OLPC Dual Boot XOPuppy?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
WhyNot?

OLPC Dual Boot XOPuppy?

#1 Post by WhyNot? »

Have Puppy Linux Rev2.2 for the XO and MUCH appreciate the support from OLPC forum persons (Mavrothal!) who assembled this software platform based on Puppy.

Those same persons are likely aware of which support libraries SPECIFICALLY vary between the XO1 and XO1.5 hardware since they've designed XOPuppy to run on both hardware systems. For that reason, I'm curious as to whether a dual boot SD card would be practical, seems you could choose during the boot process.

This would save having to boot from separate SD cards and resetting of software/desktop preferences as well as re-installation of favorite apps.

Again, not even sure this is possible (per my last post) but I'm guessing that if it's practical it's been done ALREADY several times by the developers, why would you not?

Thanks again, Puppy Linux kicks butt! :D

mavrothal

Re: OLPC Dual Boot XOPuppy?

#2 Post by mavrothal »

WhyNot? wrote: Those same persons are likely aware of which support libraries SPECIFICALLY vary between the XO1 and XO1.5 hardware since they've designed XOPuppy to run on both hardware systems. For that reason, I'm curious as to whether a dual boot SD card would be practical, seems you could choose during the boot process.

This would save having to boot from separate SD cards and resetting of software/desktop preferences as well as re-installation of favorite apps.
I guess I missed that post, sorry.

The ONLY difference between XO-1 and XO-1.5 in XOpup and other XO-specific puppy builds is the kernel (included in the boot10 and boot15 folder respectively)
I routinely boot XO-1 and XO-1.5 from the same USB or SDcard. You just need to crate 2 different save files and load the proper one when prompted during boot.
Usually I boot the XO-1 and save in a save file. Then I just add an empty file next to it with the name {xopup,precise,slacko}save_fake.2fs depending on what I use. Booting the XO-1.5 for 1st time it asks which save file to use. I pick "0" and then when shutting down save to a new save file. Then delete {xopup,precise,slacko}save_fake.2fs, and you are good to go in either machines.

If you want a full install things are a bit more tricky,as you must modify the rc.shutdown to remove several files related to xorg (/etc/X11/xorg.conf), network (/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules) sound (/etc/alsastate) and probably others. Never really tried it but these 3 files are certainly different between XO-1 and XO-1.5 and are recreated (correctly) if not present. You may want to try it!
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

WhyNot?

Dual Booting for XoPuppy users

#3 Post by WhyNot? »

Thanks Mavrothal. I've tweaked with the configuration settings but hadn't thought to simply "Swap" the setup files generated on my SD card.

As I've said, that would seem to allow user settings and apps. to be interchangeable, less necessary setup and downloading required.

By the way, I was "Why" on the OLPC site, suppose you've already guessed that :-)

Again, appreciate the support, thanks for a functional and user friendly XO1 & XO1.5 platform 8)