Ext2 to ext3 filesystem

Booting, installing, newbie
sjsrikanth

Ext2 to ext3 filesystem

#1 Post by sjsrikanth »

Hi,

I was running PL 5.25 frugal installs from my pendrive which is dead now..and then from my sd card , got a few filesystem errors repeatedly had to discard that installation thought puppy was hard on Flash drives (errors started especially trying to load huge sfs files) .... So I did a frugal install with a pupsave file in my harddisk on a ext2 partition.

After googling around I get a feel that ext3 is better and stable than ext2.
so my question is

1) can I change my ext2 to ext3 now
2) can I back up the ext2 installation and copy it in the new ext3 partition?
3)or is it better to leave my puppy alone.

I do not know much abt filesystems pls suggest..I dont wanna loose another installation.

rhadon

#2 Post by rhadon »

sjsrikanth wrote:After googling around I get a feel that ext3 is better and stable than ext2.
That is also my experience.
1) can I change my ext2 to ext3 now
Yes.
2) can I back up the ext2 installation and copy it in the new ext3 partition?
Yes. If you have a ext2 savevefile and want ext3, you could use convert-pupsave from PaulBx1.
3)or is it better to leave my puppy alone.
I would change, but at last it's your decision :wink: .

HTH

Rolf
Last edited by rhadon on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

p310don

#3 Post by p310don »

Hi,

Ext3 is more stable than ext2, especially in the case of improper shutdowns, from crashes or power failures, and user intervention!

There are a few questions to ask to assist your issue. What file system did you use for your save file? It asks whether you want ext2 or ext3 when you create it. You can tell by the name, .2fs or .3fs respectively.

If you have only just created your save file, and haven't modified your puppy, then it may be easiest to just start again, going ext3 all the way. If you have made modifications, and installed programs etc, then you can easily copy your save file to a flash drive, reformat your hard drive partition to ext3, or ext4, then copy it back and you'll be all set to go.

I'm not sure what would have caused your errors on your flash drives, except to say that depending on your flash drive, the ext* file systems can be harsher on them than FAT filesystems due to rewrites in the same area on the disk. EXT and NTFS aren't always good options for flash media, whereas FAT is better. Puppy is usually pretty good at minimising writes to a flash installation though, to preserve it.

Lastly, to ensure that you don't lose your installation, make a backup of your save file, either in a deeper directory, or on another partition or hard drive. Then, if in future you bork something, you can easily restore just that save file, and you have all your stuff back again!!

sjsrikanth

#4 Post by sjsrikanth »

Thank u guys..that was informative. Will try it and then mark this solved.

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

Would you be interested in having your pupsave on an internal HDD treated as though it's a pupsave on a Flash Drive?
So that you can then do the necessary so as to be able to...
Choose whether/when to manually save the session during the session...
And be given the choice "to save or not to save" the session at shut-down/reboot?