HP C4340 multi-function printer/scanner

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
balaji.md

HP C4340 multi-function printer/scanner

#1 Post by balaji.md »

CUPS doesn't have the specific model's driver. But, the driver for HP 2200 works just fine. I installed the HP scan PET package from this forum and the scanner works fine also! Peasyscan is marvellous.

(The actual driver for windows is hundreds of megabytes and takes longer time to install than it takes to install windows itself! But, it still wouldn't communicate properly with the printer - lol)

lupu-525: Kernel 2.6.33.2
Acer Aspire One D255E
Intel Atom N455 (1.66GHz, 512KB cache)
1GB DDR3 Memory
250GB HDD
6 cell Li-ion Battery

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to hear that you got things working, but I'm a bit confused.

The hplip_print package definitely supports your Photosmart C4340 - did you not try it? However, I'm not surprised that your printer would also work as a Business Inkjet 2200 - many of the HP units are interchangeable.

I agree with your opinion of HP Windows drivers. I particularly dislike how they want to phone home to HP and sell you more ink.

balaji.md

#3 Post by balaji.md »

Just with a few clicks, selecting the 2200 model, the printer delivered a test page! Compared to what I had to do, to get the same printer working with windows (using the HP CD), it was an extremely small fraction of time and effort. So, didn't bother checking for specific drivers!

Same with the scanner. Importantly, the printer/scanner responds instantly to puppy than how it does on windows.

(Yes, with the HP CD in windows, for some reason, the print will stop in the middle - eventually the user will have to uninstall that massive software and install the barebone drivers to get the printer working!)