux filesystem, e.g. ext4 for save-folder to work)
- from mounted (or extracted) ISO, copy the "live" folder to "tazdog", so you get /tazdog/live
Entry menu.lst (for sda1) :

Code: Select all

title TazDog on sda1, changes in /tazdog/changes
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /tazdog/live/vmlinuz1 from=/tazdog noauto changes=/tazdog/
 initrd /tazdog/live/initrd1.xz
After boot at the login screen, press ENTER (default tux login)
Password: leave it empty (just press ENTER again)
Or login as root with password: root

Only change I made to the Slitaz filesystem is replacing the kernel (in /lib/modules), same kernel as used in tazpup (thanks mistfire :) )

Download tazdog_alpha.iso (Size: 70 MB):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ofu ... a.iso?dl=1
EDIT: Sorry, link removed, forgot to clean up (e.g. midori cache, cookies) will upload again later.
EDIT2: Re-uploaded, new download link above.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 21 May 2018, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#2 Post by wiak »

Nice! I presume, from what you say, that Porteus save folder to EXIT: just needs the relevant scripts added, so that would be the next change. Have you tried slitaz package manager and other utils on it - is it all working like normal slitaz aside from having full persistence (which I presume it has)?

I'm busy writing a big program at the moment so sticking with that till finished (hopefully tomorrow) then I'll give your TazDog a spin. I really like this idea for Slitaz and I also hope mistfire gets his TazPup version all going like a normal Pup aside from being Slitaz...

wiak

fredx181

#3 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:Nice! I presume, from what you say, that Porteus save folder to EXIT: just needs the relevant scripts added, so that would be the next change.
Yes, indeed the EXIT: option needs e.g. save2flash, snapmergepuppy (gtkdialog required also, I guess).
Also the required scripts for create symlinks, e.g. /mnt/home are not present, as I said, I added nothing (except the puppy kernel)
Btw, how it is now, the "home" partition mountpoint is for e.g. sda4: /mnt/live/mnt/sda4
(for some reason doesn't show at the left panel (partitions) in pcmanfm)
Have you tried slitaz package manager and other utils on it - is it all working like normal slitaz aside from having full persistence (which I presume it has)?
I installed a few packages, gnome-mplayer, bash, did some internet browsing, played a video, all seems the same as the regular slitaz.
Save to folder without EXIT: option should work fine.

I'm not sure yet if I'll work on this as a "real" project in the near future, I suspect it will be a big puzzle and much having to learn about how slitaz works :roll:
Maybe a community project ? Who knows...
And if mistfire succeeds in combining puppy with slitaz, that would be best, I guess.
I can't help with that, because I know (almost) nothing about puppy boot scripts.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 05 May 2018, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

fredx181

#5 Post by fredx181 »

*** tazdog_32bit-2018-05-21.iso ***

Just for fun (couldn't resist :-)) I've put some effort in improving this.
Not intended to be a project like "TazPup" (btw, this is much more simple), so it is the last TazDog ISO I will share.

Changes:
- Save on Exit (at shutdown only) works now (changes=EXIT:/... option)
- Added Quick-remaster, TazDog-Installer, Edit-sfs, Convert-sfs, filemnt (mount .iso, .squashfs or .sfs from right-click in pcmanfm), sfs-load ((de)activate module from right-click in pcmanfm).
- Added "Create-savefile" (in Menu), and booting with savefile works now (previously only save-folder worked).
- Logout, Reboot, Shutdown provided by "obshutdown" (suspend doesn't work, btw, installing pm-utils will probably fix that)
- Installed some tools from Package Manager, e.g. bash, rsync, procps, coreutils, grep, find-utils.
(this to make some of the above mentioned programs work properly)

Automatic login as root now (password: root , in case you need it)
Kernel: 4.16.8 (took it from latest tazpup, thanks mistfire !)
Note: very little firmware included, can be installed from Package-Manager (or copy what you need from tazpup (or other puppy) (from /lib/firmware) will probably work also)

Download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hk8 ... 1.iso?dl=1 Size: 89MB

Fred
Attachments
screenshot_780x488.jpg
(83.78 KiB) Downloaded 1555 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 21 May 2018, 14:21, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#6 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:*** tazdog_32bit-2018-05-21.iso ***

Just for fun (couldn't resist :-)) I've put some effort in improving this.
Glad you did that Fred. I didn't think you were going to bother so I was looking closely at it since wanted it working better. In a way it doesn't really matter if made with Porteus boot or Puppy boot IMO since the benefits are very similar.

But as for saying this will be the last tazdog iso you will share, please never say never... anyway, these are famous last words and temptation usually gets the better of all of us. Having said that... if change on EXIT is in fact working now (and quick remaster and all the Dog sfs and install to usb etc tools) then I don't think much more if anything really needs to be done - we can always add extra utils ourselves.

Anyway, I may have taken ages getting round to looking at Slitaz-related projects again since am back working on my cast2chrome project version 0.0.2 now.

wiak

wiak

#7 Post by wiak »

But... it will die a death if you don't provide a mklive-tazdog build system... slitaz being a rolling release. Only saying...

EDIT:
In terms of future, would it not be better to at least provide same system but in form of 01-filesystem.squashfs for the absolute basics, and 02-....squashfs for the extra facilities like sfs-load and so on? I haven't looked at the iso yet but assume it is just one big 01-filesystem.squashfs along with the initrd and kernel etc.

wiak

fredx181

#8 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:But... it will die a death if you don't provide a mklive-tazdog build system... slitaz being a rolling release. Only saying...
Well, making a build script will be too much time consuming for me (needs a lot of investigating in how slitaz works, I guess), I'm also busy working on a new BionicDog release.
Maybe I don't know what a rolling release means in this case exactly, isn't it so that applying the updates available from package manager will upgrade the system ?
EDIT:
In terms of future, would it not be better to at least provide same system but in form of 01-filesystem.squashfs for the absolute basics, and 02-....squashfs for the extra facilities like sfs-load and so on? I haven't looked at the iso yet but assume it is just one big 01-filesystem.squashfs along with the initrd and kernel etc.

wiak
Yes, good idea, so you maybe you're right by saying "never say never" :wink:

Fred

wiak

#9 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:
wiak wrote:But... it will die a death if you don't provide a mklive-tazdog build system... slitaz being a rolling release. Only saying...
Well, making a build script will be too much time consuming for me (needs a lot of investigating in how slitaz works, I guess), I'm also busy working on a new BionicDog release.
Maybe I don't know what a rolling release means in this case exactly, isn't it so that applying the updates available from package manager will upgrade the system ?
Yeah, scripts of any complexity take a lot of valuable time. Could probably modify Slitaz itself to use aufs or some other form of save persistence, in as much time, in which case would be no point boot-strapping it with some other distributions system.

Good point about Slitaz rolling release claims; I have no idea what that means either come to think about it - aside from their cooking versions new releases of Slitaz used to be very irregular so current isos tended to be quite old, as you know.

wiak