Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 31 Aug 2014, 06:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Dialup
Can't use dialup in VAIO vgn ar250g notebook...
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
benny7440

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2011, 13:25    Post_subject:  Can't use dialup in VAIO vgn ar250g notebook...
Sub_title: ...modem not recognized by any puppy used so far!

As far as I can remember I never got the internal modem of any laptop/notebook I've used (probably from 2004-5). Now, I'm willing to give it a serious try. Last year, in the early summer time they (the broadband co.) had a failure in the system & I was kept from the web for 5 straight days. Last Saturday it happened again, only this time it was back up next day. Since I've the right to have a dialup acct., which comes with the service I'm using now, as a backup, at least, I'm going to dig deep for a solution.

First of all, I used the "PupScan" utility that comes with PL511 (which I'm using right now) but I don't see anything recognizable there. Can someone point me in the right direction in order to try to detect which modem I have in this machine &, later, to establish a configuration for it in order I can call the ISP for setting things up?

Thanks in advanced!
tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2011, 22:59    Post_subject:  

benny7440 wrote:
I used the "PupScan" utility that comes with PL511

Well you're off to a bad start by trying to use Puppy 5.1/5.2.x (Lucid). As Barry has explained, its kernel is too new to support winmodem drivers. So Lucid 5.1/5.2.x, contains very few, if any, winmodem drivers.

You should be using the latest Wary 5.1.2
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.1.2/
which has a slightly older kernel, and includes an extensive range of winmodem drivers.
There's a chance your modem might work straight away. But if not ...

i) you should post your query in the forum thread dedicated to winmodems -
"Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57290
Our dial-up modem expert, rerwin, will be able to help you there.

ii) It helps rerwin to identify the exact device ID of your modem. So please run this command -
Code:
lspci -n

and post the results.

I just did a Google search for your Vaio VGN-AR250G, and it appears to have a Conexant HSF winmodem.
So I would venture a guess that the correct driver in Wary may be "hsfhda" somehow linked to the snd-hda-intel audio driver ? Anyway, boot up to Wary and see.
benny7440

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2011, 00:00    Post_subject:  

Thanks tempestuous, I'm already downloading the wary512 iso file from ibiblio. I don't know if the md5 checksum file there applies to the other file (the sfs) or not but I suspect it's not for the iso file. Hope it arrives ok.

If all is ok, I'm going to run that command from it & post to the said thread.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Dialup
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum