Enlightened Dpup 0.1.0 Alpha 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Iguleder

#1 Post by Iguleder »

About Enlightened Dpup

Here's my latest experiment - Enlightened Dpup, the blend of three wonderful worlds: Puppy, Debian and E17. This puplet is built from rock-solid Debian Squeeze packages and features a vanilla SVN snapshot of E17.

It's very minimalistic and in early alpha quality. Without E17 and Opera, it's about 80 MB. The only stuff you have are E17 (along with many useful modules), Aterm (a lightweight terminal emulator) and Opera (a fast browser). Funky 3D stuff (and a compositing window manager!) are supported out-of-the-box, since the equivalent of Lucid's Xorg_High is integrated.

There are no applications except those; if you want anything, you'll have to install it. If I update this (read the notes below), I might throw in a couple of basic applications such as Geany and LXTask, but I want it to be minimalistic and small.

The kernel is 2.6.32.42 at the moment. It's patched with BFS (a scheduler, if you know what this means), some Puppy customizations and generally, it's the fastest kernel I've ever tried on my weak hardware.

I also made a 64-bit version of this awesome kernel and it works perfectly on my hardware, but I find it useless to make a "hybrid" build with it at the moment.

Performance is very good on my netbook - the compositor works perfectly, while Macpup's doesn't - it shows some OpenGL-related error and drops to software mode. All my E17 builds under Lucid had this problem. Overall, I find it nicer to have E17 on dpup instead of Lucid.

General Notes

It was quite hard to get dpup working and even harder to make it truly barebones. I had to fix X (in other words, to get the desktop working) and some things may not work, since this is an early alpha.

There are no desktop icons for partitions; to mount partitions, you'll have to run Pmount. That's one example of the rough edges this alpha has.

Also, I must emphasize that even though I gave it a version number, there is a possibility that I won't update this, since I have a very busy lifestyle and an adventurous spirit.

Oh, and by the way, something you should know - you can get E17 as small as 6 MB and I think it's a shame nobody except the Macpup guys built a puplet around it. Opera is small too - you can easily stuff it in 9 MB.

If you find any bugs (and you will!), believe me, I know it sucks. But that's how things work in alpha builds.

I built this as a proof-of-concept, to lead the way for dpup and E17 puplets. It's very easy to rebuild this puplet using Woof, since there only 3 files required (except some packages).

E17 Notes

Enlightened Dpup's E17 comes in its vanilla form; you get the original E17 first-run wizard and everything is original, except one thing: the default Enlightenment menu is replaced with a Puppy-like menu I made, so you see the traditional Puppy categories in the applications menu.

Make sure you choose "Enlightenment" (should be the first entry) in the dialog which lets you choose the menu layout, otherwise you'll get a crippled menu.

Also, something you should be aware of - Enlightenment's file manager (which is also responsible for desktop icons) is unstable. You can always disable it by unloading its module.

If you want to reset E17's settings and start over, exit X (through the Enlightenment menu) and run this:

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/.e
Downloads

ISO: dpup-0.1.0-SCSI.iso (102 MB)
devx: devx_dpup_0.1.0.sfs (105 MB)
MD5: md5sums.txt
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

backi

Mounting Drives

#2 Post by backi »

Pmount cant mount my drives (Partitions , USB)

Iguleder

#3 Post by Iguleder »

It works here ... I'll wait for more reports and do my best to solve this issue.

I'm building heaps of packages at the moment - so far I have Geany, Xarchiver, gRun, Leafpad, Aterm, dhcpcd, xdg-user-dirs, xdg-utils, Flash, Viewnior, Yad and Zathura.

I think I'll do another build, this time with a 64-bit kernel and minimalistic applications.

backi

#4 Post by backi »

So far
thanks for your engagement

I like what your doing.

Stripe

#5 Post by Stripe »

thanks Iguleder

on downloading now

stripe

lithpr

#6 Post by lithpr »

Doh! Sounds fraking awesome!

EDIT: Dude, this could become huge.

James C

#7 Post by James C »

Just doing a quick test run live pfix=ram at the moment........ looks pretty solid for an Alpha. :)

Oh, no problems with PMount here.......working fine on other Linux partitions and just mounted a usb flash drive.

James C

#8 Post by James C »

Pretty good on this old hardware.....

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1035MB (158MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 16 Jul 2011 04:53:54 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.32 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 25 10:56:54 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.2 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: Enlightenment)
-Misc-
Uptime : 39 minutes
Load Average : 1.16, 0.77, 0.44

# glxgears
508 frames in 5.0 seconds = 101.525 FPS
504 frames in 5.0 seconds = 100.686 FPS
445 frames in 5.0 seconds = 88.921 FPS
484 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.683 FPS
482 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.305 FPS

I'll go ahead and do a quick install but looks good so far.

Billtoo

#9 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of 01.
I screwed up the application selection part I guess because I had no
xarchiver or a lot of other essential apps, xfe to the rescue from
dpup 485.
I've installed a bunch of stuff and dpup is running very well, I switched
to icewm.
PPM isn't working, I've been installing pets that I have and I've
compiled mplayer,umplayer,geany,icewm,htop,and grun.

Sat 16 Jul 2011 Operating System: Debian Puppy-0.1.0 Linux 2.6.32
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nv
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600
Core 0: 1603 1: 1603 2: 1603 3: 1603 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
# glxgears
2248 frames in 5.0 seconds = 449.412 FPS
2302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 460.396 FPS
2325 frames in 5.0 seconds = 464.955 FPS

Edit: As you can see I didn't read your Dpup intro before diving in, had fun for a few hours just the same :)

backi

#10 Post by backi »

Not able to mount Drives - Usb in Enlightenment.

But can do that with JWM Desktop Enviroment . But i only get read access to that NTFS Partition on my Drive.
Some idea?

puppyiso

#11 Post by puppyiso »

Iguleder, tried but I can not download. Please check the link. Any other link(s)?

해당 웹페

ragaman

#12 Post by ragaman »

Does the "Places" module run in this puplet?

peebee

Feedback

#13 Post by peebee »

Hi Iguleder

Had a bit of fun with this pup...

Was able to get a working wifi connection (loaded Frisbee to keep it maintained) and use Opera to surf the web + did a bit of exploring and configuration.

2 small problems:

- got an error message on first start up about a missing module (connman??) which I replied to with the remove module option....

- going into the reboot option in the system menu seems to go into a never ending setting screen attached - you can get out of it by using the logout alternative and then typing reboot at the console.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Iguleder

#14 Post by Iguleder »

The connman error is normal, it shows up because that module is left out in favor of SNS/Firsbee/PWireless/whatever.

And the restart problem - make sure the E17-related code appears in restartwm, wmpoweroff, etc' - just open wmpoweroff and search for "enlightenment" to see what I'm taking about. This code must go into all the "*wm*" scripts right after the Xfce handling code. I'll take a look at this problem this weekend.

ragaman - yes, absolutely; just make sure the module is built on this Puppy or a Puppy with a very similar E17 version that has the exact paths as this one. You should build the module if you really want it.

Also - I want to try to disable the compositor and the file manager, as runtt21 suggested. They're unstable and the compositor is very slow, it is definitely no match for a proper compositing window manager.

Oh, and more good news - I'm working on a NEW project. Yes, another one. It's an automated infrastructure for automated remaster procedures.

It's a series of scripts (e.g "extract_iso", "extract_sfs", "add_pet", "create_sfs", etc') that can be used to write a remaster script. Now imagine you built the latest Geany on both 4.3.1 and 5.2.5 (automatically, of course, using Puppizard :)) and want to do remasters of both with the new package. This nifty tool allows you to write a script which performs the whole remastering process, automatically and in a fail-safe way.

I want to take advantage of this tool in the next dpup build. My plan is to build a truly barebones dpup named simply "dpup" using Woof, with the magnificent 2.6.32 kernel, hopefully 2.6.32.43. Then, a remaster script will be used to transform it from a plain dpup into a "Macpup", with E17 and traditional Puppy applications. The same technique should work with 5.2.5 and a E17 PET. I hope you understand my initiative. I think it's quite a good idea - the second alpha and the third alpha could be built from the same base Puppy. I think it's very nice, since you can always "roll back" changes and build more derivatives very easily, while preserving the solid base.

puppyiso

#15 Post by puppyiso »

Iguleder, I truly thank you for answering my humble request.

I wish you all the happiness for your doing something nice to a guy like me.

Very nice.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#16 Post by Béèm »

To get out of the never ending reboot and poweroff, I did a logout and on the X prompt I typed reboot. This did a proper shutdown/reboot
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

peebee

#17 Post by peebee »

Béèm wrote:To get out of the never ending reboot and poweroff, I did a logout and on the X prompt I typed reboot. This did a proper shutdown/reboot
Great minds think alike :wink:
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#18 Post by Béèm »

You are right peebee, I missed that part in your post.
Better to say it twice. :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Iguleder

#19 Post by Iguleder »

Working on 002 - I'm updating the Debian repositories at the moment.

Also, there's more news: I'm writing a small, static executable for parsing package lists. It's just an experiment. This thingy should be extremely useful for Woof.

So far this tool is able to process a 30 MB package list (from Debian Squeeze) in 1.5 minutes. :D

Iguleder

#20 Post by Iguleder »

Here it is, what we've been waiting for ... deb2ppm 2.0!

This wild beast is able to convert the Debian Squeeze "main" package list into a PPM one within 62 seconds on my netbook.

It's written in Pascal, use FreePascal to compile it:

Code: Select all

fpc deb2ppm.pas
Still needs polish and some testing, but seems to work just fine :D

I also attached a binary, btw :wink:
Attachments
deb2ppm.gz
(108.79 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
deb2ppm-2.0.tar.gz
sources
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 266 times