Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 13:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firefox 5.0 Released
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2011, 14:32    Post subject:  Firefox 5.0 Released
Subject description: Yes, already

Here is Firefox 5.0. It was released right after beta 7. It is the fastest Firefox ever.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Firefox-5.0-lucid525.pet
majorfoo

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2011, 15:19    Post subject: Re: Firefox 5.0 Released
Subject description: Yes, already

playdayz wrote:
Here is Firefox 5.0. It was released right after beta 7. It is the fastest Firefox ever.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Firefox-5.0-lucid525.pet

Posting from Lucid525 using Firefox-5.0-lucid525.pet

Very fast - works great.

Thanks for providing this new pet.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2011, 16:30    Post subject:  

I'm using version 3.6.18, because I know/understand how it works, whereas I don't understand how to do certain things in the latest version.
TLM

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:27    Post subject:  

I attained FireFox 5 in Quirky by using the Check for Updates in Firefox Help menu. It is running fine except it refuses to open to the homepage. It always just opens to a blank tab. However if I click on the Home icon it will then go to my homepage. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul 2011, 02:45    Post subject:  

I haven't checked FF5 yet, and I'm not on a system with FF4 installed, either, to check - but if you go into the options, under General, is there a section labeled "Startup", with an option that reads, "When Firefox starts:" with a dropdown? Make sure it's set to "Show my home page", if it is there.

Edit: Okay, I've installed FF5. The option is basically the same as I mentioned above - but note that it will be different if you have Tab Mix Plus installed - I don't have it installed on this setup (no extensions at the moment), but I believe the dropdown turns into a button that loads a special Tab Mix Plus options window so that you can specify what you want to happen on startup.

Anyway, the default way of doing it is to go to Edit > Preferences, then click on "General" in the pane at the top of the window to switch to that set of options.
Under Startup, there should be an option labeled "When Firefox starts:", and a dropdown to the right. Make sure the dropdown is set to "Show my home page" and not "Show a blank page" or "Show my windows and tabs from last time".

TLM

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul 2011, 22:39    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
I haven't checked FF5 yet, and I'm not on a system with FF4 installed, either, to check - but if you go into the options, under General, is there a section labeled "Startup", with an option that reads, "When Firefox starts:" with a dropdown? Make sure it's set to "Show my home page", if it is there.

Edit: Okay, I've installed FF5. The option is basically the same as I mentioned above - but note that it will be different if you have Tab Mix Plus installed - I don't have it installed on this setup (no extensions at the moment), but I believe the dropdown turns into a button that loads a special Tab Mix Plus options window so that you can specify what you want to happen on startup.

Anyway, the default way of doing it is to go to Edit > Preferences, then click on "General" in the pane at the top of the window to switch to that set of options.
Under Startup, there should be an option labeled "When Firefox starts:", and a dropdown to the right. Make sure the dropdown is set to "Show my home page" and not "Show a blank page" or "Show my windows and tabs from last time".

Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried, and it still opens to a blank tab. Even tried setting several different homepages. Other than this one issue, FF5 is running great for me.
Makoto

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2011, 01:02    Post subject:  

Are you sure you don't have any extensions which might be incompatible in some way with FF5, or that would change that startup behavior (like Tab Mix Plus, I think, or something else)?

You could always try starting a new (blank) profile and see if the problem persists, there.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2011, 08:21    Post subject:  

TLM wrote:
Makoto wrote:

Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried, and it still opens to a blank tab. Even tried setting several different homepages. Other than this one issue, FF5 is running great for me.

I had that starting blank page problem once with ff 3.6, I tracked it down to the menu entry in /usr/share/applications,
just check that there are no other startup options on the end of "Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox

Geoffrey
TLM

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2011, 22:09    Post subject:  

Thanks! That was the problem. My firefox launcher was /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"

I removed the "$@" and now my homepage opens like it should. Thanks again.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul 2011, 23:34    Post subject:  

TLM wrote:
Thanks! That was the problem. My firefox launcher was /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"

I removed the "$@" and now my homepage opens like it should. Thanks again.

Yep, that's the one I had, I have no idea as to why it was added, who ever packaged it up made a boo boo.

I always check now after my experience with it, I must have reinstalled half a dozen time's and removed addons,
it left me scratching my head, so now I have a bald spot grrrrrrr Laughing ....I'll take that one to the grave with me, what a pain it was.
Makoto

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 02:11    Post subject:  

That's usually done so you can pass a file to the program through the shortcut/symlink (or a script), I believe - in this case, you could probably drop an HTML page onto the desktop icon to have Firefox automatically load it on open. I couldn't tell you for sure... I've been manual-installing my Mozilla programs (Seamonkey, FF, TB) and dragging the binary to the desktop to create a shortcut for far too long, so my shortcuts shouldn't have that additional parameter. Embarassed
jonwee

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul 2011, 16:52    Post subject:  

Hi, I'm new to Puppy Linux and I've installed Wary Puppy 5.1.2 yesterday. I tried to install Firefox, both the the latest one downloaded from Mozilla's site and the .pet downloaded from the link provided by playdayz but couldn't get them to run. Looks like some libraries such as libdbus-1.so.3 are missing. I then checked for dependencies and no doubt, the following libraries are missing Sad :

File /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin has these missing library files:
libdbus-1.so.3
File /usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container has these missing library files:
libdbus-1.so.3
File /usr/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so has these missing library files:
libdbus-1.so.3
File /usr/lib/firefox/components/libdbusservice.so has these missing library files:
libdbus-glib-1.so.2 libdbus-1.so.3 libdbus-1.so.3
File /usr/lib/firefox/components/libbrowsercomps.so has these missing library files:
libdbus-1.so.3
File /usr/lib/firefox/components/libmozgnome.so has these missing library files:
libgconf-2.so.4 libORBit-2.so.0 libgnomevfs-2.so.0 libnotify.so.1 libdbus-glib-1.so.2 libdbus-1.so.3 libdbus-1.so.3
File /usr/lib/firefox/components/libnkgnomevfs.so has these missing library files:
libgnomevfs-2.so.0 libgconf-2.so.4 libORBit-2.so.0 libdbus-1.so.3
File /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so has these missing library files:
libdbus-1.so.3

My understanding is that Wary is variant of Puppy, and Puppy is a "light weight" Linux distribution which may not include such libraries.

Does anyone has any idea where I can get those libraries and get FF5 to work? I'm hoping to get a fast browser to work as I'm running this Puppy on a very old laptop. I was able to install FF4,x in PPM but was quite a bit slower than the SeaMonkey that came w/ this distribution.
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul 2011, 17:51    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Firefox 5, how "yesterday" LOL..
Im currently running Firefox 8 from the "Nightly" channel..
Nightly is the replacement for "Minefield" meaning 'for testing'..
Very fast, and has not crashed, Flash can be a pain tho...
But I dont install browsers, I run them from their dir instead, from outside my save file..
I currently have FF 4.0.1, FF 5, and Nightly all sharing one /root/.mozilla for history and bookmarks...
5 is faster than 4, but Nightly screams...

Attached are the requested libs...
libs.tar.gz
Description  unpack to /usr/lib
gz

Download 
Filename  libs.tar.gz 
Filesize  509.71 KB 
Downloaded  496 Time(s) 

Puppy since 2.15CE...
eppoh

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug 2011, 16:29    Post subject:  

Installed 5 on my Lenny 4.7.6 but Flash not running. Can't open any videos or interactive charts
Changes

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:27    Post subject:  

jonwee wrote:
Hi, I'm new to Puppy Linux and I've installed Wary Puppy 5.1.2 yesterday. I tried to install Firefox, both the the latest one downloaded from Mozilla's site and the .pet downloaded from the link provided by playdayz but couldn't get them to run. Looks like some libraries such as libdbus-1.so.3 are missing. I then checked for dependencies and no doubt, the following libraries are missing Sad :
<cut>

I just had this problem and fixed it, so I'm posting it here for others who might need it as this thread is the first to pop up in a google search for Firefox 5 in Puppy.

Download the .deb for libdbus from here, open it (7-zip under Windows opens deb files; under linux, use "ar vx filename" to extract it). Browse its contents until you find libdbus-1.so.3.4.0 and copy it in your Puppy's /usr/lib. Do NOT copy libdbus-1.so.3 from the deb file.
Open the terminal in Puppy and do
cd /usr/lib
ln -sf ./libdbus-1.so.3.4.0 ./libdbus-1.so.3

Then, Firefox should be able to start.
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: