Mint 19 is out. How about updating Mintpup?

News, happenings
labbe5

Mint 19 is out. How about updating Mintpup?

#1 Post by labbe5 »

Since Mint 19 is out, we could force Mintpup to use Tara repositories in source file.

Lately, i have tried to do this, upgrading to sarah repositories, instead of rebecca. It was not met with success, because of my not being able to have libgtk3 installed and properly configured.

Here is how Mint is upgraded, and possibly Mintpup could be upgraded the same as well.

First, you do an update : #apt update
Then an upgrade : #apt upgrade
When all packages are updated/upgraded, you open the apt source file, and you replace rebecca with tara. If there are ubuntu repositories as well, you should replace trusty with bionic.

When that is done, you save the apt file, and update: #apt update
Mintpup should be updated using tara and bionic repositories.

Up to now, nothing has really changed. Now the big change is coming, and some trouble to be solved.

As a final step, we do : #apt dist-upgrade.

As a result, if all went well, Mintpup should be upgraded, and be usable for another five years with security updates.

At least, this is the upgrading process for Debian, Ubuntu and Mint.

Let's experiment.
Last edited by labbe5 on Sat 30 Jun 2018, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

At least, this is the upgrading process for Debian, Ubuntu and Mint
Puppy does not update the way these Linux OS do.
It will never update this way.

A named version of Puppy, that says it is based on a named Linux OS, is nothing like that OS.
It is very much Puppy.

All Puppy is doing, is using the repositories of that other Linux OS, as the source of basic core Linux programs and files, that are needed by any Linux OS.
AND IT IS NOT USING ALL THAT IS POSSIBLE.
Puppy has to get this stuff from someplace, so it gets it from the big Linux OS repositories, because they have the resources to keep up with stuff.

Just because a software package, that was compiled for Mint, will work in Mintpup, is a side benefit.
Most of those Mint packages, are also going to need a lot of added dependency files/programs, to work in Mintpup.
Just updating, because there is something newer, can actually break a Puppy version.
A lot of Puppy is very much Puppy specific code.

Stop trying to think Puppy works like other Linux OS's.

If you want something using newer everything, someone is going to have to make a new Puppy version .
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

darry19662018

#3 Post by darry19662018 »

While that is true for pups, mintpup is a Dog based distro.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 61&t=99909