Trying to use an ACER 4:3 monitor instead of notebook screen

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
benny7440

Trying to use an ACER 4:3 monitor instead of notebook screen

#1 Post by benny7440 »

I'm not sure if this should be placed somewhere else but after searching a little decided to put it in here. Sorry if misplaced; let me know if there;s a more convenient forum/section for this.

Have been trying for about a week to use a Gateway crt screen because the VAIO VGN AR250G screen is damaged in 2 adjacent sections near the center of the screen. The added damaged area covers about 2/3 of the whole screen. As far as I know, that crt is good but never showed me anything (the power button was lit in green instead of amber, showing that there's a kind of communication/info flowing to it). So I decided to try an LCD Monitor (ACER 4:3 screen model AL 1706 A, version AL 1706 Ab).

After 'playing' with it for more than an hour never got to see the whole screen, just a rectangular portion centered at the lower middle half of about 80% of the full screen. The notebook's screen has an aspect ratio of 16:9, while the Acer lcd has a 4:3 one. Tried many combinations of apis from PL511 to ammend it but couldn't find a way of doing it. Apparently, the fact that the notebook has a wide screen takes some precedence over any other configuration that I want to use instead.

Would like to have some feedback upon this issue from anybody around on how to deal with it, thanks! :?:

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Some drivers seems to be set up that way. Them sense that the Laptop is 16:9 and then it does not help that the External screen is 4:3. The Laptop is priority of the way the programs interepret what to do.

Sometimes it helps if one change to IceWM from JWM or to some other such "Window" handler. It even helps to change to another Puppy.

But I hope others who know more than me can give more details and suggest changes in config files and such.

But as I know it is a known phenomena Say that I have tested at least 20 different Puppies on my small Netbook that is 16:9. Then at least 3 or a handful of Puppies behaved like you describe and all teh rest accepted that I want to make use of the 4:3. So I was drastic. I skip that handful and only make use of teh other 15 puppies. But if I really want to use such a puppy then I install iceWM on it and it shows in 4:3 no sweat!
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though