How to make a customized multisession DVD?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
gcmartin

Can I make a new Multi-session CD from my running LiveCD?

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but, seems like it could be.

I have a running Multi-session LiveDVD that has several date-stamped saved sessions on it.
When my system is running, is there a procedure to make a "NEW" multi-session LiveDVD that is a combined base+all of the saved sessions (call it a "newbase")?

I want to make a current "point in time" LiveCD with all of the system additions made over the past year into a newbase? (I have no need, desire, or reason to make my Puppy onto a HDD).

Thanks in advance.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Yes indeed there is a way, and it couldn't be easier.
  • 1. Boot your multisession DVD in a DVD burner. Remove the multisession DVD from the burner and put a blank DVD in the burner.
    2. Find or download the Puppy iso used to make your multisession DVD.
    3. Burn that iso onto the blank DVD, using Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd.
    4. Click the Save icon on your desktop, which will save the first session on the newly burned DVD. This session will contain all the settings and installed programs from the old DVD. Alternatively, you can wait until you shut down and then tell Puppy to save to the DVD. However, if the save process fails for some reason, you'll have to reboot with the old DVD and then do it (try to save) again.
If all went well, you now have a new multisession DVD which, will boot into a Puppy that is identical to the one from your old DVD. You also still have the old DVD for a backup.

gcmartin

Can I make an ISO from my runnig system?

#3 Post by gcmartin »

@Flash, thanks for separating this. Its perfectly logical.

A follow-on set of questions
  • With my LiveCD system running with all of my changes, I assume there also is a procedure to run which will make the running system an ISO...Maybe?
Thanks for all of your help thus far. And, thanks for creating this "Multi-session LiveCD/DVD area in the forum.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 23 Jan 2011, 23:12, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Making an iso of a customized Puppy while it is running in RAM is above my pay grade. Anyway, I've never tried it. Never felt the need, actually. :)

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#simple script to remast
rm /etc/.XLOADED
mksquashfs / /mnt/sda1/pup_420.sfs -e /proc /initrd /tmp /archive /mnt /sys /pup_420.sfs
sync

#add pristine folders (out of current pup_xxx.sfs)...
mksquashfs /initrd/pup_ro2/proc /mnt/sda1/pup_420.sfs -keep-as-directory
sync
mksquashfs /initrd/pup_ro2/tmp /mnt/sda1/pup_420.sfs -keep-as-directory
sync
mksquashfs /initrd/pup_ro2/mnt /mnt/sda1/pup_420.sfs -keep-as-directory
sync
for a quick a dirty machine only while running ie sloppy remaster.
Just find / replace pup_420.sys. Does work on FatDog, I have a so many mini version remasters this one was found first.

What I like about this is if the pup_420.sys has a sister ZD_420.sys modules SFS all the used modules that made the system functional are in ram and will copy into the new pup_420.sys (size will bloat) also any other settings are now 'hard coded' into the main SFS and using pfix=ram does not really make you start from zero.

What I do is click on a puppy.iso and copy the iso insides to a folder. Using the above script after boot and configure to what I like. run above.

Then this script from a command line
cd./mnt/sda3/liveDVD_folder

#!/bin/bash
growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -D -R -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \.
eject /dev/sr0
both scripts are in the base of liveDVD_folder and travel within the DVD for use later.

:x

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

Here is a free-bie number 3 on remaster on the fly make a running save session.

Save current setting on the disk. (you could use the real version) but it does not show up and is buried deep in most situations.

#!/bin/sh
rm /etc/.XLOADED
for ONESFS in `ls -1 /initrd/pup_rw/*.sfs | tr "\n" " "`
  do
   REMSFS="$REMSFS -x $ONESFS"
  done
MYDATE="`date "+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`" #this will become the folder name on cd.
touch -c /.badfolders #update modifytime, so will get saved.
growisofs -M /dev/sr0 -D -R -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points -x /initrd/pup_rw/tmp $REMSFS -x /initrd/pup_rw/proc -x /initrd/pup_rw/var -x /initrd/pup_rw/initrd -x /initrd/pup_rw/mnt ${MYDATE}=/initrd/pup_rw 
If I seem to know a bit more than the avg. poster about DVD multisession, there is a reason.... :twisted: :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Ted. You the man! :D

By the way, did you see my experiment a while back, reversing the order in which Puppy loads the saved sessions from the DVD when it boots? I loaded the sessions beginning with the oldest first rather than the youngest. It worked fine.

So, is there a reason Puppy loads the sessions in reverse order when it boots?

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

Yes, deleted files stay deleted, if not reloaded from earlier. In theory suppose to load faster. If you do not delete big items then no real change. Also the Archive folder idea when added later made the backward order speed improvement less of a speed improvement.
There are a few ideas I use, some scripts above that did not get merged into puppylinux after I made DeVilDog ( the first puplet with DVD multisession, for those newer than 5 years ago ) I'll be adding those into iPuppy.
that involves more 'live' in active use such as streaming live MP4 streams into a savesession as a file, etc.
My one month of pay-as-you-go Internet is up on Monday , I'll go back to full lurk mode since I can only 'read' the Internet on my kindle 3G, expect to be back on-line 3rd week of August.

Ted Dog

updated

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

#!/bin/sh
#simple script to remast
rm /etc/.XLOADED
mksquashfs / fd64-520.sfs -comp xz -e /proc /initrd /tmp /archive /mnt /sys /fd64-520.sfs
sync

#add pristine folders (out of current pup_xxx.sfs)...
mksquashfs /initrd/pup_ro2/proc fd64-520.sfs -comp xz -keep-as-directory
sync
mksquashfs /initrd/pup_ro2/tmp fd64-520.sfs -comp xz -keep-as-directory
sync
mksquashfs /initrd/pup_ro2/mnt fd64-520.sfs -comp xz -keep-as-directory
sync

fatdog has xz compression built in, script updated for changes. test and shaved off 40M from old script :D