OLD: mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ldolse

#91 Post by ldolse »

What OS are you running from the laptop that you want to stream to mpd? It sounds like it might be Linux. Another option for streaming is to have another mpd instance on your laptop which can stream over to the mpdPup machine. Still don't understand what exactly you're trying to do, if it's just to play the odd file off your laptop or if you're try to redirect your whole audio stack.

My main objection to Pulse/Jack is the really complexity they add to the whole audio stack, it's less about the size added to the iso. On other computer audio boards users trying more popular Linux distributions run into endless trouble trying to get MPD to work around them.

Regarding WMA - you might want to try QuodLibet. Apparently it's able to tag asf/wma files in a way that ffmpeg can understand, which will in turn allow mpd to add it to the library. This is based on one of the comments in this page.

I just did some testing and see that you're right that mpd needs to get acquire some metadata in order to add a file to the database - I didn't realize this was the case, something to ping the mpd team on I guess, since theoretically as long as mpd can identify that it's a supported audio format it should be able to add it to the db with a lot of 'unknown' in the standard metadata fields.

Funkmaster

#92 Post by Funkmaster »

Hi, my laptop is running Ubuntu 10.04 and there's another Ubuntu 10.04 laptop in use around here, and a Mac Air running OS X of unknown version.. And then and now the odd W-s computer for a visit, but that's not important in this case. Yes, what I want to do is redirect the audio stack, preferably from any of these computers, over the network to the box running mpdpup that is connected to the speaker system. So it's really only about not having to run a cable from the laptop to connect it to the speakers, but it would be really neat to let the mpdpup thin client box handle all computer audio output, regardless of the source of it.
Does pulseaudio cause issues with mpdpup because of resource use, or because it manipulates the sound in some way? I had mpd play fine on my laptop with pa, only it didn't support wma..

ldolse

#93 Post by ldolse »

Pulse screws up the audio stack in a way that's not audiophile friendly - I've seen numerous discussions on people trying to get various Linux systems (often Ubuntu) working with bit-perfectly with MPD, and Pulse is usually the cause of their problems. I'm not fully versed on what it does, but I think one problem is it re-samples all audio to a single sample rate, it also seems to break MPD's ability to address the sound hardware directly/exclusively using ALSA.

All that said, I don't think Pulse Audio is exactly what you want on mpdPup, as both Pulse and MPD would be competing for access to the sound device. I think the Icecast/Shoutcast route as discussed before is still probably the best choice.

Check out these URLs for how to install Icecast and configure it to work with Pulse.
http://www.adriancoroian.com/technical- ... ntu-10-10/
http://www.damonkohler.com/2009/01/stre ... -with.html
http://tormod.landet.net/2009/06/19/str ... queezebox/

Basically once you have it setup per the above instructions on the mpd machine you just need to type:
mpc clear
mpc add http://<server_ip>:8000/stream.ogg
mpc play

Several clients will let you then save that as a playlist then for easy loading in the future.

Regarding WMA, I'm working on the next build, and I've re-compiled ffmpeg with some different compile time options - not yet sure if that's part of the problem but I'll keep you posted.

pcm7985

Client175, Remuco, Share...

#94 Post by pcm7985 »

Great work, thanks a lot for this package!!!

I have set up mpdPup on a 500GB USB drive, plugged this and a USB sound card (with TOSlink!) into a small box and am glad to have bit-perfect audio without juggling CDs!

I added client175 as a frontend, which was very easy.

Now I'd like to add some more functions. And here's my problem: I need to install python modules, remuco (to use an old smart phone as remote control. Btw: is there a .pet?), samba-TNG. But I just can't install thru a ssh session, and remote desktop to my Ubuntu machine does not work (don't know why).

What am I missing? Any help is appreciated!

ldolse

#95 Post by ldolse »

Hi pcm7985, glad it's working well for you thus far. Regarding your Python question, at the moment Python isn't built into the livecd, the two python apps that are bundled in were created using pyinstaller to avoid the overhead of a full Python install.

That said, I'm working on the next version of this LiveCD, which will probably be available in the next week or two. I'm bundling a full Python install in that version, maintaining pyinstaller based builds had too few benefits and too many drawbacks - so the simplest solution would be to wait.

If you don't want to wait that long, the next easiest thing to do would probably be to simply build Python on the system - you can do this by loading up the devx file in the first post, which will give you a full development environment.

On a related note, I hadn't heard about remuco, I may bundle that into the new build as well, need to dig into it a bit more.

PET-240

#96 Post by PET-240 »

G'day Idolse,

This looks most interesting, been arguing with voyage for a bit, still trying to find a card reader that will work under Linux......or windows apparently.
Couple of questions
You mention about a release coming, is it far away, should I try to get this running on my Alixboard now?
You definately seem to be looking at the noobies like me. Are the wizards removed once installed or they just sit and do nothing during run?
Once going, what can be trimmed off to make this as slim as possible to remove processes?
Have you got the local hdd for music storage up yet, if so, can this drive be seen on the network so files can be transferred to it that way?
Enough from me, thanks for the efforts to do this, really much appreciated!

Cheers,

Drew.

ldolse

#97 Post by ldolse »

Hi Pet-240, thanks for checking this out - answers inline. Let me know how things go with the Alix board if you do go forward with it - I haven't tested with that board, but I have with a similar Soekris board - I believe it should work for the most part (with the possible exception of the serial console). Just follow the ssh install instructions from the first post.
PET-240 wrote:been arguing with voyage for a bit, still trying to find a card reader that will work under Linux......or windows apparently.
Sorry you're having bad luck with card reader - in my experience just about any should work, under Linux or Windows - for mpdPup you want one that works under Windows.

PET-240 wrote:You mention about a release coming, is it far away, should I try to get this running on my Alixboard now?
I'm actually hoping to get it released in about a week, but best laid plans and all that - getting started now shouldn't be a big deal - upgrading is basically a matter of swapping out a single file on the Compact Flash card, though it will require removing it from the Alix board, which can require a bit of effort depending on the case.

PET-240 wrote:You definately seem to be looking at the noobies like me. Are the wizards removed once installed or they just sit and do nothing during run?
Once going, what can be trimmed off to make this as slim as possible to remove processes?
Linux noobs are a big target, yes - although frankly I prefer using the wizards myself rather than trawling through the various files that need to be modified after a change is made. The wizards only run automatically on the first boot for the system setup, after that they sit on the disk doing nothing until you need to make a change, and you can start them manually at that point.

In terms of reducing processes or files, there isn't really anything you need to do - it's already set up out of the box to run a bare minimum of processes. The only process that's enabled by default which could arguably be disabled is lighttpd, which currently serves album art for mpd clients which support it. In the next release the wizard will ask you whether you want to turn it off or expand it's capabilities by adding mpd web clients.

PET-240 wrote:Have you got the local hdd for music storage up yet, if so, can this drive be seen on the network so files can be transferred to it that way?
The local HD is now supported, although there is a bug with NTFS that I'll be sorting out in this next release (no problems with FAT/HFSPLUS). Making the drive visible on the network is not yet possible - that requires a fairly sizable package to be installed/cofigured, as well as more running services, so it hasn't been a high priority, but it is on the TODO list for some future release (not the next one)

PET-240

#98 Post by PET-240 »

G'day Again,

Most of that makes sense, will try and have an argument later with it, re the hdd, can one use a larger CF Card and keep music files on that?
Is there any advantage to doing it this way? Only ask as the Alix has an IDE header onboard and I could run a ssd through a Sata to IDE adaptor. Not being able to update over the network is a pain, though I understand where you are coming from! But I dont want to use USB for anything but the dac. A 32gig cf isn't that expensive anymore.
Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Drew.

PET-240

#99 Post by PET-240 »

Meant to ask, does this have the web interface GUI as yet?

Had little sleep this side of the pond so memory not so great right now!

ldolse

#100 Post by ldolse »

No web interface in the current download - the next release will include php, and the wizards will provide a list of web clients that it can download, install, and configure.

ldolse

#101 Post by ldolse »

PET-240 wrote:re the hdd, can one use a larger CF Card and keep music files on that?
Is there any advantage to doing it this way? Only ask as the Alix has an IDE header onboard and I could run a ssd through a Sata to IDE adaptor. Not being able to update over the network is a pain, though I understand where you are coming from! But I dont want to use USB for anything but the dac. A 32gig cf isn't that expensive anymore.
Any suggestions appreciated!
The wizards don't support the boot drive and music drive on the same piece of hardware/partition - if you're comfortable editing the mpd & client configuration file yourself you could make this work though. It might also be doable with the wizards if you partition the drive on Windows with a small boot partition separate from a data partition - not sure if this will work as I haven't explored that as an option too much.

I fully understand where you're coming from though - agree that sharing a DAC and a USB hard disk on the same bus is not ideal. My answer to that at the moment is to use a separate file server/NAS, but better support for your scenario is something I'll need to put some though into.

PET-240

#102 Post by PET-240 »

Hey if you can think about it I can test it.......

Also, I noticed on one of the voyage hack sites(Japan?) they are using OSS? No idea what this would do and whether it supports 24/192? Can try to send a link soon, can get there off the voyage site. May give some further ideas long term? Though I don't think you have any issues regarding ideas!
I'll set it up nas wise and we can play from there!
How hard you reckon to whack on a apple tv 1st gen?

ldolse

#103 Post by ldolse »

I've looked into OSS before, but previous releases have required that the user actually purchase it, so it's not something that can be added into a livecd like this. Looks like they've changed their licensing recently, so I may dig into it more in the future.

Whacking it on an Apple TV would be a no-go, Apple is using ARM, this is compiled for Intel/x86 processors. ARM support is a someday way in the future thought at the moment - once I get a more formalized build system up and running it may be doable, as that's something that the Puppy Linux team is currently working on. Edit - I just saw that the first gen Apple TV is Intel - so it should be possible theoretically, but I've got no idea what it would take.

PET-240

#104 Post by PET-240 »

Heya!

Have another post I thought was here but app not..... Will go find!

Good news bout apple tv, will see what can be done, there is one about with voyage, so if it can, am sure we can figure it out. Poss more you!

PET-240

#105 Post by PET-240 »

Problem.........

Its too easy..........

Bought new CF card reader, formatted to Fat32, loaded unetbootin, did the point at .iso and shoot, lo and behold, it loaded.

Now I wait for the WaveIO the show up to do the first boot etc, will need to ssh to the Alix, and go from there.

Is it any issue to run off the CF Card rather than boot into RAM? What difference does it make? Too slow for the OS or something? Not have the music files as per earlier asked on the CF, Just run the OS from there. Figure frees up the RAM for playing music from........

So now I wait......but not for you!

Bloody Marvellous!

Thanks Isolde!

ldolse

#106 Post by ldolse »

Running out of RAM will eliminate any IO on the IDE bus, which should be a good thing in terms of maximal audio quality. MPD doesn't really use any RAM besides a small buffer, so the rest of the memory isn't doing much. If you loaded tracks into a RAM disk you might be able to leverage more memory, and that's certainly possible, but not part of the way mpdPup's wizards set things up today. The main reason to run off the CF would be for systems which have very little memory, e.g. 64-256MB.

Should be fairly straightforward once you ssh in.

PET-240

#107 Post by PET-240 »

Righto, think the Alix only has 256MB RAM, so will see, will try first and play later.
Going to repurpose an old pc with FreeNAS next couple of days so will use an old router for a stand alone network to play with.

Once I get the WaveIO, hopefully in the next week, I can fire it up!

Thanks again for making it easy!

Cheers,

Drew.

audiosm

#108 Post by audiosm »

Post subject: Mpdpup won't play music from USB hard drive

Hello - I need some help with the mpdpup , I have an external USB drive with my music on it , but cannot seem to get mpdpup to play from it .
My system is an old DEL laptop - USB stick for mpdpup as per the instructions - USB DAC - USB external hard drive

I am a very much a beginner with linux , but did manage to get mpdpup to play from the PC local hard drive and was very happy with the sound quality , but 99% of my music is on the external USB hard drive using ntfs

The external hard drive can be mounted using xwin and mount - then the mpdpup setup sees the folders in the external drive and they can be set as the as the root for music . However after a save and restart the music directory is found not to be mounted , and mpd does not work . No music can be played from the external USB
hard drive .

what should I do next ? , I read from a previous post that a file called fstab may need to be edited , I found the file and tried to add the external hard drive (sdc1) but no luck adding the line below - probably wrong
/dev/sdc1 /music auto defaults 0 0

I am much more an audio dabbler than PC and do not understand much of linux , just learning what mount is etc

Any assistance , or direction to help , would be appreciated

PET-240

SSH

#109 Post by PET-240 »

Hey Idolse,

For those of newbies to this, namely me, how do I SSH in precisely? The WaveIO showed up today and am itching to do the first boot......

Just the description on the front page makes it sound simple but I know not how! Perhaps an update there for those of us new?

Thanks,

Drew.

PET-240

#110 Post by PET-240 »

Next thought.

How do I add a user so I don't always login as root?

And I seem to be doing something wrong with MPod, it doesn't connect or see the server. Nor can I really figure the correct settings.

On another note, I found the music HDD without any drama!

Thanks Idolse!