Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sickgut

#1531 Post by sickgut »

greengeek wrote:.
Uh Oh. Not so good. It is definitely Pussy that is putting my wireless router into a funny state. I had this problem with some other puppies as well: Ttuxxxs 214x series, some of the recent Wary's, and Cielo Wary 5 also.

I guess it is something odd with the router code in my Thomson, but what happens is that the dhcp request from Pussy is successful ONCE only, and then puts the router into a state where future dhcp requests will be ignored and no further IP addresses will be issued. Powering off/on the router is the only way to correct the situation.

I see that WiCD has a setting to change from "automatic" dhcp to dhdpcd so I will give that a go later and see if it helps. Just thought I would report it in case anyone else has probs with Pussy wireless.
its my experience that pretty much all routers arnt reliable. I got a $139 router here but i need to reset it every couple of days.

however..... if you can get your head around setting a static ip address on your computers in your puppy and pussy and on your router.... you will notice that these router fails will be reduced.

routers are running on an arm cpu with a bare basic linux OS, any OS isnt very reliable.

but yeah there could very well be something happening with puppy and pussy config but its just impossible to work the issue out without sitting in front of your computer and router to solve it.

if you can use ethernet rather than wireless you will also reduce the drop out issues and the need to reset the router.

aarf

#1532 Post by aarf »

remote desktop via ether net to probe the wifi situation?

Sleaker

#1533 Post by Sleaker »

there's so many pages here that I couldn't reall find if anyone asked this yet, but is it possible to install .pet packages in this distro? or does it exclusively use the debian package management. Jsut asking this because I'm wanting to try and get Puppy Arcade into a newer distro/fully debian based.

Any thoughts?

aarf

#1534 Post by aarf »

Sleaker wrote:there's so many pages here that I couldn't reall find if anyone asked this yet, but is it possible to install .pet packages in this distro? or does it exclusively use the debian package management. Jsut asking this because I'm wanting to try and get Puppy Arcade into a newer distro/fully debian based.

Any thoughts?
if there is not something similar in debian, you could try renaming the pet to tar.gz, click it open and copy the extracted contents to pussy then cross your fingers and try and run it in a terminal.

Sleaker

#1535 Post by Sleaker »

aarf wrote:if there is not something similar in debian, you could try renaming the pet to tar.gz, click it open and copy the extracted contents to pussy then cross your fingers and try and run it in a terminal.
Ok thanks, I'm not too familiar with puppy, as I was trying to find a distro similar to Puppy Arcade or a debian based arcade frontend. i'll give it a go and see what happens :)

saintless

#1536 Post by saintless »

Sleaker wrote:I was trying to find a distro similar to Puppy Arcade or a debian based arcade frontend.
Check out here also:
http://knoppixmame.sourceforge.net/

Sleaker

#1537 Post by Sleaker »

saintless wrote:
Sleaker wrote:I was trying to find a distro similar to Puppy Arcade or a debian based arcade frontend.
Check out here also:
http://knoppixmame.sourceforge.net/
Yah I saw that, but it is a 2 year old distro, and didn't seem to be active. Also it looked like it was really only for MAME, which I don't really intend to use that much of. Thanks for looking around! I appreciate the help in my quest to find something :)

RSH

#1538 Post by RSH »

Hi,

i have re-discovered an old artwork from 2003. Probably a nice Pussy-Wallpaper?

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

saintless

#1539 Post by saintless »

RSH wrote:Hi,
i have re-discovered an old artwork from 2003. Probably a nice Pussy-Wallpaper?
Thanks, RSH. It is really a nice one. I'm sure it is hard to find such a picture. I think we should include some of the best alternative desktop backgrounds in the iso.

RSH

#1540 Post by RSH »

Did search again and then found another one (i just could remember this one)

SpaceCats2002-01.jpg

SpaceCats2002-02.jpg

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

enhu

#1541 Post by enhu »

I haven't read everything here sorry.
I just wanted to try so can you guys show me your menu.lst entry for pussy?

saintless

#1542 Post by saintless »

enhu wrote:I haven't read everything here sorry.
I just wanted to try so can you guys show me your menu.lst entry for pussy?
Here is mine for Grub Legacy:

Code: Select all

title Pussy Linux Beta 2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live config persistent swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin username=root password=pussy
initrd /live/initrd.img
boot
This one is for Grub 2 from the Readme.txt on the site:

menuentry 'Pussy live peristent' {
set root='(hd0,1)'
echo	'Meowing the kernel ...'
linux	/live/vmlinuz boot=live config  persistent autologin quickreboot noprompt swapon username=root password=pussy
echo	'Almost over meowing now ...'
initrd	/live/initrd.img 
}

enhu

#1543 Post by enhu »

thanks a lot saintless.

saintless

#1544 Post by saintless »

Thanks to SFR we now have right mouse button click cut/copy/paste ROX option for Pussy linux also.
Unzip the attached archive and copy the two folders apps and MultiCopyPaste from MultiCopyPaste-1.1/usr/local to /usr/local

Then run the script /MultiCopyPaste-1.1/pinstall.sh which will create three symlinks in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo/

Then select a file/files or folder/folders to be copied and right mouse button click on them. Choose SendTo and you will see these options:

Multi-Copy (New) creates a new list of items to be copied.
Multi-Copy (Add) adds selected items to existed list.
Multi-Paste opens xterm window and starts copying.

To paste the selected files browse to destination place -> select one or more folders -> right-click -> SendTo -> Multi-Paste
After copying you will see an option to delete all source files and folders. If you don't want to delete them just ignore the question and close the xterm window.

More information from the source you can find here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77003
Attachments
SFR_copy_paste_ROX.tar.gz
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

greengeek

#1545 Post by greengeek »

I am convinced that my Pussy wireless problems are caused by incorrect dhcpcd code. Unfortunately I do not know how to "add in" a new version of dhcpcd.

I did look on various Debian sites to find another version of dhcpcd, and I tried swapping it in place of the Pussy dhcpcd file - but it is obvious that is not enough. There seem to be other files that need to be changed too, but there seem to be so many debian files to choose from and I don't know how to select the correct one and what to do with it.

Does anyone have any idea what is necessary to remove the old dhcpcd and replace it with a new one that is compatible with Pussy?

saintless

#1546 Post by saintless »

greengeek wrote:Does anyone have any idea what is necessary to remove the old dhcpcd and replace it with a new one that is compatible with Pussy?
The only way I can think of is to create live-rw save file and to run:

apt-get update

apt-get --purge remove dhcpcd
Then

apt-get autoremove
This way you will uninstall all dhcpcd related packages. They will be still in the main squash file and if you remove your live-rw save file you will get them working again.
Then reboot and run:

apt-get install dhcpcd
In /var/cache/apt/archives you will find all downloaded packages with their versions and you can search for the newer versions later.
In /live/cow you will find all changed files after the new dhcpcd installation.
Then you will know which packages you will need and what configuration files have to be changed in order to get dhcpcd working.
You can also use a snapshot instead live-rw save file.

greengeek

#1547 Post by greengeek »

Thank you, that gives me plenty to try. Can you give me a tip on how to create a live-rw save file? Many thanks for any info.

saintless

#1548 Post by saintless »

This is from the readme.txt on the site:
To create a new empty live-rw save file do this:

dd if=/dev/null of=live-rw bs=1M seek=1000
mkfs.ext2 -F "live-rw"
The above example makes a 1GB save file containing an ext2 filesystem. Note that the number following the seek command is the size of the file created in MBs. After this has been done, simply move the file to a partition on any removable media or HDD and Pussy will automatically use it. This type of save file will work on both usb and cdrom versions.
You also have 1Gb empty save file in archive in Catroll-panel -> save-file -> normal
Just extract it and put it on the top of any vfat or ext partition. It has to be on top of the partition, not inside any folder. You also need the word persistent in your kernel line in grub menu list.

greengeek

#1549 Post by greengeek »

Thanks saintless - I didn't initially understand what you meant by the readme "on the site" but now I realise you mean the pussycatforest site. I've now found the readme and will try to give it an in-depth read and learn a bit more. I am reasonably familiar with puppies but a little out of my depth in the cat world :-)

sickgut

#1550 Post by sickgut »

i found this interesting quote. I think i will find an excuse to include it in the "artwork" of pussy linux somewhere in the OS of the new batch of OSes that will be spawned off when i finally get my rasp pi:

its a quote from einstein, he actually wrote or said this:

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

This guy pretty much read my mind when i was looking for fresh new things to include in pussy.

--------------------

also i apologize for the current stagnation of the project. I will update the current pussy that you all know and some love. It will be updated to include all the fixes etc and things like the browser and flash version will be updated as well. I am just not in work mode right now. I am waiting for my Rasp Pi to arrive, when it does ill go back into work mode and i will get all this done, along with the base for the new better more future proof pussy linux.

In the mean time, ill pop in and meow around a bit here and there,