Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 21:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Is there a small music player for Wary?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
hoven

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 04:14    Post subject:  Is there a small music player for Wary?  

I don't like Pmusic. I can't get it to do what I need and end up using gmplayer.

I had used Audacious happily in Puppy 2 (only about 700k installed) but it seems to be a very large install size in Wary. I have the same trouble with Deadbeef and Consonance, the pet starts small but by the time the dependencies are added it takes 3MB or more.

So I have a few questions, why does Deadbeef have small pets (236KB) that are for versions other than Wary but the Wary pet is megabytes large?

Is there a simple music player for Wary? I just want something that can be used to play an mp3 or folder of mp3's by clicking on it, and be able to control volume in the program with the keyboard (or can Pmusic do that?). A display showing the mp3 details, length and time remaining would be good.

Edit:
Does Pmusic have any keyboard controls? It doesn't seem very light on resources either. Playing a song it uses 13MB ram and 14% to 25% cpu whereas GMplayer uses 10MB ram and stays steady at about 15% cpu.
jakfish

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 08:45    Post subject:  

Try xhippo. I think it's the leanest, and since your specs are basic, like mine, you'll enjoy its simple approach and its incredibly low use of resources.

Jake
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 09:12    Post subject:  

Yes, xhippo is the last word in minimalism. Get it here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10722
Packaged with lamip, it plays all the important audio formats: mp3, mp4/m4a/AAC, wma, ogg, flac, and wav.

If you're sure that you only want to play mp3's, go to the 5th post in that thread, and you can download just the xhippo gui, which by default will use Puppy's "madplay" for mp3 playback.
hoven

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:48    Post subject:  

Thanks, but I must have miscommunicated what I want as Xhippo appears to be nothing like it.

I gather it is just a playlist gui. I have no interest in that at all. I want control over the actual playing and volume of a song by keyboard and a graphical display of time, progress and volume level. I used Audacious previously in Puppy 2.17 and it is about 700kb, and uses little cpu and memory. I could just send a file or folder to it and it would play the file or contents of the folder.

It looks like to install Audacious in Wary is a much larger undertaking of multiple megabytes, same with Deadbeef. I'd like to understand why?

I tried Alsaplayer now as well. I can't figure out the keyboard shortcuts as they seem higgledy-piggledy with no sense in the layout but the real issue with it is it uses 25% cpu when GMplayer only uses 15%. So I can't see the point of bothering with Alsaplayer when GMplayer is already installed.

I also tried Moc Player which was actually surprisingly good and flexible given the size of the pet is 161Kb. My only problems with it so far is I can't seem to get it to play automatically on start-up and I hate the way that closing it only gets rid of the GUI and the process still runs.
stu90

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2011, 13:10    Post subject:  

If you dont mind using terminal - mplayer?
example - play all .mp3 files in directory:

cd /path/to/music/directory

mplayer *.mp3

mplayer -help for the keyboard options.

You can change the default audio player in the script /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer
zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul 2011, 01:38    Post subject:  

hoven wrote:
I don't like Pmusic.
I can't help it Smile

hoven wrote:
It doesn't seem very light on resources either. Playing a song it uses 13MB ram and 14% to 25% cpu whereas GMplayer uses 10MB ram and stays steady at about 15% cpu.
From the FAQ:
Code:
Can I trim Pmusic to run smooth on my old pc?
Yes, you can. After built your playlist:

- Click on the pmusic-icon in the tray will hide the gui. Navigate in playlist with the right-click menu.
- You can start the playlist with the Pmusic backend from a terminal (pmusic -b playlist.m3u). This uses the pmusic-engine, but no gui.

Note that you can build your own gui-preset. Pmusic will run much lighter without a progressbar.

hoven wrote:
Does Pmusic have any keyboard controls?
From the FAQ:
Code:
How can I control Pmusic by hotkeys in JWM?
The following code in $HOME/.jwm/jwmrc-personal plays next/previous song by ALT+right/left, and increases/decreases volume by ALT+up/down.

<Key mask="A" key="Up">exec:/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic -s volup</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Down">exec:/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic -s voldown</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Right">exec:/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic -s next</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Left">exec:/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic -s prev</Key>

Sigmund

disciple

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul 2011, 02:46    Post subject:  

Do you want something like 1by1?
The only options I am aware of are 1by1 using Wine, or some Java progam...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 03:57    Post subject: Consonance would fit need of most music lovers
Subject description: sans fioritures (Wary 511)

Wary 511 music has consonance included.. and other juke-boxes to try, as it is a puppy done especially for music lovers.
Juke-boxes first must do their job. Many will be eliminated at first casting. Not Consonance.
Menu Multimedia Wary 511 music : Consonance - Deadbeef - Goggles Music Manager - Gxine Media Player - LX Music Player - pMUsic - VLC -
And more...
Jonasz jazz.jpg
 Description   For french ladies (wallpaper available for them)
 Filesize   63.98 KB
 Viewed   72 Time(s)

Jonasz jazz.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: