How to chroot from 1.0.7 Live CD with * Linux on HD

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
dewdrop

How to chroot from 1.0.7 Live CD with * Linux on HD

#1 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Pups,

The * indicates any Linux distribution you might have on your hard drive.

I have Ubuntu 5.10 installed on my hard disk, and I boot Puppy 1.0.7 from CD.

After reading about the chroot process on another how-to thread, I thought it would be fun to see if I could get it to work and be able to use GNUCash from Puppy....and other programs too, but that was my principal need.

After Puppy was up and running, I opened the Console and typed (after the #)

chroot /mnt/home

This brought up a new line

root@puppypc;/#

I then typed in
gnucash

and after a couple of seconds, it began loading. After it was finished, I found my gnucash file, loaded it, and I made a couple of obvious changes, then closed it. I then went to Ubuntu, looked at the gnucash file and the changes were there.

I have not tried getting it to run the Ubuntu O/S - remember I'm still a beginner at this type of stuff, and even getting this far absolutely amazes me.

The other thread talked about getting one of the other distrubutions to work from puppy, so I thought I would start a new thread for all the other distros that are tried by various people.

Try it and see if you can get your "must needed" program to work inside puppy.

dewdrop

dewdrop

How to chroot from Puppy2

#2 Post by dewdrop »

Hi again,

I have the March 12 update of puppy2 downloaded and am successful adding things to it using the save button on the desktop (but not the save on shutdown or reboot).

The attached screendump shows what my puppy2 desktop looks like with the programs from Ubuntu 5.10 that I'm able to run.....I cannot just click on the icons and have the program run, I have to use the console and after typing

chroot /mnt/hda1

then I can type the words of the program you see under the ERROR words in the console and the program will begin: (example: oowriter2).

I just passed the mouse over the different ERROR words and the familiar silver round icon re-appeared.

dewdrop
Attachments
desktop of puppy2 with icons for Ubuntu programs.png
(25.58 KiB) Downloaded 798 times