Back2mydesktop-1.0_x86.pet

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Whitesnow

#1 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi everybody,

this is my solution to the desktop troubles, i.e. when you add a sfs, and icons lost their alignment.
I prepared two script with GUI. One called "bkp-my-desktop" ("Backup my Desktop", in Puppy menu) and the other one called "desktop-recoverer" ("Recover my Desktop", in Puppy menu).

Some comments from my scripts to explain better, now:

== "bkp-my-desktop" ==
is to backup your desktop icon order and your background. Do this backup everytime you change desktop icon order and/or your background. To recover your desktop, use after this one, "desktop-recoverer" script (look in Desktop menu and search "Recover my Desktop").

== "desktop-recoverer" ==
is to recover your PuppyPin and globincons files from a backup, after a modification on your system (i.e. useful when you add a squash file, sfs). Please, before you run this one, first create a backup, via "bkp-my-desktop" script (look in Desktop menu and search "Backup my Desktop"). Do this backup everytime you change desktop icon order and/or your background.

For the last one, I provide two shots below (first of them appears only if you haven't already backuped first).
For "bkp-my-desktop" script, notice of backup done is non-interactive (just "EXIT" button or 3 seconds timeout), so I didn't shot it.

Interactive GUI is ensured by Gxmessage windows.

Icons are available (with the same name of scripts), to allow to put script links on desktop.

Enjoy! :)

EDIT: I have just uploaded new shots, same as the script ones (first, I uploaded those ones of beta version, without correct text alignment in Gxmessage windows). Now attached pet is below and download counter is reset. Sorry for inconvenience. :)
Attachments
checking_if_bkp_exists.png
Checking if desktop backup exists (Gxmessage window from FIRST step of "Recover my Desktop" script. Note: it appears ONLY if you haven't already backuped first).
(10.69 KiB) Downloaded 1087 times
recoverer.png
Gxmessage window from SECOND step of "Recover my Desktop" script. Note: first notice (see image above) appears ONLY if you haven't already backuped first.
(7.45 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
Desktop backuper & recoverer
(12.82 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Last edited by Whitesnow on Wed 29 Jun 2011, 12:04, edited 3 times in total.
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I haven't looked at your script, but you shouldn't need to restart X. You can just do

Code: Select all

killall ROX-Filer
exec rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Also, Puppy doesn't usually include gxmessage - you might want to make it use xmessage unless gxmessage is available.
e.g. something like this code from the Trash roxapp

# Write the confirmation message.
 MSG=`which gxmessage` || MSG=xmessage
 $MSG -buttons "Delete:21,Cancel" -default Cancel -center -title "Confirm Delete" "$stuff"

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Whitesnow

Back2mydesktop in everyday use

#4 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi disciple, thanks for your replies. :)
disciple wrote:

killall ROX-Filer
exec rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
These commands are useful when you haven't got widgets on your desktop. Last one reloads desktop (sometime with black background, instead of yours :-/), but not add-ons.
In addition, when I thought to Back2mydesktop, I had newbies in mind, no forced terminal use (but you can, I provided names of my scripts) to encourage everybody to approach Puppy Linux, also if it manages sfs archives that change desktop at every new load.
disciple wrote:Also, Puppy doesn't usually include gxmessage - you might want to make it use xmessage unless gxmessage is available.
Gxmessage is part of Puppy. I didn't install it apart.

Bye.

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

These commands are useful when you haven't got widgets on your desktop.
Ah, OK. I didn't know that as I don't use Pwidgets.
Gxmessage is part of Puppy.
Well, part of the version of Puppy that you happen to be running ;)
In the past it was typically only included in puppies/puplets that weren't made by Barry. It is possible that he also includes it now, but I'd have to check in Wary or Quirky to see.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Whitesnow

Gxmessage is a standard in Puppy Linux

#6 Post by Whitesnow »

Whitesnow wrote:Gxmessage is part of Puppy.
disciple wrote:Well, part of the version of Puppy that you happen to be running ;)
In the past it was typically only included in puppies/puplets that weren't made by Barry. It is possible that he also includes it now, but I'd have to check in Wary or Quirky to see.
Gxmessage is part of Puppy Linux (straight line, I can't talk about Wary and Quirky, but you can check and writing about them here) since end of 2006 (since Puppy Linux 2.12, see http://www.puppylinux.com/news/news211-212.htm and http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-2.12.htm). So, time has gone to allow me to use it as an ordinary standard in our favorite distro... Don't you agree? ;)

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

Actually, no - Barry must have changed his mind after that, because Puppy 4.x does not have gxmessage.
However, I now see that it does have a symlink to xmessage named gxmessage. So your code should work fine.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER