Gxine playing DVD closes when switched to full screen

Please post any bugs you have found
gliezl

Gxine playing DVD closes when switched to full screen

#1 Post by gliezl »

Gxine in Puppy 1.0.8R1 closes when I shifted to fullscreen while watching a movie in MPEG format. Does it happen to you guys? :-(
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Yeah, that's a very old bug.
The trick is to switch to full screen just after you have chosen the dvd (or whatever) from the menu and before it starts to play.
I think GuestToo had another recommendation, you can find it with a search probably.

MU

#3 Post by MU »

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

the workaround that i found was the "switch to full screen just after the movie starts" workaround ... it usually won't crash and you can switch back and forth to full screen mode as often as you like after the first time ... so, no, i don't have another recommendation

i did try a live cd that had gxine installed (slax? ... i don't remember) and it switched to full screen with no problems ... i suspect it's one of the library files that causes the problem ... this is a problem that gxine seems to have with some os's ... i think Solaris had this problem too

i usually use mplayer (MU's build with xv support) for playing movies (and watching tv), which has no problem with full screen mode

gliezl

#5 Post by gliezl »

Ok I will try Mplayer. So why don't we substitute Gxine with Mplayer? :-)
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

Kal

gxine 5.4

#6 Post by Kal »

Just Information from an end user, gxine 5.4 and xine 1.1.1 doesn't seem to have this bug, but I had to compile 5.4 on slackware, and added libs for svg. I am running puppy on slackware kde, jwm is not happy with it. Icewm does work with it.
luck, Kal

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

why don't we substitute Gxine with Mplayer?
the main reason is that mplayer is a lot bigger than gxine ... the mplayer binary is about 6 megs

stefan1978

Workaround does not work for me...

#8 Post by stefan1978 »

Unfortunately, the workaround does not work for me, because the DVD starts playing immidiately after chosing it, so I do not have the time to switch to fullscreen.
Is there any other possibility that does not involve substituting gxine with any other program (I quite like it) or manually re-compiling half of puppy? By the way, I'm using Puppy Version 1.0.4 (with mozilla).
Unfortunately, upgrading does not work either, maybe it's a problem with my ancient notebook... (330mhz and non-standard partition names, no internet access there, and also no cd-burner).

MU

#9 Post by MU »