Wary 5.5 works, but can't tether via an Android

MerviK

Wary 5.5 works, but can't tether via an Android

#1 Post by MerviK »

Wary Puppy 5.5 works very well on my old pentium, but I can't configure the Internet connection to tether an Android - the same phone connected automagically with another Linux that had a newer Kernel. Is this a Kernel-thing? This automatic recognition of android phones?

Edit: The computer (with Wary) and the phone (with Android) are connected with an USB cable - file sharing works, but not as a router/modem (phone). Is this too vague and/or boring? :roll:

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

How I do it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77767

:::::

greengeek's advice....fair enough >>> on naming

" This name shouldn't be dependent on the model - you can change it to whatever makes it meaningful for you (eg: Chris_Android_AccessPoint)

If you leave it at the default it might be confusing as you might end up with some sort of conflict - especially in a busy commercial area. There are large numbers of Android phones out there now and it wont be long before everybody will be connecting to the internet this way - it is just so convenient! "

Welcome to Puppy.....Chris.

MerviK

#3 Post by MerviK »

Thanks. I'll look into the thread and tell you if anything happens.

MerviK

#4 Post by MerviK »

Seems like the trouble is in the USB-port of my old pentium - as I said, I am able to access the files within the phone, but not internet through it. I ran the same Linux in a (newer) PC and there was no problem in tethering. Strange hardware problem anyway, that the USB-port was kind of selectively bad.

Monsie

#5 Post by Monsie »

MerviK wrote:Seems like the trouble is in the USB-port of my old pentium - as I said, I am able to access the files within the phone, but not internet through it. I ran the same Linux in a (newer) PC and there was no problem in tethering. Strange hardware problem anyway, that the USB-port was kind of selectively bad.
If you can access files on your phone when it is plugged in, then it seems to me that your usb port must be okay.

You don't mention which version of Android you are using, nor the model of phone that you have... --this might be useful information.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

MerviK

#6 Post by MerviK »

Samsung gt-s6500. Android v. 2.3.6. The USB wire is also by Samsung. Hmm... Perhaps its the wire that doesn`t work? It's got letters "U6" printed on it (with smaller letters it says "made in china" of course). Maybe it's this specific USB-cord that works only partially with older USB-ports?

MerviK

#7 Post by MerviK »

Solved. The trick was *not* to select the USB-connection sharing option (from the phone menu), but let the dialer program recognise the device as a "modem" instead. This wasn't a Puppy issue at all, but a problem with Android (and the USB-port).

MerviK

#8 Post by MerviK »

With "USB-connection sharing" I meant the tethering option, that was not to be used in this case.