droope

Things to do with an old computer

#1 Post by droope »

Hiya!

Though, since you guys like old computes, that you might like this:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/14 ... -computer/

Cheers!
Droope
What seems hard is actually easy, while what looks like impossible is in fact hard.

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.â€￾ –Percy Cerutty

[url=http://droope.wordpress.com/]Mi blog[/url] (Spanish)

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

I love old computers. At this point, I don't know how many I have or where I put them.

~

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

The real Q is... What are they capable of?
A 200 Pentium makes a good jukebox, 2ghz or more a good movie machine.
Used to be 500mhz was good for a web browser, but not any more, 1ghz at least.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

sunburnt wrote:The real Q is... What are they capable of?
A 200 Pentium makes a good jukebox, 2ghz or more a good movie machine.
Used to be 500mhz was good for a web browser, but not any more, 1ghz at least.
Go back to 486 and continue forward. Am I a pack rat? Maybe. It is hard for me to just toss hardware out. The old 486s might even have controller type SoundBlaster and controller modems. Can't throw em out without checking.

~

sunburnt

#5 Post by sunburnt »

Yeah.! I know what you mean, I gave about 6 Pcs to Goodwill here.
One was an old 900mhz Thunderbird, just wasn`t using it.

alienjeff

#6 Post by alienjeff »

sunburnt wrote:Used to be 500mhz was good for a web browser, but not any more, 1ghz at least.
Thank the bloatmasters at Mozilla for moving to xulrunner.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

klhrevolutionist

#7 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I usually give mines away or if possible sell them. Am still trying to rid myself of this eMac 1GHz, 1GB ram, cd/dvd-rw. I told a friend in Mississippi he could have it due to his financial situation.

I don't know what gives you folks the warm & fuzzies but helping out folks does me fine.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

navegante

#8 Post by navegante »

Customers often give me old pc´s, most of them not working. I repair and give them to people who need one or never had one. Those computer are reused once again for nearly two or three years with Winxp, Debian or Puppi as mediacentre, thinclient, for learning purposes, home administration, gaming, ...... It´s help for people who need opportunities in a third world country like mine. It makes me happy giving happiness and future to others, sometimes whole families. More then ten, less then fifteen computer were given in the last jears by me to others.
A lot of people would not have a computer if the first world would not send their "scrap". The best is to reuse what can work again, the last stage for a computer should be recycling and city dump.

Shel

#9 Post by Shel »

Many old boxes make good servers. You don't need much CPU power to fun a fileserver, since the limiting speed factor is usually the network. Big old tower cases have room for lots of disks, too.

Or set up a PXE server so you can do fast installations of your favorite OS.

Or a mailserver, if you like that sort of thing.

Or a firewall.

Almost anything except a desktop workstation or gaming machine needs a lot less horsepower than you think. The backup server on our home network is a Celeron 600, for example.

I'm typing this on a 2003-vintage laptop which is as thin and as light as a Macbook Air, and cost me all of $100, including the CF card I'm using as an SSD. Sometimes the oldies are goodies, indeed.

-Shel