Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cthisbear

#1636 Post by cthisbear »

" i will charge a fee for everything else, because they cost money.

Shipping CD's/ DVD's, manuals USB sticks, SD cards are all exchanged
for relevant currency. "

""""""""

Nothing wrong with that....keep on developing it mate.

Chris.

sickgut

#1637 Post by sickgut »

i have found a company here in australia that will be able to provide printed boxes, cd/ dvd's etc and customized USB sticks as well as manuals etc. However, i havnt found any good sticker (small stickers to put on your computer like the Intel Inside (TM) but with some Pussy related slogan) supplier that is cheap and willing to do the smaller size(s).

Im going to get CDs and DVDs printed and suitable packaging etc... but the DVDs and CDs i order will be blank (not design/ label blank... i mean data blank) so when anyone orders Pussy on CD/DVD ill burn the latest version on the media and then ship it. This will be best other wise i may be caught holding 100's of Pussy OS DVD's that are out of date because a newer version has been released.

Pussy downloads are still going strong, so far this month there has been more than 50GB downloaded from the website.

[Edit:] its the 29th of September and so far this month 75.1GB of pussy has been downloaded :)

sickgut

#1638 Post by sickgut »

As mentioned before, im currently adding to the pussy-xtra iso to create a jam packed DVD version....

Packages added so far are:

mozilla-plugin-vlc - play media embedded in websites like .wav or .mp3
rosegarden - music composition and MIDI workstation
audacity - digital audio workstation/ wave editor
mypaint - paint program
jack - MIDI connection kit
qjackctl - utility to manage jack
beep - type beep at the console and the pc speaker will beep
bb - demo of libaa ascii graphical library set to music
xsidplay + libsidplay2 + sidplay-base - X and console C64 music player
dcraw and fraw - read raw image data from files or cameras
cups-driver-gutenprint (included cups) - more printing functionality
escputil - epson printer maintenance utils
photon - a static HTML gallery generator
blender - no idea, some people have requested it before 3D modeling??
wimgs3d - same kinda thing as blender i think

gimp plugins:
gimp-data-extras- An extra set of brushes, palettes, and gradients
gimp-dds - DirectDraw Surface) plugin for the gimp
gimp-resynthesizer: Gimp plugin for texture synthesis
gtkam-gimp -gimp plugin to open digital camera pictures
gimp-gutenprint - print plugin for the GIMP
gimp-gmic - GIMP plugin for GREYC's Magic Image Converter
gimp2.0-quiteinsane: A Qt based SANE plugin for GIMP 2.0
gimp-plugin-registry - repository of optional extensions for The GIMP
gimp-gap - gimp animation package
gimp-ufraw - gimp imported for raw camera images
abr2gbr - Converts PhotoShop brushes to GIMP
gimp-dcraw - GIMP plug-in for loading RAW digital photos

Planning on adding all the soft synth software and a large repository of free music in midi/ mod/ sid formats also QB64, similar to MS Quick Basic.

If anyone here wants anything added at all then please post. The idea is to be left with a completely full DVD iso that lets you do absolutely everything possibly imaginable all in one OS. Im adding all the video/ drawing and music stuff first.

Also there will be every popular modern browser installed with 2 versions of Firefox, one will be the older iceweasel in the debian squeeze repos simply to add a little backwards compatibility and so that the user can get support from the debian chat chans if need be, because they support that firefox version.... and the newest one.

Its going to be quite a task to fill the DVD iso

Im still waiting for proper debian drivers for the Rasp Pi GPU, until that happens, the pussy-pie project is on hold, altho the pussy-pie-server is all ready to go and is available for download.

Ill check in again when i have more news.

greengeek

#1639 Post by greengeek »

sickgut - if you are struggling to fill the dvd can I make a suggestion - I would love to see PXE ability built in - by which I mean that the dvd would contain the live Pussy OS, and also the PXE server functionality (with autostart-at-boot), plus also a copy of the Pussy OS already modified to be netbootable. (I have recently done this with my modified version of PupServer435 and it works well).http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80620

This would mean that the live dvd would immediately be able to serve Pussy across the home network to any other machine that wanted to boot from the network via PXE (eg: a diskless machine, or thinclient etc).

The user would not have to do any modifying of the pussy files to make them netbootable - it would already have been done and they are just sitting waiting on the dvd ready for a pxe request.

sickgut

#1640 Post by sickgut »

greengeek wrote:sickgut - if you are struggling to fill the dvd can I make a suggestion - I would love to see PXE ability built in - by which I mean that the dvd would contain the live Pussy OS, and also the PXE server functionality (with autostart-at-boot), plus also a copy of the Pussy OS already modified to be netbootable. (I have recently done this with my modified version of PupServer435 and it works well).http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80620

This would mean that the live dvd would immediately be able to serve Pussy across the home network to any other machine that wanted to boot from the network via PXE (eg: a diskless machine, or thinclient etc).

The user would not have to do any modifying of the pussy files to make them netbootable - it would already have been done and they are just sitting waiting on the dvd ready for a pxe request.
i wll do some experimenting, a few things there i will need to learn

sickgut

#1641 Post by sickgut »

Today i got the idea to scan through Ubuntu Studio's package selection, not because i want to create anything remotely similar but while i am sorting out the audio and video stuff i thought doing this would give me a few ideas and also introduce me to packages that i have no seen/ used/ heard of.

im cross referencing the package names with what is available in the debian repos and i think i have found 5 or 6 that would be good to include in Pussy. While i have been using Linux for quite a few years, i have generally stuck to a limited selection of packages for my own general use and so i am not really savvy to exactly what is out there and ready to use on Linux.

While i have experience with the audio side of things, i have none at all with video/ graphics sort of apps and if any video/ graphics experts would like to PM me or post here the names of the programs they use then i would greatly appreciate it.

nooby

#1642 Post by nooby »

Here is a suggestion. Sadly it requires Java something
so that is a security risk? The 3D CGI program Make Human.

http://www.makehuman.org/

They have a Debian download. Would be cool if you tested
if that works with your PussyLinux. http://www.makehuman.org/release

Just a friendly suggestion. The reason I have not been able to test
is that I don't understand the Java install. Computer challenged among other faults
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

camfix

#1644 Post by camfix »

Hi guys;
After a brief unpleasant hospital visit I'm back.
I downloaded the Cinelerra pet.I am missing several "dependencies". Where do I find em ? How do I install em ?
Thanks Ev

sickgut

#1645 Post by sickgut »

camfix wrote:Hi guys;
After a brief unpleasant hospital visit I'm back.
I downloaded the Cinelerra pet.I am missing several "dependencies". Where do I find em ? How do I install em ?
Thanks Ev
Pussy doesnt use pets
the whole point of pussy was to make a puppy like OS that retains the debian method of software install.

syntax for installing software is to open a terminal and then type:

apt-get install programname

however you will need to run apt-get update first to refresh the program listing so the apt utility knows what progs are available.

you can browser the software you can install using this method by visiting:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/

For instance if you find an application in that list named: super-ant-raider
then to install that app you type: apt-get install super-ant-raider

This method automatically downloads and installs all dependencies etc.

sickgut

#1646 Post by sickgut »

Thanks buddy, seriously i mean that.... im finding new applications all the time... htere are so many free(ish) linux programs out there that i doubt i will ever get to test them all. This Pussy DVD is going to be absolutely epic.

sickgut

#1647 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:Here is a suggestion. Sadly it requires Java something
so that is a security risk? The 3D CGI program Make Human.

http://www.makehuman.org/

They have a Debian download. Would be cool if you tested
if that works with your PussyLinux. http://www.makehuman.org/release

Just a friendly suggestion. The reason I have not been able to test
is that I don't understand the Java install. Computer challenged among other faults
I dont worry about security risks, coming from a hacking background myself i know all to well that if some wants to breach security then they will do it no matter what measures you take, other than unplugging this system from the network.

I will check out that url. Thanks for your input.

sickgut

#1648 Post by sickgut »

This is doubling up a little but this is an update of the apps i have added to Pussy. THey are all the stock programs from the debian squeeze repos... anything that isnt in the debian squeeze repos will be added later and be installed statically in a directory that contains all the static apps.
Hopefully this list will grow to 5 or 6 times larger.

Packages added so far are:
xsane - scanner software for X
mozilla-plugin-vlc - play media embedded in websites like .wav or .mp3
rosegarden - music composition and MIDI workstation
audacity - digital audio workstation/ wave editor
mypaint - paint program
jack - MIDI connection kit
jack-tools - tool for jack
qjackctl - utility to manage jack
bitscope - monitor jack
patchage - patch bay for jack
beep - type beep at the console and the pc speaker will beep
bb - demo of libaa ascii graphical library set to music
xsidplay + libsidplay2 + sidplay-base - X and console C64 music player
dcraw and fraw - read raw image data from files or cameras
cups-driver-gutenprint (included cups) - more printing functionality
escputil - epson printer maintenance utils
photon - a static HTML gallery generator
blender - no idea, some people have requested it before 3D modeling??
wimgs3d - same kinda thing as blender i think
ardour - digital audio workstation
vkeybd - Virtual Keyboard program (MIDI keyboard)
hydrogen + hydrogen-extra-drumkits - MIDI drum sequencer
timemachine - JACK audio recorder for spontaneous and conservatory use
bristol + bristol-data + monobristol - retro soft synth(s) monobristol is the GUI
fluidsynth + qsynth - softsynth, qsynth is the front end
aconnectgui - alsa/ jack connection kit
seq24 - MIDI sequencer
sooperlooper - looping sampler
jack-rack - effects "rack" for jack
fluid-soundfont-gm - 149MB of soundfonts

gimp plugins:
gimp-data-extras- An extra set of brushes, palettes, and gradients
gimp-dds - DirectDraw Surface) plugin for the gimp
gimp-resynthesizer: Gimp plugin for texture synthesis
gtkam-gimp -gimp plugin to open digital camera pictures
gimp-gutenprint - print plugin for the GIMP
gimp-gmic - GIMP plugin for GREYC's Magic Image Converter
gimp2.0-quiteinsane: A Qt based SANE plugin for GIMP 2.0
gimp-plugin-registry - repository of optional extensions for The GIMP
gimp-gap - gimp animation package
gimp-ufraw - gimp imported for raw camera images
abr2gbr - Converts PhotoShop brushes to GIMP
gimp-dcraw - GIMP plug-in for loading RAW digital photos

video editing:
kdenlive kino openmovieeditor stopmotion dvgrab

Packages that will be added statically or with some other trickery
due to not being available for debian squeeze:

freebirth shaketracker jackbeat qb64 (quick basic 64)

sickgut

#1649 Post by sickgut »

Due to the fact that Pussy has wine installed and working, i welcome everyone to suggest free Windows apps that work on wine. Do you have a cousin or uncle or sibling that develops Windows games or other interesting Windows progs that work on wine? then let me know, i will be more than happy to include the program in Pussy

cthisbear

#1650 Post by cthisbear »

sickgut

#1651 Post by sickgut »

cthisbear wrote:"free Windows apps"

Teamviewer???

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Linux

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux.aspx

""""""

Portable apps

http://portableapps.com/apps

Chris.
Thanks for the url to the portable apps especially. Obviously i will install native Linux versions of software if possible first, but if there is no linux version then i have no problem including progs that run on wine, after all its a nice test to see if your wine is working and also good to showcase just how well linux can run some windows apps.

Expanding on this subject i am considering including a windows version of one of the popular web browsers for the express purpose of messing with websites that track the kind of OS you are using, the browser and the screen resolution etc. I spose some people would appreciate that, most wouldnt.

I will also try to isolate some of the more interesting network tools from the Backtrack OS that could lend themselves to be shoehorned into Pussy. I dont know the specific licensing of those apps, and also there is a difference between installing them on Pussy and configuring them correctly.

This brings me to another point, i was wanting to do the DVD version of Pussy in one release and be done with it, however due to the sheer enormity (ie, the number of packages being added) of the project, it looks as tho there will be 2 releases. One will be an early release that simply includes all the new apps, and the final release will make sure that all these new apps are working correctly and configured correctly and with default settings made to default itself to settings that will be practical for the type of desktop environment etc that is being used.

The USB .img image wont be made available for the first release but it will be made available for the final release. Depending on the final size of the end product, the USB .img version may end up being an image for 8GB USB sticks/ SD cards and not for the smaller 4GB ones. This is because the DVD size im hoping to work to is 4.3GB or something... whatever it is that fills a DVD-R. 4GB USB sticks are smaller than a DVD and the working space of most of them is more like 3.8GB rather than 4GB. The 8GB USB stick image will have persistence enabled and a function in the catroll-panel that deletes the save file and creates a new one so that the USB stick can be restored to default settings.

sickgut

#1652 Post by sickgut »

instead of spamming the thread with endless package list updates to keep yall informed about what im adding to Pussy to make the new DVD version, i am keeping an up to date manually maintained "log" of what is already added on the website.

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux ... s-list.txt

if that is too much to remember then just goto the website:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info

click "pussy linux" then you can find the pussy dvd packages text file among all the other pussy related files

sickgut

#1653 Post by sickgut »

After adding maybe one third to a half of all the extra apps, RAM usage has jumped from 116mb to 154mb on boot (256mb virtual box session with 600mb swap partition)

there are a few things like gnome-bluetooth that start during the boot process and hog resources even if the user isnt using any bluetooth devices or accesses the program. By removing just this one package, i saved nearly 9mb of RAM usage.

I would like to add as much functionality as possible but not at the expense of efficiency. Most background running apps like this used to have an option you could set where they would either load and stay ready during boot, or would spawn on demand... with spawning on demand slower but doesnt hog resources when not in use....

Also i do not have any mobile phone or bluetooth capable device, nor have i used one. So i need to ask a question:

Does the current Pussy Xtra support bluetooth already?

If anyone has the ability to test this then i would be extremely grateful to find out how Pussy handles this. If it doesnt support bluetooth then i will need to add some kind of bluetooth functionality to this new Pussy DVD version i am working on, and i would appreciate any advice as to what bluetooth apps are preferred by Pussy/ debian/ ubuntu/ Puppy users (whatever works best an be shoehorned onto Pussy).

I have no idea how bluetooth works, and i cant test this myself, i havent installed anything specifically in Pussy to support bluetooth but no one seems to have complained about it either, so please forgive my newbie question :)

Other things i am going to possible need help with are CUPS (printing) and SAMBA (Linux to other OS networking). Saintless has CUPS configured correctly in his remastered iso and jbv released a squashfs with a correctly configured SAMBA... i may have to borrow from them if they dont mind :)

sickgut

#1654 Post by sickgut »

Having rediscovered the /etc/init.d/ directory, i will be adding a catroll-panel option to start and or stop any of the services listed in that dir that is practical.

For instance, timidity is running all the time in Pussy, however you can stop it by typing: /etc/init.d/timidity stop
and you can start it again by: /etc/init.d/timidity start

Suddenly what seemed so hard an hour ago is now so easy, using the above method is how i will manage what is loaded in and running and what is not, and also give the user the power to change this and the new catroll-panel section that deals with all this will be based around these very simple commands.

sickgut

#1655 Post by sickgut »

Added every kind of available firmware package from debian squeeze repos and RAM usage actually went down rather than up.