Multisession live CD save prompt at poweroff

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
navegante

Multisession live CD save prompt at poweroff

#1 Post by navegante »

I have a multisession live CD with wary 511 and I want to be able to save to CD beeing in the session, but when I poweroff I don´t want to be prompted for saving, I don`t want to save (at poweroff) and I don´t want the CD to be ejected.
How can I achive this?

I need this for a (hdd) diskless remote desktop client, P3 450 mhz, 256mb ram, wary 511 multisession live cd on cd reader (configured with a cd-writer) which works nearly perfect. On poweroff appears the prompt for saving and the cd is ejected. The user has nothing to save, wants a clean poweroff and I need the possibility of saving, beeing in session in case I have to configure.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

After the first time you've saved to a CD (or DVD), creating a multisession CD (or DVD), there will be a Save icon on the desktop which you can click to save to the CD (or DVD) instead of waiting to shut down.

I only save to my multisession DVD when I've changed a setting or installed a program I want to keep. Non-Puppy related stuff, I save in a USB flash drive I mount when I need it.

navegante

#3 Post by navegante »

Thank you for your answer. The save to cd icon is there on the desktop, I didn`see it. Puppi will be used not by me but someone else. Puppi works as remote desktop client and in this case with this pc is the only task it has to do. The save prompt and the cd ejection at poweroff is in this case unneeded and disturbing, the cd is not on a cd writer any more and the user has nothing to change. If someone knows how to stop this behaviour at poweroff.........

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Okay, so you don't want to be able to save, either by clicking the icon on the desktop or at shutdown.

You can easily remove the desktop Save icon, by right-clicking it and choosing Remove item(s). This only removes the icon from the desktop, but that should be enough.

As for removing the Save option at shutdown, I'm sure there are several ways it could be done but I don't know any of them. I just turn off the power if I don't want to save anything to my multisession DVD. As long as nothing is mounted, that can't hurt anything.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

I am not sure about Wary, but if you do nothing when the selection to save appears it will just shutdown. 60 sec time limit.
Try it and see what happens.

The file that handles shutdown is
rc.shutdown

You would need to edit this file to get what you want, but not sure how.
Not a simple file to edit.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)