Acer Aspire One D255E - continuing problems with card reader

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
myke

Acer Aspire One D255E - continuing problems with card reader

#1 Post by myke »

The only Puppy that recognizes my RHS ENE Technologies card reader is Fluppy 13 since Jemimah compiled the keucr driver for it as part of the kernel. I would be happy if other Puppies would include the driver as one of my favo(u)rite activities is exploring Puppy derivatives. I have attached the source driver in case any dev is interested.
Attachments
keucr.gz
Change extension from gz to tgz.
(63.65 KiB) Downloaded 878 times
Last edited by myke on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 15:02, edited 2 times in total.
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

myke, check if pemasu in his Snow Pup that is based on Lupu 5.2 things too if he also used that driver from Jemimah Fluppy. He used many other things like Ethernetcard drivers for Netbooks.

I have both Acer D250 and Acer D255-2Bws what ever difference that makes. MFG date 1009 if that means September 2010 or October 2009?

It has N450 or something while the older D250 only have N270 but that makes the older one much more slow but also cooler and less noisy the Fan run almost all the time on the D255 here at my place so I use the older one while it lasts and have the 255 as a backup in case something happen to the older one.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

myke

Snow Puppy and Fan

#3 Post by myke »

Hi nooby,
Re: Snow Puppy 14
I did try it because thought that with kernel 2.6.37, it would recognize the card reader as it is normally part of that kernel version but it didn't, so obviously the driver wasn't included.
Re: Fan
I can affirm that the fan is not on continuously with Fluppy 13 - the temperature varies from 34C to about 51C. When it gets to 51, the fan comes on and stays on until the hard drive cools down. (I am not sure why because there are a bunch of updates I do to the Startup folder including acerfand - and capslock_kill.sh, since I am always hitting the capslock key while typing).

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Sad about Snow 14 not having included that one. Write nicely to Pemasu and maybe he include it in Snow 15 he seems to care about us users so who knows.

I have card reader on my D250 too but have been lazy and not tested how it behaves.

I can confirm the temperature limits there. My react to the same temperatures. I am a stingy??? guy so I hate the noisy fan. More noisy than my older D250 relatively or subjectively, But I agree that your computer do demanding things way faster having a better CPU obviously.

Did yours have the ExpressGate thing with a special button for a Linux built into the BIOS ROM? or called up from Rom fast booting.

Mine did not. The Swedes did not want to pay for the extra features I Guess.

But puppy loads fast enough for me. Some 36 seconds that is all okay.

pemasu

#5 Post by pemasu »

myke. Could you test this with Snow Puppy-014.
I made quick compile and pet of the keucr.ko module.
If it works, I include it to the next version of Snow Puppy.
The pet has pinstall.sh script which just executes depmod.
The module loading (automatically or manually) is your job. I dont know how the module should work.
Attachments
keucr_2.6.35.7-lupe5-001.pet
(29.23 KiB) Downloaded 893 times

myke

Winner

#6 Post by myke »

Hi pemasu,
Re: Card Reader
Yes, executing the pet and after rebooting leads to successful recognition.

Re: Connect
The connect wizard does not work. Perhaps Frisbee would work with Snow Puppy. -- Sorry, I just noticed Frisbee was there in the menu. -- (This is the case for all Lupu pups and their derivatives). I keep a set of iso's, pets and sfs's on my 16GB SDHC card together with my docs, spreadsheets, etc.) One of the scripts I have, I use to connect on Lupu pups, which worked. I have attached it in case you are curious. (I'm not a programmer but an (advanced) user so if I remember correctly, it is from somewhere on the forum).

I will explore further and comment at the Snow Puppy topic.
Thanks for compiling the driver source and making the pet.
myke
Attachments
connect.sh.ace
connect.sh (rename to this - file not compressed)
(300 Bytes) Downloaded 742 times
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

pemasu

#7 Post by pemasu »

Thank you of your report.
Connect wizard not working ?. Should work. What was the problem ?
And yes, Frisbee is included.
Will check your script.

Cheers.

pemasu

#8 Post by pemasu »

myke. Your script needs modification to work in Snow Puppy:
dhcpcd line needs to spesify the location:

Code: Select all

# /usr/local/sbin/dhcpcd -I '' -t 30 -h puppypc -d wlan0
Otherwise the dhcpcd command is not executed.

dhcpcd is in the same location as in latest fluppies and needs the path spesification.

myke

Connection script

#9 Post by myke »

Hi pemasu,
Yes, I noticed the connect script hadn't worked. But Frisbee does, so on reboot, I ran Frisbee to get connected.
myke

myke

#10 Post by myke »

nooby,
I got a cheap machine - all of $200 Canadian + $27.85 double VAT (we have a federation so province and Feds both have their tax). It was cheap because the driver for the card reader was not loaded with Windows 7 Starter Ed. I installed Wubi (ubuntu inside windows), which then did its update and broke Windows.

So cheap machine = no special features. But it is lighter than my old AAO - weighs less than a kilo and has bigger screen - 25 cm diagonally plus a 160GB hard disk but cannot access first 15GB. Hope it lasts longer than my first one, which I bought in Aug. 2008 - died in Jan. 2011.

I partitioned my hard drive and installed Fluppy 13, Lubuntu 10.10 and Sabayon Linux 5.5. The Sabayon comes from Gentoo but I don't have to build apps (source pkgs) like Gentoo- can just install like Puppy or Ubuntu. Thanks to you (and pemasu), I also have Snow Puppy.

I have some favourite software that I run when I can (some when I used to have Windows - actually I still have Windows XP desktop for emergencies). I like treesheets for organizing myself, freeplane for when I am truly disorganized and libreoffice when I want to do stuff that is already organized. I also use gnumeric. Actually, have been having a problem with libreoffice so for doc files I use go-openoffice 3.2. I start all my letters and documents in Emacs (text-mode and long-lines-mode) then export. When I worked I used to use an esoteric mode called orgmode in Emacs but I am retired now - don't need it.

I don't miss M$ Office - I hate Word - I am always fighting Word when I use it. Actually, I fight sometimes with openoffice writer, too.

What I miss from Windows is a crazy Borland Delphi software package called Total Text Container. It is tree-outline software but the branches of the tree can be a calendar with agenda, a spreadsheet, a flowchart, a document, a text file or a mix of all these. Even in windows, you need to save all the time, globally and each node separately. It is unstable and I have never succeeded in getting it to work with wine. If I could program, I would build myself a package like that.

myke

P.S.: I also run KAMAS inside dosbox. it is outline software - the very best text outline software. Shareware that I bought in the '80s and why I don't like shareware. Author disappeared - software died. No one else has the source to take over and continue with it. That's why I don't like shareware.

dawnsboy

ENE Card Reader Module for Slack Pup

#11 Post by dawnsboy »

@myke

If you are interested I have posted a pet package for the ENE Card Reader here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=745

I compiled it in spup-100 on an Acer Aspire One AOD255-2301.

nooby

#12 Post by nooby »

Thanks Myke for retelling about the AAO that died. Oops then my Acer D250 bought 2009 or 2010 will soon die too :) And I love that it is so much more silent than the D255 that I bought 2011 as a backup Netook

dawnsboy do you know if that thing will work on Acer AAO D250 too?

myke

New Pet

#13 Post by myke »

Dawnsboy, will certainly try your pet, which I note is kernel-specific. Do you know off-hand what other Puppies beside spup-100 use this kernel version?

On another note, was advised by a fellow retiree/hobbyist that the kernel interface for usb devices has changed for later kernel versions (post 2.6.36?) and so the keucr source must be changed to reflect that.

Am not sure of the status of the keucr module for the later kernels. Think that the module status is staging. Not quite sure what that means. Might be some kind of beta status. I.e., there is an official module source but it is not an integral part of the kernel source.

The latest Debian distro and derivatives may include it as part of the kernel but Fedora and its derivatives don't. (Compiling for Fedora is harder than for Ubuntu since the former does not include the kernel-devel and kernel-header files, while the latter does).

My buddy successfully compiled keucr for both Pinguy (Ubuntu) and Kororaa (Fedora) but then the kernels were upgraded to new versions and he lost them again. Luckily you can still run them from an older kernel.

That is beyond my skill level.

myke

dawnsboy

#14 Post by dawnsboy »

@nooby

I do not know if it will work on the Acer D250. I would not be surprised if it does if it is the same card reader and you have spup-100 installed.

@myke

I have successfully compiled this using the same source code package in a couple of ubuntu based operating systems in addition to spup. The ubuntu derivatives used a 2.6.36.X kernel. I did need to vary the syntax to accomodate some differences in the kernel source packages but each one worked equally well.

I am not aware of another puplet using this kernel at the moment. Is there a specific puppy that you are interested in using this driver with?
That is beyond my skill level.
:D All of this is beyond my skill level. I just make it up as I go along.

myke

keucr module

#15 Post by myke »

Dawnsboy, I am interested in the latest Lucid Puppy (lupu-525) as it is an official pup. The kernel version is 2.6.33.1 (?) - not sure as I am in fatdog64 right now.

My buddy told me that the recipe he follows is:
  • 1. Get and unpack the source.
    2. Download the dev and header files for the kernel.
    3. Download the build essential files for the distro. (I guess what puppy calls the devx sfs)
    4. Run the make modules command:
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r` M=`pwd` modules
    5. Run the make modules install command:
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r` M=`pwd` modules_install
    6. Do the modprobe command for the module:
    modprobe keucr
[Sorry for the details, was a tech writer and an apps programmer in the previous century].:)

That should be it.

I don't know how that recipe should be modified to work in a puppy environment.

It worked for him with Ubuntu and Pinguy (an Ubuntu derivative) and with Kororaa (a Fedora derivative). However, I tried to help my friend with this recipe for a Fedora-based distro (Fuduntu) but we couldn't get the source to work even with the help of the dev in charge. (2.6.38 kernel).

myke

dawnsboy

#16 Post by dawnsboy »

The kernel version is 2.6.33.2 in Lupu 5.25. I would need the kernel sources to compile the module.

Your post looks about right. Only a minor adjustment for spup as linux-header needs to be changed.

pemasu

#17 Post by pemasu »

Wrong thread. Sorry. Post removed.
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 26 Apr 2011, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

myke

Reply to dawnsboy

#18 Post by myke »

Dawnsboy, my systems knowledge is not enough to understand your last post. Are you saying that the source for the card reader is needed? (Source at first post)

Or, more likely, that you don't have access to the kernel source for version 2.6.33.2?

I thought it was available in a download from:
http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.33.2/

[user name:puppy password linux]

Sorry about that,

myke

dawnsboy

#19 Post by dawnsboy »

That's it. Thanks.

dawnsboy

No Luck So Far

#20 Post by dawnsboy »

I had not trouble with building the keucr module for the ENE Card Reader in spup100 but I have had no luck so far in building the module for Puppy Linux (Lucid) 5.25. Here are the results of the initial "make" instruction:
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2'
CC [M] /root/keucr/usb.o
In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
from include/linux/slab.h:12,
from include/linux/percpu.h:5,
from include/linux/sched.h:77,
from /root/keucr/usb.c:1:
include/linux/mmzone.h:18:30: error: generated/bounds.h: No such file or directory
include/linux/mmzone.h:258:5: warning: "MAX_NR_ZONES" is not defined
include/linux/mmzone.h:260:7: warning: "MAX_NR_ZONES" is not defined
include/linux/mmzone.h:262:7: warning: "MAX_NR_ZONES" is not defined
In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
from include/linux/slab.h:12,
from include/linux/percpu.h:5,
from include/linux/sched.h:77,
from /root/keucr/usb.c:1:
include/linux/mmzone.h:300: error: 'MAX_NR_ZONES' undeclared here (not in a function)
In file included from include/linux/scatterlist.h:6,
from include/linux/dma-mapping.h:7,
from include/scsi/scsi_cmnd.h:4,
from /root/keucr/usb.c:12:
include/linux/mm.h:454:63: warning: "NR_PAGEFLAGS" is not defined
include/linux/mm.h:502:62: warning: "NR_PAGEFLAGS" is not defined
/root/keucr/usb.c: In function 'associate_dev':
/root/keucr/usb.c:293: error: implicit declaration of function 'usb_alloc_coherent'
/root/keucr/usb.c:293: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/root/keucr/usb.c:300: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/root/keucr/usb.c: In function 'dissociate_dev':
/root/keucr/usb.c:497: error: implicit declaration of function 'usb_free_coherent'
make[1]: *** [/root/keucr/usb.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/root/keucr] Error 2
Maybe someone can help us out with this.