Puppy 5.25 flash player crashes in every browser

Please post any bugs you have found
Marlow89

Puppy 5.25 flash player crashes in every browser

#1 Post by Marlow89 »

Can anyone help with flash player crashes in the browser? I am using LuPu 5.25 and have tried every browser Chromium, Firefox, Seamonkey and Opera. Total beginner here so be gentle...
Thanks

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

I haven't had crashes in Lupu 5.25 with flash, but, is it a particular website, or all of them that is causing you the trouble?

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Be detailed what you mean by crash?

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Is it maybe that it hangs due to not enough RAM memory?
You don't say how much RAM you have?

Try the search in my signature and see if others have reported it too and if them solved it?

I have a very vague memory that it has been dealt with before. One only have to find the thread.

And now I remember

Adobe who makes the Flash Player reported that one of their versions did have a bug so them recommended an update to latest but that was some month or two ago.

Another thing to consider. Maybe them are sensitive to which kernel one have. If all else fails that could be something to look into.
LuPu 5.25
Do you use CD or DVD or USB or Frugal install or Full install. Does not such counts? I know too little.

Edit another thing.

I have Flash crashes too. Not every day but maybe three times a week?
Flash has crashed a text says. Then I set the permission in NoScript to accept that page and reload it and it does not crash anymore on that page.

Could you have some AdBlock or somethign that make it crash?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

TrooperPuppy

Experiencing Flash Crashing

#5 Post by TrooperPuppy »

I'm experiencing the same problem on two different PCs. Both have 2GB of memory and one is puppy 5.2.0 and the other is 5.2.5. One is using GMA950 and the other onboard SIS graphics. It's pretty much a stock build of puppy otherwise.

I've tried Chromium, Firefox, and the latest version of Chrome but after a few minutes of flash starts stuttering and then crashes. I'd appreciate any help with getting it fixed.

bigpup

Re: Experiencing Flash Crashing

#6 Post by bigpup »

TrooperPuppy wrote:I'm experiencing the same problem on two different PCs. Both have 2GB of memory and one is puppy 5.2.0 and the other is 5.2.5. One is using GMA950 and the other onboard SIS graphics. It's pretty much a stock build of puppy otherwise.

I've tried Chromium, Firefox, and the latest version of Chrome but after a few minutes of flash starts stuttering and then crashes. I'd appreciate any help with getting it fixed.
What is the download speed of your internet service?
What is the resolution of the Video?
240P, 360P etc.....?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jpeps

Re: Experiencing Flash Crashing

#7 Post by jpeps »

TrooperPuppy wrote:I'm experiencing the same problem on two different PCs. Both have 2GB of memory and one is puppy 5.2.0 and the other is 5.2.5. One is using GMA950 and the other onboard SIS graphics. It's pretty much a stock build of puppy otherwise.

I'm guessing it has more to do with the broadband connection. I had consistent problems with flash at busy times such as holidays or weekends. The CPU would bog down after a few minutes and everything start to freeze, requiring a reboot. I tried switching to Quirky, and got the same behavior...also with several browsers. Today I have no problems with the same sites.

edit: best advice is to use alternatives to flash when practical.

xman

525 mystery

#8 Post by xman »

I add a comment although I don't want hijack this topic.

I reported maybe similar behaviour or not earlier when I tried 525, and then rejected it. Multiple flash crashes in Firefox weren't the reason, I think, it was 525's desire to go permafrost under normal browsing, and forced shutdowns. I have no problems with broadband connection and I use same video resolution in Quirky and Wary without any problems.

PS. Quirky-130 video picture quality is best on Chrome12, then Opera 11.50, then Firefox 3.6.x, 4x or 5x, of 'three' browsers tested, ff versions not in performance order.

PS2. Latest Adobe Flash Player version is 10.3.181.34.
Last edited by xman on Wed 13 Jul 2011, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

dru5k1

#9 Post by dru5k1 »

ok, to update flash (mildly important maybe) you get it from softpedia http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 18853.html and unwrap it (just click on the .tar.gz file - puppy has an archive unwrapper-thingy - just click yes,yes,ok) , now replace (using two windows of rox-file-manager) the libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so and restart your browser(s) - flash is 10.3 ryt now, and you may have 10.1? (I don't even know which version of puppy you have, "so um", but that's what I've just done - hope it helps)

ok, and you are new to puppy? well when you open rox-file-manager (home desktop-icon) you can hit the / button on your keyboard and an address-bar will pop up in the bottom of the window, then you can hit backspace and/or type the first couple of letters of the directory you want (it'll automatically select it, based on the first letters) and hit enter to go to, maybe, /usr/share/backgrounds/? -or- /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/? (useful if you make a desktop shortcut as seen here: http://rhinoweb.us/howtocreatedesktopshortcut.htm)

dru5k1

#10 Post by dru5k1 »

ok, so I find like a minute later a latest flashplayer in .pet form http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67969

Bruce B

#11 Post by Bruce B »

I think I installed the latest. Only two days old. And I just uninstalled, in the hopes of finding out if this has been causing everything to randomly lock up. Maybe latest isn't greatest.

flashplayer11_b1_debug_lin_32_071311.tar.gz

~

xman

#12 Post by xman »

Latest Adobe Flash Player stable release is still 10.3.181.34, the stable one :wink: .

There is development version 11.0d1 = 11.0.1.60. As Adobe states "The technology is not final therefore we do not recommend this release be used on productions systems or for any mission- critical work".

I'm not flash developer, so I use development version only then, if stable one has widely known critical vulnerability, although I'm just now posting from Opera 12.00 pre-alpha 8) .

Bruce B

#13 Post by Bruce B »

This version has shown itself to good in my use

Filename: libflashplayer.so
Plugin: Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153

~

jpeps

#14 Post by jpeps »

Bruce B wrote:This version has shown itself to good in my use

Filename: libflashplayer.so
Plugin: Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153

~
I went back to 10.2.153.1, and everything works again. So much for 10.3.181.34.