Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 21:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 102 of 123 [1844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, ..., 121, 122, 123 Next
emil

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 08:54    Post subject:  

Hi saintless,
can you post your jwm configuration? Maybe I take time to play around again...
thanks,
emil
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 09:59    Post subject:  

emil wrote:
Hi saintless,
can you post your jwm configuration? Maybe I take time to play around again...
thanks,
emil

Hi, Emil,
I guess you ask for the gnome look jwmrc file.
Here is the original untouched file I got. Unzip it, copy it in /root and rename it to .jwmrc
Then click the refresh button.

In order to have the icons from the picture you will need to apt-get gnome-icon-theme package. You need only the 16x16 folder with icons.

Edit: Because I got this file some time ago I forgot where the source page is located. I was able to find it again today:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1097536
We have this base gnome jwmrc configuration thanks to Kerry_s!
jwmrc-gnome.tar.gz
Description  gnome-jwmrc-look
gz

Download 
Filename  jwmrc-gnome.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.96 KB 
Downloaded  217 Time(s) 

Last edited by saintless on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 04:12; edited 1 time in total
nooby

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:08    Post subject:  

Nope sorry I have three netbooks and one laptob and they are.
Two Acer D250 and D255 and Asus EEEPC 900 and PackardBell A6
which is a sub division of Acer. So no Toshiba at all.

greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 05:10    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
The important thing - you don't have internet connection! Please, try the original Pussy linux or 1-HotRox on the same laptop and write do you have internet connection with them?
I just tried the original Pussy and have the same condition with wireless - I can not find any way to enter my wireless key and get it to connect. When I right click the network icon (bottom right, in the system tray) it says that it can not find any wireless networks.

If I type lsmod it does appear that the module for the wireless interface is loaded. (I couldn't see the whole list of modules because there were too many to display on one screen, and there is no scroll bar).

Forgot to try sound. Will try again later.
Will also try wireless on another PC.

One other issue: I can find my usb drives in the media section, but cannot see my internal hard drive. Could not find anything like pmount or MUT to mount the drive?
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 05:49    Post subject:  

Just to clarify - when I use your new version of Pussy I do have sound, and I am able to connect via wired network (posting from H3V now...). Still no wireless though.

Also, with the new Pussy I can see all of my drives - both usb and internal.

I must say this new Pussy is really very good! Well done. If I can get wireless going I will be really happy. Smile
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 07:54    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
If I can get wireless going I will be really happy. Smile

Thanks for the feedback, Greengeek. This remastered version is made for my needs. Glad you like it.
Unfortunately I can't help you with the wireless network. I don't have one and I can not test it. I suspect the hardware for your Toshiba is not well supported in Debian live CD (the parent of Pussy linux).
Wicd should detect it automatic.
I will try to find some information in google. I'm sure there is a way to make it work.

sickgut

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 09:46    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
greengeek wrote:
If I can get wireless going I will be really happy. Smile

Thanks for the feedback, Greengeek. This remastered version is made for my needs. Glad you like it.
Unfortunately I can't help you with the wireless network. I don't have one and I can not test it. I suspect the hardware for your Toshiba is not well supported in Debian live CD (the parent of Pussy linux).
Wicd should detect it automatic.
I will try to find some information in google. I'm sure there is a way to make it work.

there is a option with the normal wicd network manager that lets you use the ioctl or the standard backend, use the ioctl backend. This is what i do on my toshiba for wireless, cant use it unless i select that option. Click on wicd network manager the standard one in pussy and look very carefully and read everything on the screen and you will find what im talking about

wicd is a front end for 2 types of network connection, one using the ifup/ ifdown method (old school) and one using the newer method. Alot of newer computers contain network adaptors that cannot be used with the normal ifup/ ifdown way from the console or with a gui.

also make sure your not trying to discover a hidden network access point
sickgut

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 09:50    Post subject:  

sry people....

im kinda of waiting for the rasp pi to be delivered, i still dont have one.
the new version of pussy base will be make at the same time as the rasp pi
i see this as the best way to synch everything to be the same while its fresh in my mind. Ill make the bases for the various versions... and after that is done ill add the gui to rasp pi so and other things so its a full OS and im going to try to add an added wow factor in the rasp pi version to show off its media/ graphics power, not a see though 3d desktop type thing that not what i mean, the interface for the OS will be fairly basic, i mean to show off its graphics abilities by including games and demo type things.... but it will also include some basic programming type things.
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 12:38    Post subject:  

I found ioctl option under wicd --> Preferences --> Advanced settings --> Backend.
You can change it from external to ioctl.
For me ioctl gives text "Not supported" but I guess it is because I don't have wireless hardware.

sickgut

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 14:14    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
I found ioctl option under wicd --> Preferences --> Advanced settings --> Backend.
You can change it from external to ioctl.
For me ioctl gives text "Not supported" but I guess it is because I don't have wireless hardware.

i think the not supported thing comes up even with wifi hardware, it not that it wont work or there is no driver for your wifi, it means it isnt officially supported by the wicd people and the debian team as far as diagnosing problems or asking for help, its like an after thought that added to the program that is like a hack that may very well help alot of people but dont come to me crying if it doesnt kinda thing. In the same way sid and wheezy arnt officially supported

i do find alot of the wording and language very curious in alot of the programs in the debian type OSes and wicd as well, make you think one option does something else other than what it really does or says something wont work when it really does etc...
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 15:53    Post subject:  

Thank you both for your help.

I tried Pussy on an Acer Aspire One netbook this morning - and WiCD does detect my wireless network with this hardware (didn't expect that because this is a much newer machine than the Toshiba and I thought it might have less support). However, although the wireless network is visible, and the passkey is accepted, it failed to receive an IP address. (Also, when I then booted into my normal puppy the router would still not allocate an IP address there either. I have seen this before with earlier puppies that had faulty dhcpcd code and locked up my routers dhcp server, so I will do a bit more testing to see if it was Pussy that triggered the lockup, or just coincidence)

I will try the ioctl with my Tosh laptop over the weekend.
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 16:14    Post subject:  

OK, that worked - rebooted into Pussy after having reset the router and I am now posting this from the Acer Aspire One netbook using Firefox via wireless thru the Thomson router. Very happy.

Touchpad seems a bit weird though - is there something like a flsynclient ?
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 16:38    Post subject:  

Uh Oh. Not so good. It is definitely Pussy that is putting my wireless router into a funny state. I had this problem with some other puppies as well: Ttuxxxs 214x series, some of the recent Wary's, and Cielo Wary 5 also.

I guess it is something odd with the router code in my Thomson, but what happens is that the dhcp request from Pussy is successful ONCE only, and then puts the router into a state where future dhcp requests will be ignored and no further IP addresses will be issued. Powering off/on the router is the only way to correct the situation.

I see that WiCD has a setting to change from "automatic" dhcp to dhdpcd so I will give that a go later and see if it helps. Just thought I would report it in case anyone else has probs with Pussy wireless.
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012, 23:20    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:

Hi, Greengeek,
apt-get this package and see if it works well with your touchpad:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Maybe this also can help you:
http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad

The wireless router problem - if you find a solution, please, write the exact steps and I will add your solution in the remastered version.

sickgut

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 07:33    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
OK, that worked - rebooted into Pussy after having reset the router and I am now posting this from the Acer Aspire One netbook using Firefox via wireless thru the Thomson router. Very happy.

glad you got it working
wicd isnt perfect, but hey.... nothing in linux is or anything to do with computers is ever reliable

Last edited by sickgut on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 07:41; edited 1 time in total
Page 102 of 123 [1844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, ..., 121, 122, 123 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: