Pmusic 2 - alpha 3

Using applications, configuring, problems
zigbert

Pmusic 2 - alpha 3

#1 Post by zigbert »

Pmusic 2.0 - Share your music
Alpha 3

This release upgrades the backend dependencies to ffmpeg-0.8 and gtkdialog-0.7.21. The new equalizer depends on pEqualizer (by 01micko). All these new requirements is not easy to include into your running system. But the latest Spup is ready for you including Pmusic 2 alpha 3 with all its new dependencies. This is my (and hopefully your testbench for the new sound features like equalizer, WebMusic (youtube streaming) and Albumart.... Please test and help developing both Spup and Pmusic.

If things evolves as expected, there will be 1 more alpha before we reach beta stage.

Sigmund

------------------------------------------------------------------
Alpha 2

This is the second development release targeting Pmusic 2. It should be stable enough for daily use, but still under heavy development.

The headliners for this release:
- Show album art while playing
- WebMusic (play youtube music) is now integrated into most of the Pmusic structure
- Search function is improved
- play/pause button toggles icon

Now you can see how I think the track info should work. BUT, nothing is settled, so feel free to suggest..... Click on the album-art icon (or menu) in main window, and a 'whole world' of extended info is available to you. For Local tracks this require artist and title information (will be saved for next run). The rest should be found by Pmusic on the web.
- meta tags
- Lyrics
- Album list
- Discography
- www links to artist pages
- Album art
- Stream info

The WebMusic db is slowly increasing and counts today around 550 tracks. Add you favorites here. You may find that some youtube tracks don't play. This could be consequence of a slow internet connection or that our ffmpeg-0.6 troubles with the format. ffmpeg-0.7 is on the way, and is expected to handle this. Otherwise I need to make a more selective streaming-code to choose a proper format before start playing the track.

This release require the latest gtkdialog. Change its permission (to executable) and put it into /usr/sbin. You should probably backup the original gtkdialog.
Attachments
pmusic-1.9.2.pet
(95.17 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Last edited by zigbert on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 21:32, edited 3 times in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Hi ziggy

feedback time.

Overall pretty good.

I have come across a bug when clicking in the left pane in the wings the track is added to the play list but I get a "source not found" error. However if I right click the source can be found in the rox window clicking "show location", then just click in rox and it adds to the playlist. Notice in the screeny that the track time is missing. Hope this is useful.

Cheers
Attachments
pmusic.jpg
(57.63 KiB) Downloaded 882 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:Overall pretty good.
Yes it is usable, but I find new bugs constantly while working with new 'code-areas'. The new features infiltrate the Pmusic core, and bugs will show up. When we reach beta, it will be feature freeze, and stabilization will be the only focus.
01micko wrote:I have come across a bug when clicking in the left pane in the wings the track is added to the play list but I get a "source not found" error. However if I right click the source can be found in the rox window clicking "show location", then just click in rox and it adds to the playlist. Notice in the screeny that the track time is missing. Hope this is useful.
I can't reproduce this error, so if you have time (I know you're a busy guy), please tell me more:
- It seems that length-detection works for most track. Is it 'filename-specific'?
- could you give me the content of /root/.pmusic/tmp/playlist
- Is this only happening in Pmusic 2, or also in 1.8.3?

BTW
The theme you are using is not optimized for Pmusic 2, and for that reason
- Play-button won't toggle between play and pause.
- No icon is shown when album art is missing.

Thank you
Sigmund

r1tz

#4 Post by r1tz »

:)

GENERAL STUFF:
WOW, it's very impressive.

Good job :D

ABOUT RADIO:

When I start adding radio stations, the window stretches to be very wide as it
echo "Radio Stations database is not built.\n\nPlease go to the.... ... "
In a single line (in the progress bar)

Added A radio station into bookmark, works well. Click to show/hide on task-bar is lovable.

When I am playing from the radio station, the time shows 59:59 on the playlist.
So I listen to the radio for a long while just to see what happens after it passed the 1hour mark...
...and... it continue to play, so no problem there.

Then i discovered I can change it to display remaining time instead, so i listen for another 1 hour to test what will happen.
The time went into negative as expected.

I see an error message when I press "jump to" when streaming a radio.
But when i press rewind/forward it reconnects. I feel it should also display the error message.

RANDOM STUFF:

I found a weird bug. Under classic window, the music-source window refuse to open.
Even after restarting the program.
It worked again after I delete .pmusic
Then i activated the bug again without know how...

Right click menu doesn't close when unfocus-ed. Even after pmusic itself is closed.

I like how i can keybind with "pmusic -s [signal]"

Would be nice if I can click on a file in rox and make it play without wiping out my current playlist.
Something like "pmusic -aP [file]"

I tried to replicate 01micko's bug but failed.

ABOUT WEBMUSIC:

No instructions under the "web music" when its empty..maybe you should have a default playlist along with the .pet?
When i put the "index_webmusic" into the .pmusic folder, i had to rename it to "index_youtube"

Hmm. When I try to "add all" from webmusic source, it doesn't appear correctly in the playlist, it appears as "watch?v=..." without length of track.

Same goes for "add random". the naming is also wrong, with the track time missing.

Many times, even though it is already playing without lagging, the "Buffering... Please wait" message is still shown in the player bar.

Cool, we get images in the album art even though its from youtube.

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

r1tz wrote:WOW, it's very impressive.
More to come :D

zigbert

#6 Post by zigbert »

r1tz
Thank you very much for your feedback
I am glad for the positive comments as well, even if there is not much for me to answer :)
r1tz wrote:When I start adding radio stations, the window stretches to be very wide as it
echo "Radio Stations database is not built.\n\nPlease go to the.... ... "
In a single line (in the progress bar)
Fixed for alpha 3
r1tz wrote:When I am playing from the radio station, the time shows 59:59 on the playlist.
So I listen to the radio for a long while just to see what happens after it passed the 1hour mark...

Then i discovered I can change it to display remaining time instead, so i listen for another 1 hour to test what will happen.
I have not thought of that. Does it play ok?
r1tz wrote:I see an error message when I press "jump to" when streaming a radio.
But when i press rewind/forward it reconnects. I feel it should also display the error message.
Added to todo-list

r1tz wrote:I found a weird bug. Under classic window, the music-source window refuse to open.
Even after restarting the program.
It worked again after I delete .pmusic
Then i activated the bug again without know how...
r1tz wrote:Right click menu doesn't close when unfocus-ed. Even after pmusic itself is closed.
I have noted the same issue, and I wonder if it is a loop running trying to detect id3 info for radio/webmusic..... I'll keep an eye on it. If you find out exactly what's happening, please give a note.
r1tz wrote:Would be nice if I can click on a file in rox and make it play without wiping out my current playlist.
Something like "pmusic -aP [file]"
Never thought of that combination. I have noted it, but it hasn't the highest priority.
r1tz wrote:I tried to replicate 01micko's bug but failed.
Thank you
r1tz wrote:No instructions under the "web music" when its empty..maybe you should have a default playlist along with the .pet?
already added for alpha 3
r1tz wrote:When i put the "index_webmusic" into the .pmusic folder, i had to rename it to "index_youtube"
I thought alpha 2 is using index_webmusic instead of index_youtube. It is just a rename, and it will be index_webmusic for future releases.
r1tz wrote:Hmm. When I try to "add all" from webmusic source, it doesn't appear correctly in the playlist, it appears as "watch?v=..." without length of track.

Same goes for "add random". the naming is also wrong, with the track time missing.
Fixed for alpha 3
r1tz wrote:Many times, even though it is already playing without lagging, the "Buffering... Please wait" message is still shown in the player bar.
Yes, buffering is the general message showing up if no other message is defined..... Since Pmusic is evolving, This will be revisited from time to time. The messages is defined at bottom of /usr/local/pmusic/func_progressbar.....
r1tz wrote:Cool, we get images in the album art even though its from youtube.
That is because you have added it in the index_webmusic :D

Sigmund

r1tz

#7 Post by r1tz »

zigbert wrote:
r1tz wrote:When I am playing from the radio station, the time shows 59:59 on the playlist.

I have not thought of that. Does it play ok?
Yup it plays okay :)

zigbert

#8 Post by zigbert »

Alpha 3 (see main post)

This release upgrades the backend dependencies to ffmpeg-0.8 and gtkdialog-0.7.21. The new equalizer depends on pEqualizer (by 01micko). All these new requirements is not easy to include into your running system. But the latest Spup is ready for you including Pmusic 2 alpha 3 with all its new dependencies. This is my (and hopefully your testbench for the new sound features like equalizer, WebMusic (youtube streaming) and Albumart.... Please test and help developing both Spup and Pmusic.

If things evolves as expected, there will be 1 more alpha before we reach beta stage.