Multi session dvd needs cd in other drive to boot?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
punwit

Multi session dvd needs cd in other drive to boot?

#1 Post by punwit »

Yesterday I burned a copy of puppy1.08 multi session live dvd. First boot up went fine. I saved the session and went to boot up today but the system wouldn't boot from the dvd player. At one point I put a live cd of grafpup in the cdrom device while puppy live dvd was still in the dvd device. At bootup Grafpup began to load but Puppy took over at some point. It seems that I can only get the Puppy multi session to boot when the cdrom device is also occupied. I will experiment to see if it will boot with something besides another live cd. Any assistance would be much appreciate.

punwit

#2 Post by punwit »

Ok, I've reproduced this behaviour with a fresh multi-session dvd. I used Grafpup livecd to download and burn the iso following the directions posted on how to burn a multi-session dvd. I then rebooted after removing the Grafpup from the cdburner device. With the freshly made dvd I was able to boot up Puppy. I configured the cd and dvd devices, downloaded and installed xsane and configured my printer and scanner. I proceeded to shutdown and chose to save the session to the dvd. When I tried to reboot the dvd starts to spin up but then I get my grub list from the Libranet I have installed to the hard drive. Further exploration proved that I could get the dvd (in hdc) to boot up only if I had Grafpup in the cd drive (hdb). Grafpup starts to boot and then it's obvious that Puppy has taken over. I was able to remove Grafpup and Puppy continued to boot properly. Would this have anything to do with the Master/slave setup for my hard drive and burners?

punwit

#3 Post by punwit »

I just chatted with J_Rey on IRC and he suggested that I add a few things. He suggested that I separate this into 2 problems. The first issue is not being able to boot off of the dvd after a saved session and the second issue is with Grafpup accessing Puppy. I also need to add that I took one of the dvd's that exhibited this behaviour to a friend and it booted up on his laptop.

punwit

#4 Post by punwit »

I'm curious why NO one has responded to this topic. I'm more than willing to provide more info if someone tells me what to provide. I'm really enthusiastic about puppylinux and I would love to further the progress of this most excellent distro. Does this dilemma interest no one?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

It interests me, but since it is so odd, and the disk boots on another computer, it seems as though the problem must be in your hardware. What does the BIOS configuration look like? Have you tried a different version of Puppy, for instance Puppy2 alpha?

punwit

#6 Post by punwit »

Flash, I have not tried puppy2 alpha yet but perhaps sometime in the next week I'll give that a go. As far as the bios config goes, what are you suggesting I look at? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

I don't know what to look for. :) To start with, just get into the BIOS and see how it's configured. Maybe something will be obvious. I'd check the order that the BIOS looks for bootable media. If you never boot from floppy, or don't even have a floppy as I don't, then the CD/DVD drive should be where the BIOS looks first, followed by the hard drive if there is no bootable disk in the CD/DVD drive.

Another possibility is that the jumper on the back of the CD/DVD drive, that tells the computer whether the drive is a master or slave, etc, may be misconfigured. The "Cable select" position works fine in all my computers but people have told me it gives problems in older computers.